“The place "Could" be amazing”
Review of Pompei Restaurant - CLOSED

Pompei Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have eaten here before so I booked a table for 4 for my birthday. There were a few communion crowds just finishing up so we were seated at the bar until our table was ready. We didn't have to wait long. A young waiter took our order and although he was very pleasant and friendly he did lack any knowledge of the food on the menu. We ordered the antipasto to share. The waiter put this and a portion of bread in front of us and we were not sure if the bread was for the person who ordered the soup or us. So we ordered another portion. I asked for olive oil and balsamic. I received olive oil infused with rosemary and they DIDN't have any balsamic vinegar. This I couldn't believe - its an Italian restaurant. He asked if I wanted chilli oil instead ??? The soup lacked flavour but the deep fried Brie - ordered by my partner was lovely. I was sooo dissapointed with the Antipasto. No effort at all put into it. Mortedella, Salami and some very very tired looking parma ham. NO olives, melon or anything else really. A tiny bit of salad in the middle of the plate. No cooking involved here - just a bit of imagination and flair - the mains were gorgeous though .I had the ricotta and spinach pasta. Not overdone and not TOO much sauce - lovely. The pizza was thin and crispy and the steaks arrived just how they were ordered. But we had to wait at least 5 mins for the sauce that was supposed to accompany them. The waiter was serving a couple of tables and we had to call a different waiter. We ordered coffees and ice-cream after and I ordered a Calypso coffee- which never arrived. The owner dropped by the table a couple of times but wasn't aware of the poor service. There was a loud buzz of conversation - no music at all.No atmosphere There was lovely Italian music piped into the bathrooms - which had no toilet paper- but none at all in the restaurant. There is so much potential for this place. Lovely setting overlooking the river. Lovely decor. I would have loads of ideas to get people coming to this restaurant. The owner needs to step back and take a look at it. Was so dissapointed this time but will keep an eye on the facebook page and the menu to see if they will improve things.

1  Thank Pahef

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have been to this restaurant many times over the past few years and the food quality has fallen drastically.
The food is bland and not cooked properly, the variety of vegetables consist of sliced bolied carrots and undercooked shredded cabbage.
The seabass dish I had was awful, as was the sole.
However the pizzas and the steak dishes are nice and well cooked.
The desserts are very poor, I had a Belgian waffle and it tasted like plastic, covered with cheap spray cream and chocolate sauce.

With regards the service, it is very slow and I didn't get my meal for 1hr and a half!

The restaurant Owner is a very nice man and very friendly along with one or two of the staff. However there are a few unhelpful waiter/waitresses.

I do hope that the menu is improved soon or they hire a new chef because it would be shame as the restaurant is located in a lovely place by the river and is nicely decorated.

2  Thank rsfood
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great ambience, good location with terrific views. Service is very good and has to be said the food is top notch.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Food was below average. Not good atmosphere. There must be better places in Carlow.
And it's pretty expensive given the poor quality.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I went with my boyfriend for our anniversary and it was better than expected. The views and the location are lovely and the restaurant has really nice decor and friendly staff. I had home made bread and soup , the soup was a little bland but the bread was amazing. For main i had lasagne , clearly freshly made and it was really tasty best lasagne i have had in a while. I really enjoyed it good value for money.