“Stay at Talbot, Carlow.”

Talbot Hotel Carlow
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have stayed here quiet a few times now and have always found the hotel and staff well worth a return visit.
This time the only problem was the strong smell is smoke coming from another room, with the smell ending up in our room. You can't blame the hotel or staff but after complaining to reception the smell continued throughout our stay which can put you off.
This would not put us off another visit but............

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
TalbotManager, General Manager at Talbot Hotel Carlow, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear PatWilliams

Many thanks for taking the time to place a review on Trip advisor in relation to your stay with us again at the Talbot Hotel Carlow, we really appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and also that you are a regular visitor to the Talbot Carlow! we look forward to seeing you each time!

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and many thanks for sharing your feedback with us its very important! As you know for the comfort of all our guests and particularly children & families who stay with us we are proudly a non smoking hotel. I am so sorry to hear that there was a smell of smoke in the room next door to you, this is really unacceptable and we will ensure that this will not occur again, thank you for letting us know!

All the best for now and once again thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor

There are newer reviews for Talbot Hotel Carlow

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I had the pleasure of organising my sister-in-law's hen weekend last month, once we decided to got to Carlow I went online looking for offers, I came across the Talbot Hotel on the outskirts of Carlow town and they had great value hen/stag weekend packages. We decided on the 2 night B&B with 1 dinner with 1 hour of disco roller skating which is at 'The Grid' situated a 5 minute walk from the hotel, all for E129. The booking was hassle free, we were all on the same floor, Lorraine at Front Office couldn't have been more helpful, there was a late cancellation and a few other requests,all of these were handled by her in a friendly and efficient manner.
When we arrived there was ample parking, I found the checking in quick and welcoming both from Lorraine and Liz at reception, we were all based on the 1st floor, the rooms were spacious, quiet location and spotless and very up-to-date decor, The bar staff were courteous and helpful especially Mark who organised a request of 15 cocktails and waited these to the 1st floor sitting area as the bar was very busy with Confirmation receptions, so we had the area basically to ourselves before we went to our dinner reservation. Sarah, restaurant waitress was great with helping me blow up balloons and decorate the dinner table and she stored cupcakes that I had especially made in their kitchen fridge, nothing was a bother and we had an amazing two days there. The leisure facilities were great and we used the hairdressers aswell, thankyou to Erin and Jodie. We loved our hairs do's!!!
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for making this a fantastic weekend for the bride to be and all of the hens, it was amazing and we'll definately be back. Also, try the roller skating its great craic, just don't fall!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dshar

Dear dshar

Many thanks for taking the time to place a review on Trip advisor in relation to the hen weekend stay with us at the Talbot Hotel Carlow, we really appreciate you sharing your feedback with us

I am delighted to hear that you all enjoyed your stay with us and sincere thanks for sharing all the detail of your stay with us on tripadvisor. It really is great to hear that you all had a fantastic time and that all our team from reception, to the bar, restaurant, beauty salon etc looked after you all so well and truly made this weekend a very memorable one for you all in Carlow! The Grid which is located close to the hotel is very popular and perfect for a group of people staying with us in the Talbot so we will be sure to pass on this lovely feedback to the team in the Grid also in relation to the Disco Rollar Skating that you all enjoyed!

All the best for now and once again thank you for taking the time to post the Hen review on Trip Advisor, Im am sure the loyal readers of tripadvisor will find this really helpful!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband, daughter and I had a lovely family stay in the Talbot. We booked the triple treat which was fantastic value.

On arrival Liz made us very welcome even thought reception was very busy. We were promptly checked in and found our room comfortable and clean. My only complaint is the pillows we all found them uncomfortable. I think if I go again I will bring my own.

We had dinner in the restaurant that evening. The service was excellent and the food was very good. My only complaint was that I ordered steak and in past experience the steak was always fantastic but this was a huge let down. I asked for medium but this was rare and even thought I had a steak knife I couldn't cut through it as it was so grizzly and there was an extra charge of 6.50 which I wouldn't mind paying if it had been ok . They replaced it with whiting fish in a sauce and this was delicious, no complaints there.

The breakfast, although the restaurant was very busy there was plenty of staff and we were promptly served tea, toast and poached eggs that we ordered. There was plenty to choose from at the buffet either cold or hot.

We didn't use the pool so I can't comment on that.

We did have to complain about our next door neighbors as it sounded as if a football game was going on with the ball pounding against the walls. I have to say that night porter, who was a very nice guy, sorted it out each time and I can't blame the hotel for that but inconsiderate parents.

All in all we had a lovely relaxing stay with friendly staff, good food, and a clean room at a very reasonable price, what more can you ask for?

