I have to say, before we left, I was quite worried because of some of the reports that I had read. At this point, I figure you just can't please all the people all the time. We just got back yesterday from one week at the resort with our 3, 5 and 8 year old kiddos. We had an amazing trip! There were blips but you're going to face that anywhere. Overall it was a wonderful vacation with incredible staff and facilities.
Trip from airport: My son gets motion sick on buses so we opted for a private transfer to and from the airport. We booked it through Lees Taxi and Tours who we also used for a day outing while there. Our driver Michael was amazing! So knowledgable and so sweet to the children. It took us about 1.5 hours to get to the resort but the road was smooth sailing and it was nice to see the island.
Room: We booked a luxury family suite. I had requested the West wing as it was further from the stage. Our check in was late (about 4pm) which was a bit of a pain but the staff was very nice. Our room was located in the East wing and very close to the stage. I did tell them that the location wasn't good for us but they were booked. After being jolted awake that evening (we were up at 2am to get to teh airport so we all went to bed early ... which we did every night anyway really), I called front desk. That day we were moved to the same room in the other wing. Perfect location, away from the stage and close to teh water park. Our maid was wonderful and was able to provide extra water for us, extra blankets for the pull out and anything else we needed. The room was always clean, everything seemed new. We're very picky and generally stay in high end resorts/hotels when we travel.We were very happy with the room.
Kids activiites: Amazing! We didn't put our kids in the kids camp as our plan was to go on vacation to spend more time with them. We did do many of the kids activities as a family though (cooking with cookie monster, evening shows, visit from Dolphin Cove, etc.). We met a few other families with the same plan and our kids became close friends that week. We spend most of our time at the waterpark which all the kids loved but we also enjoyed the main pool as well as the beach. Now, yes, the beach is small and maybe too many chairs as it takes up a lot of the beach but with small children, it was perfect. You could always keep them close and they had a blast. I recommend taking sand toys and leaving them with other familes before you go. We also did the glass bottom boat tour (windy our day so we didn't get to the reef) and all three kiddos went with us on the catamaran! The water staff there are wonderful!
Food: We ate at all places except Elenors as no kiddos under 12 allowed in that one. The buffet was nice with plenty of options. Arizonas was wonderful and we regret not trying that til the end of the trip because we would have eaten there more often. Many love the Venetian but quite honestly, our meal was terrible. We ate three different things and all of them were terrible. I couldn't eat any of mine. Might have been a bad night but we didn't give it a second chance.
A few extra things we did:
1) Tuck in with Zoe. Well worth the expense! The kids LOVED it. ITs the highlight of my 5 year old's trip. Stacy Ann arranged it for us even though it was her day off. She did an incredible job.
2) Family pictures on teh beach were wonderful. The session is complementary but if you want a disc, it costs extra. For us, well worth it. The pics, along with pics taken at teh slides and shows, were well worth the extra expense.
3) Day outing with Lees Taxi and Tours. Booked it through Norma well in advance. Our driver was Micheal and he was amazing. We visited a local school and spent a few hours there. We visited Coyoba Gardens and Falls, Shaw Lookout, Ferngully. We ate at Scotchies which was fantastic. We then toured Dunns River Falls briefly. We didn't climb it as the kdis are too small but it was interesting to see. We also planned to visit Enchanted GArdens but the kids were tired. AFter facing the mobs of sellers in the market at Dunns River, we opted to skip shopping in Ocho Rios and just headed back to the resort early. We ended up shopping at the resort and along side the resort. The full day tour cost us $150US plus entrance fees and tip and was definitely something we'd do again.
4) My 5 yr old had her hair braided at the spa on the beach. It was wonderful. Jackie did it and was so gentle. She loved having it done. Just bring a hat or wrap so that your little one doesn't burn their head.
I had heard in advance that tipping wasn't permitted. We didn't want to risk anyone losing their job so we brought small gift packages for our maid and others that made a difference in our trip. Everyone that received one truly appreciated it. We left one each day for our maid, we gave one to Jackie (who did my daughters hair .. we also left her a tip the day of because Red Lane staff can be tipped) and we gave one to our driver as they had toys I thought his kids would enjoy. The staff at the resort is incredible. They work so hard and they're all so very nice. We didn't run into one person who had a 'mood' while we were there.
Overall, it was a wonderful week. It was different for us as there were many scheduled kids things that we wanted to partake it and we were at the waterpark watching three kids a lot so it probably wasn't as relaxing as our trip to Mexico last year but overall, I think the kids enjoyed their time more than our trip to Mexico. Its a fantastic place so for anyone going, don't worry. I'm pretty picky and we had a great time! I'm missing those pina coladas though!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Minutes away from the newly renovated Ian Fleming International Airport•Kids Camp with certified nannies to pamper the kids •Supervised Xbox® Play Lounge with flat screen plasma TV’s•Kids can enjoy fun and games with Elmo & friends in our Sesame Street Caribbean Adventure•Adults-only El Dorado bar located on a terrace overlooking the Caribbean Sea •A state of the art “Liquid by Beaches” Disco •Pirates Island Water Park offering eleven slides for all ages•Voted Beaches Resorts ‘World’s Leading Family All-Inclusive’ 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beaches Boscobel Resort & Golf Club Hotel Boscobel
- Beaches Boscobel Resort And Golf Club
- Beaches Boscobel Hotel
- Beaches Boscobel Ocho Rios
- Beaches Ocho Rios