“Nice fr a Romantic weekend”

Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I stayed there with my boyfriend in March. The Hotel is located just outside the town.It is a nice hotel with an old charm about it. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were quite big and very clean. The bathroom was spotless. The food in the restaurant was good but slightly overpiced. Breakfast was good also. The bar was nice for a quiet drink. I would definitely recommend ths hotel for a romantic, relaxing break in Carlow.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Woodford Dolmen Hotel

Reviewed September 26, 2008

Stayed on business for a few days.
Looks ok from the outside and the reception staff are pleasant.
Rooms are worn, dirty and in need of refurbishment. on some days there was a strong smell of dampness, the radiators did not work and the water in the tap was just hot. the walls are paper thin and on a number of nights the noise from revellers at weddings and functions went on until around 4 or 5 in the morning.Two days in a row the room was not made up and the towels were not changed and on the day the room was cleaned, the door was left unlocked afterwards.The breakfast is good and the food in the bar is of good quality, but very over priced, the head waiter hovers around the place as if everyone is trying to steal the knives and forks and would need a few weeks at charm school.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank neddyk
Reviewed September 22, 2008

I'm back from a recent stay in the Dolmen Hotel and am a bit disappointed. Was attending a wedding and the 1st thing that surprised me was that you could actually pass the hotel without knowing it was there. Serious sign posts needed when heading from Carlow town!

The main foyer of the hotel is lovely with a staircase leading straight up from when you walk into the place. The staff were friendly and bar service was quick

But, the reception room was so dated. The walls painted a sickly orange, the chair covers were a mustard colour. The curtains were completely unsuited. But they did have some nice chandeliers!!

The bedroom continued with a horrible orange theme. The room could have been out of an 80s tv programme. Serious painting needed on the door frames and the main hallways to the bedroom. I would have been disappointed if I was staying there for more than a night as even the shower wasn't up to standard.

We had bar food on Sun afternoon and this was lovely. Location of hotel is fine if you do not want to explore Carlow town.

I wouldn't be in a rush back to this hotel. Have another wedding to attend there in December but will stay in a B & B instead

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Hello,

My new wife and I had our wedding reception at the Dolmen Hotel. We are both living in Carlow but had never ate or stayed there before so were unsure of what to expect. We considered 3 hotels for our reception all within a few minutes of the town. The Dolmen was the cheapest but there was not a lot of differences in the facilities offered. There is no Gym or pool facilities at the hotel. The grounds are really well kept and the views of the river barrow are cool.

The Dolmen is not as modern as other Hotels in Carlow but it really makes up for it in it's warmth and charm. The decoration is old fashioned but personally i liked the character and atmosphere. Some of the furniture in the rooms were in need of a little repair. Other than that there was only good complements about the rooms. Our room suite 301 was absolutely fantastic loads of space and the bed really comfortable. I have seen our wedding photos and the backgrounds look great. The photographer told us he likes working there as there are so many different locations indoor and out for great pictures. The management are very good as they let us use rooms which had already been prepared for use the next day. The reception room we had was the Killeshin room. It was made up very well and great effort was taken in the set up.

I have to say myself and my wife had an absolutely fabulous day and were very pleased with the Hotel. We asked most of our guests about their experience and all but one had nothing but praise. ( she complained about our pictures delaying her dinner) There's always one!

I have to say the food served was excellent and very well presented. We had choice of the rib eye beef or the Salmon fillet. The beef was nice and tender everyone who had the salmon said it was one of the best they ever tasted. There was more choice but we wanted to keep it simple and keep the cost down. The breakfast was done as a buffet the choice was good and you could have as much or as little as you pleased. We had ours in bed which arrived at the time we wanted and we also got a complimentary mini bottle of champagne

I would absolutely recommend the hotel for anyone thinking of having their wedding reception.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 20, 2008

I recently stayed at the Dolmen with two friends for one night. We got a very good deal as we booked it through an internet reservations site. The room, although spacious with two single and one double bed, was rather dated. On our way to breakfast, we noticed that other rooms nearby seemed to be decorated to a higher standard as some doors were open while being cleaned. we reasoned that we had been allocated a more dated room as we were on a 'cheap deal'.

The main foyer would benefit from some re-decoration as it was quite dark and drab. That said, the hotel was clean, quiet at night, the staff friendly and the breakfast acceptable.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2008

After being given the details of the hotel for a wedding party i booked giving the grooms name who had stated we had a 'special rate' as a wedding guest. Once i got to the hotel it looked decent from the outside and the reception staff seemed friendly enough. Once we had been given our (very large keyring) key we headed of to our room. The room was a decent size but noticed one bed had a headboard and one didnt, this was not a problem as we only asked for a double room. Once i lay on the bed i noticed dirt along the ceiling but felt it was nothing to complain about. The bar/restaurant is the most expensive i can remember and i have stayed in some 4/5 star hotels around the world but no seemed this poor yet so expensive(eg scampi and chips 24 euros in a grubby restaurant) the decor is also very drab in need of modernising or a fresh lick of paint. The breakfast is average and was 30 min late on the saturday morning. When i was told the final cost (130 per night) i stated i was with the wedding party and that i was told 90 euros (which is still vastly overpriced) to which i was told the room i was in is normally 190 euros per night i didnt know whether to laugh or cry as travel lodges are better than the room we had. I would not pay over 50 euros for this hotel and despite friendly staff and beautiful views stay clear of this place and go to one of the BB's either side

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I stayed in the Dolmen for a wedding and having never stayed before I was very impressed with the grounds, the lobby and the food at the wedding reception was well above anything I have ever experienced at a wedding. Every staff member we encountered was excellent which is most unusual in an Irish hotel!
When we booked our room, they only had a lodge left which I had no problem with. Word of warning....if it's raining heavily you may need a boat to get to the lodges! The lodge itself was fab....large kitchen/living rooms, large bedroom with two double beds and a single bed upstairs and a small bathroom. The lodge was in need of a good clean. I've never seen so many cobwebs and dust. Also the shower head was filthy. To me anyway that's not acceptable. However I would give the Dolmen a second chance as the postiives outwayed the negatives.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Talbot Hotel Carlow
Clanard Court Hotel
The Lord Bagenal Inn
The Lord Bagenal Inn
#1 of 1 in Leighlinbridge

Been to Woodford Dolmen Hotel? Share your experiences!