Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
sheffield england
“Irie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2008

Just back from beaches boscobal after spending Christmas and New Year there.We had a fantastic time.The staff are the best I have ever come across in any hotel.Nothing, but nothing was too much trouble for them."yeh mon"Excellent choice of food throughout the various resturants.Amaizing cocktails at all bars but especially entertaining at the main bar thanks to Carlyle,what a star.The resort is looking a little tired in places but not enough to detract from the holiday.
Jamaica is a glorious place full of proud dignified people and some of the most stunning countryside imaginable.Get off the beach and take some trips.Yes there are some less safe areas but so are there in the U.K.Don't be put off.Take a guide and enjoy
Only slight down side was as it is a family resort with quite a few young families the night time entertainment ended quite early for any ardent party amimals

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — entertain,ment finished too early
6 Thank chazSheffieldEngland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2008

We stayed at this resort the last few days of December into January. The resort is beautful! The staff is more than accommodating. We have 2 children who utilized the Kids Camp - what an amazing time they had. Guest rooms were clean and comfortable. Food is superb! Beachfront is clean and beautiful. The resort puts on wonderful nightly entertainment especially on New Year's Eve. Nothing bad to say - our stay was over the top excellent. First time in Jamaica and first time at a Beaches resort - will most definitly come back again!

5 Thank mrsk799
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2008

Location: A couple of hours from the airport. We hired a limousine, rather than the public bus. A limousine wasn't available, we were told, and a private van would be substituted. It was old... (10 years, maybe?) loud, dirty and cramped. We all laughed when we got in. "Really?" we thought? For our 5 star resort?! Ahhh...But this was just the beginning.

A little about the price and what we got: There were five of us. Two adults and three kids. We asked for adjoining rooms for obvious reasons. We paid over $16,000 for the "all inclusive 5 star resort". :)

We arrived on Thursday afternoon to 2 adjoining small rooms..., one with a king-sized bed and one with 2 doubles. These rooms were on the second floor facing the beach. We were moved after three days to 2 other rooms that were larger...each had small living rooms with one couch and a coffee table. One of the rooms was on the second floor, the other on the fifth. Oops! They forgot to tell us they couldn't accommodate our request for adjoining....

We were at the resort for the equivalent of 5 1/2 days and 6 nights, ( $2700ish a night, or around $550 a day per person) Spa services are not included in the price ($180 with tip for an 80 minutes massage. We spent around $600 for spa services) Day trips are also extra (We spent around $3000 for day trips, plus the meals during the trips) Overall, we spent over $20,000. For that, we got:

BAD Food!: 2 out of 5.

Their "fine dining" restaurant's chicken soup, we swore was Campbell's chicken noodle from the can. Regardless of where we ate, one or more of us were unable to tolerate what we ordered. And we're not picky eaters! We all rated the food as "really bad".

Beach: 2 out of 5

The sand is nice. The beach itself is perhaps the length of a football field, by maybe 30 feet. The water sports include windsurfer board (one) with a very long wait. There are a couple of kayaks, a couple of Hobie cats. A 5 man banana float is pulled behind a boat for two hours a day. 3 minute rides are given, which are "photo ops"...Someone in the boat takes pictures while you have a short, slow ride outside the swimming area. We bought snorkeling masks at the beach shop (3 for $90.)...but were not allowed to use them outside the 20 or so feet of the swimming area. Long walks on the beach? Not going to happen! There is no beach beyond the man made beach of Beaches...just cliffs.

Rooms: 2 out of 5. Small and dated. Our beds were made 3 out of 5 days. Turn-down service, twice. We asked for our rooms to be serviced between 8-2 while we had day trips, from 11 to1 when we didn't ( so we could sleep in). Day trip 2...home at 5 to a room untouched. Never was... On the first morning of "sleep in", we had a knock at 8 am... to clean our room. Arrgh!

Service: The people in Jamaica were great... Friendly and hospitable.

Spa: We had a couples massage, a hot rock and an Indian. All were good. When I left to shower, (small locker room) there were two teenage Jamaican girls in front of the mirror, doing their hair and make-up. I waited for about 5 minutes to get access to either sink, before finally giving up! The girls? The daughters of the sales manager, getting ready for the New Years Celebration. They told me they were allowed to come to the resort any time they wanted. Nice perk...except they forgot that they should perhaps give paying guests access to the locker room!

Overall, we wanted the kids to have a good time. They were bored, but thankful they could watch the college games on New Years. Everyone was thankful for the TV's... Night life? :) (Don;t expect your teenage kids to be thrilled here. Or, if I am to believe the two women I chatted with at the spa, your 7 and 9 year olds (They were bored with the kids activites...and the adults had the same types of experiences as we did. Both said they would NOT recommend Beaches.

Will we go back? Not here...or another Beaches of Sandals.

We travel a lot...probably 3 fairly major family trips a year. We have been to a variety of all-inclusive s, in Turkey, Australia, Mexico, etc.

Beaches rates at the FAR bottom of the list. And THAT is unfortunate.. because the Jamaican people themselves wanted nothing more than for us to be thrilled.