Dear teresabrown3

Many thanks for taking the time to place a review on Trip advisor in relation to your stay with us again at the Talbot Hotel Carlow, we really appreciate you sharing your feedback with us each time!

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and many thanks for sharing this on tripadvisor. Its lovely to hear that Liz looked after you so well on arrival and that breakfast was lovely for you too. Apologies that the steak was not to an acceptable standard, we have spoken to our suppliers about the quality of the meat so thank you for letting us know.

I do hope that we will see you soon again and please do let us know when you are planning your next trip to Carlow, its lovely to see that you have stayed with us on many occassions and we really do look forward to seeing you each time!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here for one night with three kids and they loved it here. Wish I had of booking another night. But it was booked out.
Staff were Amazing and very present. Food was good and hotel was very clean and comfortable
Would Totally recommend this hotel to anyone.

Dear JamesB8207

Many thanks for taking the time to place a review on Trip advisor in relation to your stay with us at the Talbot Hotel Carlow, we really appreciate you sharing your feedback with us

I am delighted to hear that your family and you enjoyed your stay with us and apologies we were not able to offer you a room for the second night as we were booked up with an event

Im delighted to hear that the you enjoyed the food here, that you found the hotel to be very clean & comfortable and many thanks for recommending us too - we really do appreciate this!

I do hope that we will see you soon again and please do let us know when you are planning your next trip to Carlow and hopefully you can stay with us for a couple of nights!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

From our first telephone contact I was impressed as we were greeted in Irish an unusual thing these days. On checking in the professionalism continued. Rooms were fantastic large warm clean and relaxing
Bar staff were lovely and friendly. Breakfast was great nice choice, staff very helpful Head Waiter was a true professional
Fantastic Value Will definitely be back

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Tom B

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for letting us know that you appreciated the greeting in Irish from the moment you phoned, the spacious bedrooms, friendly bar staff & delicious food

Reviewed March 24, 2013

As a frequent customer of the talbot hotel in Wexford we chose to stop at its sister hotel in Carlow for Sunday lunch today. We assumed it would be of the same high standard, however it proved quite the opposite. We arrived at 2.30 and had a choice of 3 vacant tables, none of which were clean. We sat at one assuming that someone would provide us with menus and give the table a wipe - instead the staff walked around us and ignored us. As my wife approached the bar to ask for a menu a girl who had been standing looking at us for some time without coming over just walked away to stand at another spot. It appeared as if she was trying to avoid customers rather than assisting them. A bar man finally gave us a menu but didn't clean the table. We sat for quite some time with the open menu on the table as every member of staff walked by, finally we asked a bar man if he could take our order. He replied by telling us that half the menu we could order from and the other half was a self service carvery. This meant that as I was finishing my carvery meal my wife's ordered meal was only arriving. We were not offered or given a drink with our meal. We had to ask for basics like a knife and fork and napkins. I have rarely seen such disorganised staff. Having worked in the catering industry, in a busy hotel restaurant, I understand the pressures involved when at full capacity. However they were not at full capacity and certainly not under pressure in terms of volume. The food also is not near the high standard that it is in talbot Wexford - it lacks imagination and flavour. It might be an idea to swap staff between the 2 hotels in an effort to improve the standard of customer service in talbot Carlow. I have never felt strongly enough to write a negative review on trip advisor but suffice it to say, we were very disappointed with our visit to talbot Carlow and certainly would not recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Aerelastic

Many thanks for taking the time to place a review on Trip advisor in relation to your meal with us at the Talbot Hotel Carlow, we really appreciate you sharing your feedback with us

I am very sorry to hear that you did not experience a wonderful meal with us and that our team did not look after you in swift, friendly & professional manner that we have as a basic standard for ourselves in the Talbot Carlow. We do look after many guests for dining experiences and we take great pride in our cuisine and service so my sincere apologies it was not to a very high standard for you on that one occasion. We have addressed this as a team so sincere thanks for providing us with this valuable feedback

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to look after you in the near future again if you are in the area and use this as an opportunity to demonstrate to you that we can create a very memborable and fantastic dining experience in the Talbot Carlow

Reviewed March 23, 2013

lovely hotel enjoyed my stay. staff were very friendly and helpful.room was very big and spacious got the late check out and had til 5 o clock to check out and its only mins away from town centre def will stay again

Room Tip: ask for late check out and u will have til 5 o clock to check out!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
TalbotManager, General Manager at Talbot Hotel Carlow, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Madmikey0110

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms to be very spacious and that our team looked after you so well during your stay and that you were able to enjoy a late check out!

4* Talbot Hotel Carlow

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Newpark Hotel
Newpark Hotel
#3 of 19 in Kilkenny
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Talbot Hotel Carlow? Share your experiences!