“Beaches Boscobel (Ocho Rios)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Houston
“Beaches Boscobel (Ocho Rios)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Hands down the best family vacation we had ever. Everyone was ultra friendly. We spent most of our time at the beach and doing scuba diving. It seems that most people stay at the pool (with the bar) instead of the beach. I don't understand why you have to come to Jamaica to stay at the pool eating and drinking when you can do that on the beach but hey...

The beach waiters were incredibly nice, engaging and regularly made sure you were having the best time. Ramone, Shadae and Sunjay were particularly nice everytime we saw them.

My wife and kids got PADI-certified during that time (I was already) and the dive shop staff was just simply incredible. They were very professional as PADI instructors should be, and went out of their way to make it the best vacation we could have ever hoped for. We went at the beach every day to dive and had a wonderful time with all of them, even well after the dives were done. Marvin, Teran, Claude, Otoi, and Prince (instructors) were incredibly nice and we enjoyed all our days in their company. Teran became the big brother for my 3 kids and spent numerous hours (overtime) to ensure my kids got their certification. We loved spending time with us after hours on several occasions and learn to know them better. These guys were the cream of the cream when it comes to making us feel great! I hope they will all be there again when we come back to this resort, which we will likely do.

Dashaun and Donald, the dive boat "captains", were also amazing with our kids and always took care of us during these wonderful 2 weeks. From day one, Gregory, from the water sport department introduced himself and we talked almost everyday. He also made sure we had the best vacation possible everytime we saw him.

In the Water sports department, Judy was from day one as charming and nice as anyone could have been. She made sure we had everything we wanted at all time. We had a great time discussing daily with her about life in Jamaica, and learned about this wonderful country. We look forward to see her and all the water sports staff again, really, they were the ones that made our vacation unique!

We mostly spent all our time with the scuba diving and water sports staff and Patrick, the manager, can be proud of having such a dedicated and nice staff. If you go to this resort, you shouldn't avoid meeting, talking and spending a lots of time with all these people; they are wonderful and without them, I am sure we wouldn't have spent such a nice vacation. Please people, be nice to all of them. We saw many "guests" that were rude with them but at no time did the staff showed any kind of frustration. They always tried to be accommodating.

Now on the facilities. The room (Mega Suite) we had was great and we have 3 beds and one sofa, and a nice balcony. During the summer, it appears that they renovate the resort, so there was a little noise in some of the beach front area, but we couldn't hear that at all from our room.
Please inquire about this before you reserve the room. I can understand this would be a problem for some rooms.

The food and drinks were very very good. We stayed 2 weeks so after a week, we saw the same themes again, but rarely the same meals. Here again, the staff were amazing and helpful.
Friday's Sea Food nights at the buffet were the best of all themes.

Overall, wonderful time, and thank you to all the wonderful staff!!! We WILL come back there again.

Room Tip: Check that renovations do not take place around your rooms while you visit.
4 Thank Chris P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (899)
Saint Gabriel, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We booked this trip through beaches...never did they say it was under construction. It took four days for us to get a working refrigerator. The resort is now leased out and beaches doesn't own it. The general manager has only been there a month...serivce is awful, food is awful, the security that does not secure you from the people standing next to the watersports begging you to come off the resort. You would think that beaches would care that they are losing money to them. Flies on the food and it takes all day to get your room clean and get fresh towels.
Our family of three spent more in 6 days here than we do buying 3 7 night cruises. Save your money and go on a cruise where service matters.

Room Tip: No room is good at this place.
3 Thank Dana M
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry to hear that your experience at our resort did not meet your expectations; however, after speaking with you privately, I'm glad that the management and staff at Beaches Boscobel were able to address the issues mentioned. It's very important for our guests to know that even if we don't meet our standard 100% of the time, we certainly try to redeem ourselves in any way possible.

We are always appreciative of any client feedback received, as it helps us to ensure that we make the necessary improvements to boost guest satisfaction.

We hope to see you return in future.

Cassie C.
Review Coordinator
Sandals & Beaches Resorts
nj.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

My family and I recently vacationed at Beaches Boscobel and we also got married on 6/24/12. It was an all around wonderful expierence! The staff makes the resort what it is! From Bruce at Arizonas to Ruth at BBQ park and Sean Shaw greeting us at the front to the most wonderful person Patrick in watersports!!!! We thank them all! All the bartending staff, the teen club coordinator and the wedding coordinators were wonderful as well! This was our second time at this resort. The expierence was just a great the second time around! The wedding we had there was amazing! I wouldn't have chosen anywhere else! The only complaint I had was the pictures from the wedding! Our photographer Richard did a beautiful job taking the photos but we didn't get to view as many at the resort as we are getting to view at home on the Snapshots website. We purchased 25 on a disc for $460.00 but now on the snapshots website we can't get downloaded pictures we can only purchase prints for $20.00 a piece. Since we didn't get to view all of them and we want to purchase alot of pictues, it will cost a small fortune. They only keep them on the website for 30 days. This was very upsetting to us!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank carson7487
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