• Liked — The people
  • Disliked — The food and the rooms
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank HappyinAtl
Innisfil, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2008

An experience of a lifetime. What can I say other then WOW. My family had a fabulous time and are planning on a return trip this April. Stayed Dec 26th/07- Jan 02/08.
The trip from the airport was just over 2 hrs but it was a great way to see Jamaica, even the return trip we had a great driver who pointed out things along our way.
The hotel was wonderful. When we arrived we were greeted by staff who offered us refreshments and pointed us the way to the front lobby. Reception was very quick and efficient. Our room was a Grand Luxe Ocean view Suite. We had a view of not only the ocean but the pool and surrounding area. The only downfall was we didn't have a balcony but we were hardly ever in the room so it really didn't matter.
We didn't eat in all the restaurants, wished we had. The Venetian, had excellant food. I had the salmon twice, kids enjoyed the lasgana and fettecine. The Arizona, had great food too. The beef tenderloin, rotessorie(sp) chicken and fatija's were all super. The Bayside (buffet) had great food, my eldest ate there several times. Breakfast was great with plenty to offer everyone.
The grounds were beautiful, alot of walking but well worth it. Theres an elevator and it will take you to directly to the beach. While at the beach my kids went on the Glass Bottom Boat ride, used the waterbikes. Theres plenty for eveyone to do.
The Waterpark was alot of fun. My kids even got me to go down them. My favourite is between the orange and grey one. The green one was close to a direct drop and they couldn't get me to go on it. (guess mom was chicken)
I really can't find any faults with the Resort, if the elevator didn't work, all the walking might bother some, however it is all wheelchair accessible.
Entertainment was more the great. The week we were there, the singer was marvelous. We also watched a magican, traditional Jamaican dance, music,and so much more.
So if you go, look for Nordia, Ned, Collette, Camilla(sp) and Big Boy. The staff are great people, we made so many friends, we can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
17 Thank thebrattstoy
Enola PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

There is so much to say about Beaches Boscobel, but I will start with the staff. I miss you Auntie Pat, your craft ideas are still alive and well with my children. We have made so many necklaces and bracelets. Everyone in our hometown of Enola, PA is wearing them. Tanesha I miss you and the other fun pals and all the fun we had by the pool. Richard, my husband misses you and his favorite bartender Carlyle. He also misses the double cheeseburgers at 2 a.m. that only the chef would know about because everyone else was in bed!!!! Don't worry my nanny friends, Tanesha, Tracen, and Vanessa, I didn't forget you. Beaches has the best nannies in the world and Ray Ray wants to come back to b-maica and see you all. I loved Beaches Boscobel and would recommend it to everyone interested in having the time of their lives with their children. The place is clean, safe and comfortable. The staff is, as mentioned, fabulous!!!! Miss Judy, no one has turned down my bed since I left you!!!! Miss Audrey, Ray would love to share chicken with you again.......
I Loved Beaches BOSCOBEL and would return in a moments notice Jamaica is amazing!!!!!

• Liked — The area and the staff
  • Disliked — The long ride to and from the airport
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
13 Thank hotstot
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

Just returned from Winter Break at Boscobel with my husband and two sons (19 and 14.) I'm a vacation-aholic, taking at least 2-3 vacations a year, usually at all-inclusive resorts (Jamaica, Costa Rica, Mayan Riviera) - so I have many resorts to compare this to -- as well as 8 or 9 visits to Beaches properties. The service we received at Boscobel was, without question, the best we've ever encountered. We had wait staff stop at our table at least 3-4 times at each meal asking if we required anything or to refill our glasses. We never passed a staff member anywhere on the grounds without receiving a smile and a greeting. There were plenty of activities - on the beach or by the pool (if anyone wanted to participate) and the rooms were fine. I don't know why this property is so much more affordable than Beaches 'premier
' properties like Turkes & Caicos or Negril. I've visited them both and enjoyed them both - but Boscobel has just as much to offer (and always offered with a smile.) Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and continue to love Beaches!!

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — It's all good...
14 Thank Formann
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

We had a wonderful stay, the staff was excellent and very attentive. The food was great and the drinks were plentiful. We went to Dunn's river falls and also floated the White river. My son and wife went and swam with the stingrays. The time on the resort we spent either around the pool or on the beach, when we were not eating or sleeping. One occasion was especially memorable. A small child was near the pool with her father, he was very involved with entertaining himself and not watching his child. The mother was across the pool with some other members of their party. All of a sudden every one was shouting at the father because the child (approximately 2 1/2 years old) had stepped into the deeper water and was not able to swim. The father failed to respond or even acknowledge he was being yelled at. Everyone seemed to be frozen in place except for a pool attendant " Ned ". This gentleman ran completely around the pool and pulled the terrified child from the water. I personally believe that Ned saved this child. I found the manager and explained to him what had happened and that I was glad he had such an excellent employee.
Our son had an slight ear infection when we left home and on the next to the last day of our stay it had progressed to the point he was in severe pain. The staff nurse could not help much, but summoned a doctor and in a reasonably short time my son was being examined and treated. When we were leaving the nurses station, the hotel manager was at the door inquiring as to the condition of my son.The treatment worked well and we were able to travel back home without any more problems with my son's ear. I am very impressed and we have already booked a return visit for February.

• Liked — The staff was great!!!!!!
  • Disliked — The water park was not finished yet,one of the reasons we are returning.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank Kansas552
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,988 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!