“Very pleasurable and relaxing stay”

Talbot Hotel Carlow
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We had a one night stay as we were attending a function in Carlow town. Our check in was smooth and hassle free. Our room was very modern , clean and warm. We had some bar food which was very good value. We attended our function in the town and on return late at night we went into the residents bar and really enjoyed a couple of social drinks and found the bar man very entertaining and welcoming, and went far beyond his duty to make us feel at home. We look forward to returning and having a longer stay in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 16, 2009

Myslef and my partner stayed here on 9 & 10 october. I have to say i was very disappointed in it for a 4 star hotel. First impressions i was disappointed. We checked in fine on the friday night. Room was big and spacious but bare. there was nothing no tea/coffe making facilities and there was a press there with a sign that said tea/coffee. Other 4 star hotels i stayed had tea/coffee making facilities. Breakfast was lovely a buffet style but found you nearly had your breakfst ate before tea/toast came. Very slow service i found and it was the same in bar on the friday night. It was very busy and we had a pint of guiness but in the end we had to ask for it to be topped up. We weren't impressed on friday night but we didn't want to right off the hotel. On the saturday we went to pool area and was so disappointed. The changing rooms were dirty, the lockers weren't the best. In the pool there was a big brown mark that looked awful. We went into the steam room but had to walk straight back out of it the smell of it. When checking out i was aked if everything was ok and i said no and the girl asked anything specific and i told her and also i said i had fallen in the shower/bath. I was never asked if i was ok or hurt. She did ask me if i wanted to speak to the manager but i didn't bother. I wouldn't recommned this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Having booked one night's stay for Saturday 10th Oct back in June of this year, we would have expected our check in to have gone without a hitch! 11 friends & myself arrived at reception about 2.45pm on Saturday, upon check in we discovered that there was a mistake with our booking & we were told that there was not enough rooms for us. The mistake being with the hotel as our email clearly stated how many rooms we needed. The girl on reception was very flustered as my group & a group of hens arrived at the one time. We informed the receptionist that there was still another 4 to check in as they were following us down later on in the day, we were still told there was not enough rooms & when I asked the receptionist had everyone checked in, she said no, I informed her that as the hotel was not full at this stage that she needed to look after the guests that were at reception at that time. We were all eventually given our keys & were also told that there would be two double rooms available for the 4 other guests arriving down later. Amazing how the rooms became available all of a sudden. After about a half hour we all got our room key cards, myself & my husband went to our room only to discover that our key did not work, we went back down to reception & they gave us another key, we went back up to our room, at this stage it was about 3.45pm & discovered that the room was not made up & this also happened to two of the other rooms. We left our bag in our room as the cleaner had just walked in, the other guests had to go back down to reception & report this & were told they were not sure if there was rooms available, they had to ask reception if they would hold on to their bags & we all went into the bar to have a drink, reception told us they would come into us & let us know what was happening. At this stage we asked to speak to the Manager, he eventually came into us in the bar, his name was Larry Boe. I informed him about our situation & he basically stood there looking at me, when I asked him was he going to do anything about it or stand there looking at me, he said he would deal with it & come back to me. He sent the receptionist back about 20mins later & she apologised for the whole situation, Larry eventually came back & said that it was all sorted, which the receptionist had already done, he was very rude & lacked in customer service skills. My friend approached him in reception & said that a round of drinks would appease the situation & Larry informed him that he didn’t feel there was a need for this???? Eventually the lounge girl informed us that Larry was going to buy us a round of drinks, which I say broke his heart at this stage.
When we all got to our rooms, they were lovely, clean & very big.
Upon check out we were all charged €110, but I had agreed a rate of €90 with the reservations. They did only charge us the €90. One of the girls was give a suite & upon check out was being charged €190 for the pleasure of this, even though she did not request it. This was eventually reduced to €90.
Overall the hotel was nice, but the attitude of the Manager Larry Bow was very unprofessional & we all found him quite rude & stern, he should brush up on his customer service skills & remember that he is in the service industry, the Customer is always right!!! In this case,we were.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Stayed in the Talbot Hotel, Carlow Sept 11th to 13th at a hens party.
I must say we had a fantastic time. Hotel is really lovely the staff could not do enought for you. We went on a pamper package and would go back again tomorrow.
I would recommend this hotle to anybody .

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We went down to the Talbot Hotel for my sisters hens. We were a group of 24 ladies and everybody had a fantastic weekend. The Hotel was amazing, the staff were fantastic and very friendly and helpful (even brought my friend to the doctors in the middle of saturday night), the food was gorgeous and the spa treatments were brilliant. I couldnt fault even one thing even the weather was amazing. We booked the weekend as a spa package and this was excellant value for money, i have been to previous spa treatment weekends in other hotels with large groups and wasnt expecting these treatments to be so good. Really enjoyed the whole weekend and we will be definetly back to the Talbot Hotel! Well done to everybody in the Hotel! Thank you so much for an enjoyable weekend!

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed August 15, 2009

We were delighted with our overnight with dinner break at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2009

the hotel was very clean and staff were very friendly ,the children loved the swimming pool and the room was lovely i would recommend this hotel but i would have preferred it if there had been some form of entertainment like a kiddies club but apart from that we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
TalbotManager, General Manager at Talbot Hotel Carlow, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2009

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor in relation to your recent family stay at the Talbot Hotel Carlow.

I am glad to here that you had an enjoyable stay with & thank you for your feedback.

The reason for my email is to advise that we have a Talbot Tigers Kids Program running every day for the School Holidays (July & August) for all midterm breaks & every weekend. The activities consist of morning supervised games for Kids in the Leisure Centre and evening supervised DVDS & Games allowing Mum & Dad some free time!.

I apologise that you were not made aware of this during your recent stay with us. We are also located beside the DOME Family Entertainment Centre so this provides another outlet for Children

I hope you will be back to us again soon & we have the opportunity to look after you all.

Once again - thanks for taking the time to provide feedback to us

Kind Regards

Larry Bowe
Talbot Hotel Carlow

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Dinn Ri Hotel
Dinn Ri Hotel
#4 of 5 in Carlow
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Talbot Hotel Carlow? Share your experiences!