My family of 4 spent a week in July 2012 at Beaches Boscobel in Jamaica and this was our second visit to this resort. Sadly, this was nowhere near the great experience we had during our first visit in 2009. The resort has significant construction going on and it is very loud and intrusive. We were aware of the construction prior to our visit and were told by the assistant manager that the majority of major construction was complete and there would be no jack hammers being used by the time of our stay. Well, that proved to be false as the jack hammering continued all week. Please see the link to a few clips I took of the construction. The video is just a very small sampling and really doesn’t do justice to how loud and annoying this was all week.

If you plan on visiting Beaches Boscobel, do everything you can to avoid getting a room on the west wing of the property. There are chickens and roosters that live just outside the rooms on that side of the resort and the roosters woke us up at 5:30 every morning. We and several others complained to the front desk, but as you might suspect, they could care less. We talked to the assistant manager again and he said that technically the roosters lived next door to Beaches, but wandered over and there was nothing they could do. We asked to be moved to another room and offered to pay for an upgrade, but were told nothing was available for the entire week.

We experienced a number of issues with our room and usually we can deal with little things, but when combined this became very frustrating. On our first full day there, we realized our door was not locking when we left the room, so basically our room was unlocked while we were out and about the night before. Okay, no big deal. We called and they sent someone to fix it in less than an hour. The next morning our safe will not lock. It took 3 calls and two hours of waiting before someone showed up to look at it. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my morning while my family was at breakfast. Anyway, someone spent about 30 minutes fixing it. Later that evening we had trouble with the safe again, but finally got it locked and went to dinner. When we got back from dinner, the safe door was open because the lock stopped working. We called the front desk again and the same repair guy came back and starting working on it again. He originally thought it was user error, but after 30 minutes he needed to go get a part because the safe’s circuit board needed to be changed. He finished up around 10 PM, we locked the safe and he was certain this would solve our problem. The next morning we were up bright and early thanks to the rooster and found the safe door was again wide open, so whatever he fixed the night before didn’t work. We call the front desk again and express that this is getting pretty frustrating, so after 30 minutes, Gordon, the operations manager, came to look at our safe. He goes through the same steps as the previous repair person and explains that he needs to replace the safe, but that means we need to clear it out until they get it done. So I took all of our cash, cell phones, Ipods, camera, etc.. with me to the beach all day. I must say I wasn’t real comfortable with that, but I was not about to leave it all in the room. It took all day, but Gordon got the safe replaced and it worked for the rest of the trip. Too bad Gordon couldn’t solve the rooster issue, which was the biggest problem with this room.

Anyone who has been to Sandals or Beaches knows that the “Soon Come Back” team spends their time trying to sell you a vacation for the following year. Their prices and perks can be enticing. They provided us with quotes for several resorts that looked reasonable. After the rooster woke us on day 5 of our trip, I think we were a little tired and cranky, so we told the soon come back rep that we would not be coming back. Within minutes of that conversation they found us another available room. Since we only had two full days left we decided that it was too late in the week to re-pack and declined.

It wasn’t all bad though. The majority of staff at this resort were really nice. Ripton and Richard at the piano bar were fun and friendly. Shadea and Sanjay who served drinks on the beach both worked really hard and were friendly as well.

Overall the food and service were good at all the restaurants. We went to Eleanor’s and Arizona’s twice each. Great steaks at both. The staff was very helpful with my daughter’s nut allergy. We were always aware of what deserts she needed to avoid and for the most part, there were plenty of nut free foods for her.

As platinum level guests we had a chance to take advantage of the couples massage. I haven’t had a massage in quite a few years and must say it was relaxing. It’s a nice perk for frequent Sandals visitors.

It's difficult for me to be so negative because we have been loyal to Sandals\Beaches resorts for a long time, but with the construction and room related issues we experienced, I don’t see us retuning to any Beaches resorts and may reconsider Sandals as well. Beaches management was not honest with us regarding construction and I am having a difficult time getting past that. I understand that things need updating from time to time, but that is no reason to be dishonest.

Room Tip: The east side of the resort is quiet. Also, I would hold off on visiting this place for a few month...
4 Thank IB-travlin
After speaking privately, I'm glad the management at Beaches Boscobel was able to address some of the issues and provide you with the kind of customer service we strive to attain every day at our resorts.

Thank you for your review. Although we love to hear the good, even the not-so-good reviews help us to improve and ensure that our guests in the future have a seamless and enjoyable stay at our resorts.

