“Enjoyable stay”
Review of The Clink

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carlow
The Clink
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I had read the reviews and wondered what this accommodation would be like but it was absolutely fine and the staff were really helpful and friendly. The bar food was well cooked and the breakfast was good. If you asked you could also have brown or soda bread.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Manxnip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Laragh, Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed here with some girlfriends recently. I had tried many other hotels in Carlow with no luck so we were grateful for a bed.
I reserved 2x2 doubles and 1 x single for myself.
The gentleman who checked us in gave us no information regarding breakfast or room location. When we requested a late check-out we were met with a long sigh and bored expression. After the check-in procedure (and after we had paid) he eventually informed us it was ok.
I work in a hostel myself and have a list of several important details on check-in.
The rooms were tiiiiiiiiiiiny!! I paid €50.00 for a single and I could barely find space on the floor for my suitcase. We then ate in the hotel bar. I paid €30.00 for a burger/chips and two drinks. We also serve dinner in my place of work and I know for a fact if I served the food that I received -my job would be at risk.
The gentleman that served us was however, very efficient.
Around 2 hours after checking out - I discovered I had forgotten a pair of shoes.
I asked at reception had the cleaners found any - and was given the key to my room to check myself. On searching for the shoes I found under the bed to be filthy dirty and the room hadn't been serviced - So why the big deal with the late check-out?!
All in all I gave Mc Hugh's Courthouse almost a €100.00 for a low-rate room, bad food and a moody Receptionist.
It might be worth their while to check the fantastic spa and dinner packages currently abounding.
€100.00 (and less) has gotten me a much better stay in the past!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tara M
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Was booked into this hotel by receptionist of a local four star hotel as my room had been flooded and was unusable.

The car park for patrons of the courthouse hotel is a dimly lit, narrow, unsecured, pot holed waste ground opposite the pub/hotel building. I decided not to park there.

Receptionist gave us key card for room 108 I think it was (I've uploaded pictures of the room).

Room was dated in decor which is fine but it was not clean. There were cigarette burns in the bed covers, white towels looked like they were put on a quick dark wash, the netting on the 'balcony' door was filthy.

The room smelled of grease overpowered by cheap air freshener. When I opened the 'balcony' door I saw why. It led to a roof area about 3 m square with walls on four sides...we had a charming hb icecream sign outside the door and a kitchen chimney vent that spewed grease and a foul stench into our room.

No other rooms were available (not that I would have stayed there either way on reflection) and the 'balcony' door could not be locked as we were told that there hadn't been a key for that door in years!

Could not stay there, ended up booking into a charming guesthouse across the road called the Red Setter which I would highly recommend....it had a huge car park with a key code...quaint clean rooms, friendly service and breakfast was included in the price which was 10euro cheaper that mchughs.

All in all, I've stayed in b&bs, hotels, guesthouses and hostels all over the world and unfortunately I had to come home to Carlow to find the worst one of the lot

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Withfifty
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Only stayed for one night staff were all very nice and friendly, food was good and they do really nice pints! Rooms are very clean, some of the decor is a bit retro but this just gives the place more character.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed May 5, 2011

This hotel was excellent in every respect: great value for money, great food, spotlessly clean, wonderful breakfast, great staff....

This hotel has all the qualities of the best hotels at far less cost.

Room Tip: Rooms to back might be best
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank ismiseseamus
Illinios
Reviewed October 15, 2009

McHugh's Court House Hotel was the BEST hotel I have ever stayed in.
The food was delicious, all the staff were very nice and helpful.
The room was very nice, the shower was great. the room was so clean.
If I had a choice between the hilton and McHugh's Court House Hotel I would pick McHugh's.
Complements to the whole staff.

• Stayed October 2006
Coventry UK
Reviewed August 19, 2009

When we arrived there was no-one on reception. We were told where our room was, no lift, no offers to help with luggage. We were in room 102 at the front of the hotel. It was such a hot room but we could not have the windows open as it was so noisy on the street.
The carpet was filthy with lots of black marks all over it. We asked for an iron and ironing board and was told it would be right up. We had to ring reception 3 times before it was brought up.
The breakfast was good, quick and tasty and the bar downstairs was also ok. The shower was also good but this did not make up for ann the other poor aspects of the hotel.
We got this at a reduced price from a friend. If we were paying full price I would have definately complained, asked to be moved rooms or even hotels!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leopard34
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Seven Oaks Hotel
#3 of 5 in Carlow
Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to The Clink? Share your experiences!