“Amazing”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2018 via mobile

Sha roe was recommended to me by a friend who was there 2 months previous and couldn't recommend it enough so I had to give it a go and I was not disappointed! On arrival we were met by a beautiful friendly faced lady who I'm disappointed to have not gotten her name. We sat and had a round of drinks in the lounge area before dinner and then were seated in the dining room. Beautiful. The room was quite small but with a great atmosphere. The food was scrumtious, all courses and the wine to match was equally tasty. The food was top notch and up there with any restaurant I've tried before. All in all, the staff were great and attentive and the food was amazing. Well worth a visit.... Enjoy

Reviewed June 24, 2018 via mobile

Our neighbours had been telling us for years we should go to Sha Roe but I kept putting it off because it was a 40 minute drive from where we live. However my husband booked it as a surprise lunch and I’m so glad he did. The village was beautiful and the restaurant was superb. The owner chatted to us about the how she ended up in Clonegal with her husband who is the chef and despite the restaurant being full she was happy to spend time with us. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful and the food was out of this world. We had a lovely table which had a “window” so I could see into the kitchen. I would definitely go back here again, the distance is totally worth it.

Reviewed June 21, 2018 via mobile

On visiting home from Australia, we arranged to meet as a family at beautiful Clonegal. The setting was gorgeous but the bistro blew me away.

Set inside the old house, the feeling is warm, professional yet cosy with a lovely ambience. We were greated warmly and our awkward request for one more guest at the table was met - lucky as this was a Thursday evening and not entirely full, as I would imagine at the weekend this would be full.

The food: everyone had 3 courses which is unheard of, due to the quality and the portion sizes being just right. I started with falafel that was so light it was dreamy on a bed of babaganoush with a harissa drizzle.

Onto the best steak I have had in years, perfectly cooked 'rare' Irish fillet. The accompanying dishes were a wonderful parmesan crusted ratatouille and beautiful potatoes.

Dessert was a rhubarb compote with homemade shortbread biscuits which was a genius combination on flavours.

My step sister is vegetarian and the wild garlic rissotto she had was amazing. By all accounts the malbec was good, but I tried and loved a local cider which was infused with raspberries and elderflower. Try it, trust me!

Finally, service. Our hostess was wonderfully attentive and the servers also extremely good.

A real triumph, I would advise to book ahead - one of the successes of the bistro is that there are only 8-10 tables.

Reviewed June 9, 2018 via mobile

Couldn't fault a thing here. Food was possibly the nicest food we've ever had. Staff were extremely friendly and polite. Will be back and will definitely recommend to friends.

Reviewed May 19, 2018 via mobile

This was my first visit to the highly renowned Sha-Roe Bistro. I can tell you it won’t be my last. We received a lovely welcome and the menu offers a lot of choice. The menu is very well priced for the food on offer. All of the food we had was so well cooked and well presented. The staff are really nice and very helpful in making choices from the menu.
Definitely and without any doubt one of the best restaurants in Ireland .