We look forward to your return!

Cassie C.
Review Coordinator
Sandals & Beaches Resorts
Gulfport, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

This was our second time there and it was better than the last time. This time around there is some construction going on, hopefully it will be done for next time down. Our kids really enjoyed their stay this time, since last time they were too small the remember. The food was okay, but the bees around the soda and ice cream machine at the BBQ park need to have something done. The water park was great, but the hours are too short closing at 5PM. It would be nice if the resort had a shuttle for a fee go over to Negril for the day to see the other resorts, to maybe get an idea if the y would like to stay there next time. The hand sanitizer machines for the whole week there was empty, even after talking to the Executive Director.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We visited Beaches Boscobel from July 15 to July 19 with our two boys (14 and 20). Overall, we had a great time. We have almost no complaints at all. The staff for the most part really knocked themselves out to make sure we were happy. The rooms are very nice. But let me address these individually:

The resort in general: This is a very family oriented resort. It seemed to be many more smaller kids than older ones. Pirates Island caters to both pre-teens and well as teens. There is a section of the play area that has lots of water activities just for smaller children. Then there is a separate section for older kids. I have been to resorts where the staff are overbearing in the name of safety. However I found BBO to be a good mix - the waterpark staff were very nice to our kids but I also felt that it was safely operated.

Food: First, I want to say that the food is awesome at BBO. I love Bayside breakfast. However, I found that the selection of restaurants was pretty limited. First, I strike off Eleanor's since it is more formal. So that leaves Bayside (buffet), Arizona's (Tex-Mex), and Venetian (Italian) for dinner. You will have a long wait at both Arizona's and Venetian. But don't let that stop you. Remember that you are on island time so why be in a hurry. The food at both places is great. We went to both of these twice. At Bayside, you can slide right in. For lunch we did Bayside and BBQ Park. BBQ Park has "fast food" like stuff - burgers, hot dogs, etc. This is the only place that I had issue with. It seemed like the ladies that worked at BBQ Park was not the most friendly. This is not based on a single encounter - I noticed this several times. The wait staff was fine, but for the walk-up service you deal directly with the people behind the counter. A few times they seemed down right surly.

Entertainment: In a word - GREAT! The evening shows were really good and the playmakers work hard to make sure everyone has a good time. Nighttime at the resort is beautiful.

Beach: This is another area that I was not as happy about. Our room was in the main building. So it is a LONG walk to the beach. Also, the elevators were out so there is many many steps to get down to the beach - which means many many steps to get back up. My wife had recently had knee surgery so this was a big deal for us. I'm sure that once the elevators are repaired, this will be a non-issue. The beach is rather small compared to the other Sandals and Beaches I have visited. However, it still did not seem crowded. One thing I did note is that the boat people (the guys that hang around on the their small boats and pester the living crap out of you to buy their stuff) where much less here than at other Sandals and Beaches. I really wish something could be done about them.

Watersports: Very nice people. We did snorkeling and I found the crew to be extremely pleasant and helpful. But one thing did confuse me. When we were at the excursion desk booking some off sight events, I inquired about the resort snorkeling trip. The excursion desk person dialed watersports so I could book a trip. Watersports told me that they were booked up for the day and they do not take reservations - "huh?". How can you be booked for the day and not take reservations???? Then then told me to show up the following day but couldn't guarantee a spot. I hung up and told the excursion desk person this. She called them back and was able to make a reservation for us. The following day when we arrived at the assigned time, I noted that Watersports had a book with lots of "reservations". What the heck?

Room: We had one of the cheaper rooms but it was great. There was lots of room for a family of 4. King bed then a setting area with a pull out couch and a small "roll-a-way" bed. There was a fridge in the room that was stocked every day. Housekeeping was extremely pleasant. Our room was in the East Wing right next to the lobby. It looked onto the ocean. There was a spacious deck that had a table and 4 chairs. We were able to relax there in the evenings and listen to the crickets.

Summary: I would strongly recommend BBO to any family with kids of any age. This is an awesome place to visit and there is so much to do near the resort as well. (see my review on Mystic Mountain).

1 Thank mringold
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed over Spring Break in March for 5 days and wished we would have stayed longer. This was our first time traveling to Jamaica, we had 6 adults and 3 kids (ages 10, 5 & 1). And on top of that, we were getting married at the resort. We stayed with our 5 year old in the concierge Beach Suite room and we chose the Beautiful Beginnings wedding, added the hot hors d’oeuvres & the steel drum band.

