“Better than expected”

Dining options: Reservations
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Didn't expect the quality we got. The pub outside, interior and menu gave the impression of yet another standard pub meal but we were pleasantly surprised. The food quality was a cut above, I had local sausages and my wife belly pork with crackling, both served with red cabbage. Both were excellent though too large portions that we couldn't finish. Recommended for pub food.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Adrian999

Winscombe
“Super Lunch!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

From the outside, the Woody is a barn of a place that looks as if it has been uprooted from a previous existence as a typical 1930's London suburban pub. Inside, however, the welcome is warm, the bar area is well laid out and comfortable and the staff friendly and efficient. The menu is extensive and should provide food for thought (!) for just about anyone. Don't forget to check the specials board (extra specials as well).
We had the Woody sausages and mash which came with caramellised red cabbage and onion gravy (lashings of each). The two sausages were about the biggest I've ever seen, cooked to perfection and well arranged. Filling, and impossible to fault. To follow, my wife had a larger than normal creme brulee, while I had a banana split. Both superb. An excellent meal at a reasonable price.
There is a separate restaurant area (wise to book) and the bar tends to fill fairly fast - it pays to get there early!
Ample car parking around the pub, though as it is built on what was the village green, it can be a bit of a free for all. Shouldn't be a problem finding a space.
Thoroughly recommended.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank David P
Bristol, United Kingdom
“not very organised or welcoming”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Booked for Saturday 23rd February table for 4 for 7:30 p.m. Arrived about 5 minutes late ordered drinks and asked how long a wait we would have. Told about 1/2 hour after another group of 5. Waited and waited until 9:15 and told would be next just as we were about to look for another place to eat locally. Got to a table at about 9:30 ordered and were eventually served. Generally food ws over cooked - a kebab my friend couldn't release from the skewer and fish cakes solid outside but luckily not too bad inside. Portions were small and needless to say I won't be going back in the 21st century!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Average Sunday lunch”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We visited here as a family a week or so ago for Sunday lunch. I had my young daughter with me and my parents. The pub/restaurant/inn, unfortunately is not child friendly and a 3 year old gets bored very quickly, especially having to wait 30 minutes for her chicken nuggets! Maybe a coloring book like some pubs provide would have helped...Not the end of the world though. I ordered the Roast lamb and received 3 paper thin slices and a heap of crunchy vegetables and watery gravy. I must say, it was probably the worst Sunday Lunch I have had in a very long time. the potatoes were also very dry. The rest of the family all enjoyed it which is why I have marked it as average. Had I of been here alone, It would be getting 1 star. We will not be eating here again, which is unfortunate because they have done good food in the past

Thank m.obrien83
Burton, United Kingdom
“Nice place, good food & service.”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This place was recommended to us by the owners of the guest house we were staying at, which was about 6 miles away. Thought best to take their advice as they've lived there for 20 years plus. Realistically priced food & drink with a reasonable selection of main dishes in nice surroundings with equally nice staff.