“A Night At The Dolmen...”

Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My Husband & I stayed at The Dolmen Hotel last night.We arrived yesterday & were greeted by the most nicest friendly staff that we have ever met.This hotel is gorgeous...This hotel has character.We were attending the party night & this was a night to remember-The food was just divine,so fresh & so tasty.Also,our breakfast was so tasty & once again-so fresh.The staff were beyond excellence.I cannot understand why this hotel is only rated at a 3*** Without doubt this hotel should be a good 4.5* As for the staff...10+*
(Since I'm being so honest I might as well say...I'd only one small fault-We stayed in room 201,A noisy spot-Got no sleep at all :( However, this would not defer me from returning to this Superb Hotel...This Hotel is so worth a visit) Also,I can't believe the wedding deal they are doing at the moment-100 guests,wedding car,dj & other perks...E4,000.This Beautiful setting would make your wedding day extra special...Pity I'm married!!!

Room Tip: You won't be disappointed with this hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Estelle N
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Estelle,
Thank you for your glowing review of your stay with us for our January Blues Buster party night. I am delighted to read you enjoyed both the party night & your hotel stay in general. Your comment about rating our staff as 10star is very much appreciated as we know our friendly & helpful staff are one of our biggest assets.
Your right that we are a 3star rating at the moment but this is mainly due to the fact that the decor in some of our bedrooms needs updating & I'm very happy to say that we are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme within the hotel which will see us upgraded to a 4 star rating over the coming year or so.
Our wedding packages are unbeatable value alright & these along with our scenic setting & beautiful views of the surrounding natural countryside have made us one of the top wedding venues in the South East. We also go great special wedding anniversary celebration deals so maybe you could take advantage of this instead :)
Thanks again for your excellent review & high recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Booked a one night package which included tickets to see Brendan Grace.Check in was very quick and staff very friendly and efficent. Our room was good size clean and met our needs. The show was excellent. We enjoyed a very good breakfast. The only complaint i had was with the evening meal while there was a good choice on offer i chose the roast beef which was disappointing i mentioned this to our waitress she immediatley offered to get me something else i declined the offer, my husband had the salmon which he really enjoyed. On checkout we were given a discount on our stay to acknowledge the problem with my meal the staff member thanked me for bringing my complaint to their attention. I have to say all the staff we met were very friendly and helpfull. I hope to return to The Dolmen Hotel very soon. Tip if travelling on M9 take exit 6 (as this will leave you just a few minuets drive from the hotel) and not exit 5 as advised on the AA route planner. I will definitly be recommending The Dolmen to family & friends.

Room Tip: Ask for room at back of hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi Mary M,
Thank you for taking the time to comment here on your stay with us for the Brendan Grace concert & for your lovely comments on our rooms & staff. Im delighted to see you plan to return to us & thank you for your 5 star recommendation to future guests.
Im sorry to read your comment about your maincourse but I'd glad to see that our staff member was able to resolve this for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again soon

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I found the Dolmen to be only ok to poor. However some points i have to elaborate on
We were at a wedding. Upon arrival the front bar was charging almost 5 euro for a pint of lager. It wasnt cheap, but thats ok. When we moved into the functino room, the cost was still almost 5 euro. However at some stage during the night, it changed to 5.10. I flat out refused to pay this, and instead went out to the front bar that continued to keep the same price. First i believe that this is not allowed, you must display your prices and keep to them. Second, its just greedy and underhanded. Its not like people werent going to spend money.

The food was ok, no better than a bar carvery. The rolls for the soup were rock hard, but not over cooked as all were pale white!

Breakfast the next morning was good

Overall, it wouldnt be my choice for a venue

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Hi J_Carlow.
Thanks for taking the time to feed back to us on the wedding you attended here with us.
I'd just like to respond to your points on our bar pricing. Price differential between hotel bar & function room bar is normal & standard practice in the industry. Cost's are more expensive for function bars due to higher staffing & service levels & in particular bar extension fees & we include the bar extension complimentary within all of our wedding packages.
I'm surprised to read your comment about the bread rolls as we are one of the leading wedding venues in the South East & as you'll see from many other guest comments on this site, our wedding food regularly receives glowing reviews from past guests, however I will pass your comments back to our chef.
Thanks again for your feedback,

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I visited the bar/restaurant here during the week.. I found the serving staff at the carvery very pleasant.. The manager who was taking payment not so good.. He charged €7.50 for a child's nuggets and chips which made that more expensive than our 1/2 portion adult meals (€7.25 ea)..There was plenty in this size portion including tasty stuffing, turkey, potatoes & veg.. I would recommend this hotel it is really spotless and overall the staff were good..

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hi misscougar
Thanks for taking the time to post here on your experience with us, for your lovely comments on our staff & your recommendation of Dolmen Hotel to others.
I apologise to you for the error in pricing on your meal as our kids meal is priced at just €5 not the €7.50 you were charged. We have a new manager who just started with us so I can only assume this was human error on their behalf while getting used to our system. Again I am very sorry for this & have prepared a refund voucher to the value of the overcharged amount of €2.50 & this is available for you to collect from reception at a time that is convenient for you.
Overall I'm glad you enjoyed your meal with us & I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again soon.
Aisling

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Very happy with our stay at Dolmen in late November 2013. Very helpful staff and hearty breakfasts. Generally a quiet place but weddings are hosted too, so one night was a bit noisy for us. Would book this hotel again without hesitation

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear threecastles
I really appreciate your 5 star rating of your stay with us in November & your recommendation in having no hesitation to stay with us again.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again soon for another short break, keep an eye out on our website for some great special offer packages.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed at the dolmen hotel for three nights and i have to say i never met such pleasant staff in any other hotel i stayed in.The food in the restaurant was very good and the rooms very comfortable and a very cosy hotel

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi teddydublin
Thank you so much for your 5 star rating of your 3 night stay with us. I'm delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us & that you found our food & staff to be of such high standards.
Thanks again for your lovely comments & I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again soon.

Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch here with family after xmas shopping. Interior is a little old fashioned. Bar and restaurant were quiet on Saturday before Xmas. Soup to start was ok. Wasn't very warm. Got chicken for main, again not very warm. Potatoes were beautiful but was not enough of them. Can I stress the staff are friendly but uniforms were tired looking and one waitress was chewing gum while serving food. I believe this hotel in undergoing an overhaul in new year and it needs it. But I will return because the staff are very inviting and if food was hotter it would have been nice. Please let the staff know we appreciated there friendliness

Stayed: December 2013

Hi Glenn B
Thank you for posting your comments about the lunch you had at Dolmen Hotel before Christmas. I've happy to read your comments about the friendliness of our staff & how you'd be happy to to return to us again. I am however sorry to read your comment about the food not being very hot as this would not be up to our normal high standard but I have passed these comments on to our Food & Bevarage Manager to raise with the carvery chef so thank you for mentioning this.
I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again soon.
Colin Duggan - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Talbot Hotel Carlow
Dinn Ri Hotel
#4 of 5 in Carlow
The Clink Boutique Hotel
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Woodford Dolmen Hotel? Share your experiences!