The breakdown on the room:
There was plenty of room, we had a pullout sofa and a smaller pullout, which our daughter used. The bathroom was plenty big with a ton of space and big bottles of red lane products to use. Also, there was an in-room safe, microwave, coffee maker, fridge, huge flat panel tv with childrens shows 24/7 and in-room alcohol. I liked that the floor was tile, since having the beach right there, we could come in and use the facilities as we pleased. Of course there is a bit of a walk to other places like the water park and most of the restaurants but then again, we needed to do a lot of walking because of all the food we were eating. The maids did a great job at cleaning up the place, they even made this really cute dog with a towel that my daughter loved. Oh and it was really nice having the table and chairs on the patio, we definitely got to enjoy some of the jerk chicken to go from the barbeque park, which I regret buying some of the marinade from the gift shop. Oh and our other family members stayed in the building by the waterpark and buffet and there basic family room was huge with a nice sitting area just like in the pictures and a nice balcony overlooking the whole resort. They did say they could really hear the music from the main stage but the newly 1 year old didn't have an issue falling asleep in her crib, that the hotel already had setup in there prior to arrival.

Waterpark & beach:
We all enjoyed the waterpark, it wasn't too crowded like others said it might be and the slides were pretty fun. We used the hot tub once & pool bar once as well, since we had the little one we pretty much stayed in the kiddie area whenever we were there. Now the beach to us was nice, they cleaned it every morning and actually we showed up on the right day because people that were there a couple of days before we were said they had shut it down due to rough waters and they opened it back once we arrived. For me with small children, a small private beach with clean water was perfect. I felt safe letting her make friends with others and play in the sand, which was not hot and the water was at a perfect temperature. If you have older children like teenagers, they might want something a bit bigger. Also, there was never an issue finding a spot for our big group to sit and leave our stuff without any worries.

Restaurants:
Our favorite was the Italian restaurant, we ate there twice but do note that it is always best to go early, when they open so you don't have to wait. I don't think we got anything there that we didn't like. My husbands ultimate favorite was barbeque park, he could eat there jerk chicken for every meal if he had a choice. And they were the only place open in the middle of the night, so if you enjoyed one of the few bars they have to choose from, you could always enjoy jerk chicken, jerk burger and fries to get you through until breakfast. For breakfast the only place open is the buffet, which was great so that everyone could have a variety. I will say this, their fresh juices that they have are addicting and I wish I would have brought back more coffee because it was awesome. I even had an espresso in the bar next door one night and it was great. The buffet also does lunch and dinner, which go at dinner on the seafood night, they offered a freshly cooked half lobster dish with a curry sauce and it was awesome! The tex-mex restaurant was good but I only ate there once at lunch and once for dinner the day we got married. Now I have never heard of avocado butter but it was so delicious, we had to keep going back for more and more. The view was great there, the water is so beautiful and the breeze is definitely felt. ***One night near the main pool they had like a chocolate buffet with all kinds of desserts and different kinds of chocolate mixed drinks as well - it was delicious***

Wedding:
At first we thought, we are at the beach, we are going to get married on the beach. WRONG, when we were given a tour and different options we ended up choosing the pier, which was located in the Tex-mex restaurant Arizona's. It was great and intimate. The beautiful beginnings package was just what we needed and the flowers were perfect. I would suggest going ahead and booking any extras ahead of time since prices can go up later, ie hair, make-up and so on. We did bring our own music for the ceremony but they do offer music as well. The ceremony was nice and personal and the coordinator was so nice and accommodating. As for the reception, it was held in the piano bar and the table was set just like in the picture. We paid a little extra for the private reception, which to me was well worth it. The food was great and the cake was really good. We had the steel band playing then and they even let us get in on some of the action. They really did a great job and for the little bit extra spent, I would do it again in a heart beat.

Sesame Street Shows & Day Camps:
I wish would have taken more advantage of the day camp, our daughter loved it. She went on a scavenger hunt with Grover and even made cookies with Cookie Monster and they took pictures that you are able to buy at their photo shop, which to me was WAY worth it. But since we were there only 5 days, we did more family activities together. Now the definite thing to do with little ones is go to the daily Sesame Street show on the main stage, they go gaga over it, which it is really good, they have all the characters except Big Bird which I think is only at Turks.

Overall:
For an all inclusive, I thought the price was great. Just note that there is an hour drive from the airport to the resort. Also, I never had an issue with sand fleas but we did take the precautions and take bug spray which we never used. The people here are great and SO friendly, I don't think we met anyone who wasn't nice. Also, there is a fee for help with baggage at the airport so make sure to have cash on you there. The shops at the resort do take credit cards and some of the staff will not take tips even if you are trying to force them to take it. One more thing is that this is not the Ritz so don't expect it but if you are looking for great family fun, Beaches Resorts are for you.

Room Tip: Beach level was worth the extra couple hundred dollars
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank alicat83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,987 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!