“Wedding Event”

Woodford Dolmen Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Carlow
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I found the Dolmen to be only ok to poor. However some points i have to elaborate on
We were at a wedding. Upon arrival the front bar was charging almost 5 euro for a pint of lager. It wasnt cheap, but thats ok. When we moved into the functino room, the cost was still almost 5 euro. However at some stage during the night, it changed to 5.10. I flat out refused to pay this, and instead went out to the front bar that continued to keep the same price. First i believe that this is not allowed, you must display your prices and keep to them. Second, its just greedy and underhanded. Its not like people werent going to spend money.

The food was ok, no better than a bar carvery. The rolls for the soup were rock hard, but not over cooked as all were pale white!

Breakfast the next morning was good

Overall, it wouldnt be my choice for a venue

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Hi J_Carlow.
Thanks for taking the time to feed back to us on the wedding you attended here with us.
I'd just like to respond to your points on our bar pricing. Price differential between hotel bar & function room bar is normal & standard practice in the industry. Cost's are more expensive for function bars due to higher staffing & service levels & in particular bar extension fees & we include the bar extension complimentary within all of our wedding packages.
I'm surprised to read your comment about the bread rolls as we are one of the leading wedding venues in the South East & as you'll see from many other guest comments on this site, our wedding food regularly receives glowing reviews from past guests, however I will pass your comments back to our chef.
Thanks again for your feedback,

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I visited the bar/restaurant here during the week.. I found the serving staff at the carvery very pleasant.. The manager who was taking payment not so good.. He charged €7.50 for a child's nuggets and chips which made that more expensive than our 1/2 portion adult meals (€7.25 ea)..There was plenty in this size portion including tasty stuffing, turkey, potatoes & veg.. I would recommend this hotel it is really spotless and overall the staff were good..

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hi misscougar
Thanks for taking the time to post here on your experience with us, for your lovely comments on our staff & your recommendation of Dolmen Hotel to others.
I apologise to you for the error in pricing on your meal as our kids meal is priced at just €5 not the €7.50 you were charged. We have a new manager who just started with us so I can only assume this was human error on their behalf while getting used to our system. Again I am very sorry for this & have prepared a refund voucher to the value of the overcharged amount of €2.50 & this is available for you to collect from reception at a time that is convenient for you.
Overall I'm glad you enjoyed your meal with us & I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again soon.
Aisling

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Very happy with our stay at Dolmen in late November 2013. Very helpful staff and hearty breakfasts. Generally a quiet place but weddings are hosted too, so one night was a bit noisy for us. Would book this hotel again without hesitation

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear threecastles
I really appreciate your 5 star rating of your stay with us in November & your recommendation in having no hesitation to stay with us again.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again soon for another short break, keep an eye out on our website for some great special offer packages.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed at the dolmen hotel for three nights and i have to say i never met such pleasant staff in any other hotel i stayed in.The food in the restaurant was very good and the rooms very comfortable and a very cosy hotel

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi teddydublin
Thank you so much for your 5 star rating of your 3 night stay with us. I'm delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us & that you found our food & staff to be of such high standards.
Thanks again for your lovely comments & I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again soon.

Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch here with family after xmas shopping. Interior is a little old fashioned. Bar and restaurant were quiet on Saturday before Xmas. Soup to start was ok. Wasn't very warm. Got chicken for main, again not very warm. Potatoes were beautiful but was not enough of them. Can I stress the staff are friendly but uniforms were tired looking and one waitress was chewing gum while serving food. I believe this hotel in undergoing an overhaul in new year and it needs it. But I will return because the staff are very inviting and if food was hotter it would have been nice. Please let the staff know we appreciated there friendliness

Stayed: December 2013

Hi Glenn B
Thank you for posting your comments about the lunch you had at Dolmen Hotel before Christmas. I've happy to read your comments about the friendliness of our staff & how you'd be happy to to return to us again. I am however sorry to read your comment about the food not being very hot as this would not be up to our normal high standard but I have passed these comments on to our Food & Bevarage Manager to raise with the carvery chef so thank you for mentioning this.
I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Dolmen Hotel again soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

stayed overnight after a wedding. Room 236 is 5 mins walk from reception.Couldn't find the lift. Smell of smoke in the corridor is disgusting. rooms could do with an update, it's a long time since I say lino on the floor in a toilet/bathroom, towels were well worn, sink tap need a colour disc for cold water, sandwich to your room is €5 service charge. drink prices are one price at reception, and increased price once at the function.
breakfast leaves a lot to be desired, small tables, queue for everything, toaster too slow. definitely not freshly cooked bacon(rashers) room rate was good at €70 per night for two sharing.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank matt d
DolmenManager, General Manager at Woodford Dolmen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Hi matt d
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment here on your stay with us last weekend, I'm happy to see you found our B&B rate good value as this is something we pride on delivering to our guests.
In relation to you comments on our bedrooms, we are currently in the process of refurbishing bedrooms with the goal of moving from 3 star to 4 star standard over the coming 12 - 18 months & as part of this process we will be making all of our bedrooms non-smoking rooms.
I'm disappointed to read about your breakfast experience & although you don't mention the time you had it, as you say there were some delays I would imagine this was during the last hour of breakfast which is always peak time & especially on the morning after a wedding which can result is some small delays.
I hope you will come back & visit us again over the next year when you can experience our newly refurbished bedrooms.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We got a great offer in pigsback.com to stay here. Have to say the service we received was over and above what I expected as the deal we got was so cheap. Dinner was included and was piping hot and very tasty. Restaurant staff very friendly. Room was grand, clean and comfortable and it was very quiet. I was worried we might be kept awake as there was a large wedding but didn't here a peep! Great power shower in the morning. Breakfast was lovely too. All in all I would recommend the Dolmen, even for the friendliness of the staff alone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi JMBK2013
Thank you for this lovely review of your stay with us & for your kind comments on our food, rooms & staff. I'm glad you enjoyed with time at Dolmen Hotel & I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Colin Duggan - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlow
Talbot Hotel Carlow
Dinn Ri Hotel
#4 of 5 in Carlow
The Clink Boutique Hotel
Clanard Court Hotel

Been to Woodford Dolmen Hotel? Share your experiences!