“excellent food”

Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent food”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

we had originally booked a table for 10 but amended it to 5 at the last minute. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Two of our party had the carvery which was plentiful with a good selection of veg. Two had the childrens meals which were more than enough and very well presented and I had the rump steak which was possibly the best steak I have ever tasted.
Overall excellent food, friendly staff and a good price. We will definitely be back.

Brian L, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
I'm really glad to hear you enjoyed your visit.
Thanks for taking the time to share your visit with Trip Advisor readers, I hope you'll come back to see us again soon.

South West England, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Another Groupon offer! I didn't expect much with a cheap Groupon offer but four of us booked a table and all were pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly and we were served immediately. There was a choice of fairly rare beef, which suits me, Turkey and gammon. I had the beef and was surprised when three thick slices were carved and put on my plate along with Yorkshire pud. There was a good selection of veg, plus sauces and gravy.

The meat was very tender, cooked to perfection and fell apart. Lovely fresh veg and. Crispy roast potatoes. Our plates were cleared although one of our party took a little too much veg and had to leave some. Unfortunately no room for puds.

Overall a very pleasant experience for a help yourself carvery and better than our local Toby carvery. Will definitely go back. Another offer please Groupon!

Brian L, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thanks very much for taking the time to write such a nice review. We hope now that you've tried us once you'll come back soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Yummy”
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Nice carvery we'll worth a visit , really surprised how big this pub actually is.
Choice of three meats turkey beef and gammon, only criticism was there could of been more of a choice of veg,,,

Deb eat to many roasters ..lol

Visited October 2013
Brian L, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thanks for your review, we hope to see you again soon.
Taunton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

I bought a Groupon voucher as we live nearby and I hadn't been here for years. At £11 for 4 carvery meals I thought it worth a try.

I booked a table for last Saturday night at 730. When we arrived we were slightly surprised to find that it was rather quiet with just a few people finishing their meals. The carvery looked rather tired but when the lady appeared at the bar she said that they were about to refresh it.

There is now a large newish dining area which I have to say I found rather soulless. The lighting is too bright, the furniture reminiscent of a 3* hotel and nothing of interest on the walls.

We opted to sit in the older bar area as it felt a little more atmospheric as there were two other occupied tables in there. Unfortunately there were some oddly placed sofas, one blocking a lovely old inglenook fireplace and one in front of the bar (why??) and again, nothing attractive or interesting to look at.

The lady from behind the bar came and told us that they were ready for us to go and collect our food. There was a very pleasant lady serving it who gave us information about the meat. There was a choice of beef, gammon or turkey (or all three) and they were FANTASTIC. Beautifully cooked, tender and tasty. Also the Yorkshire puds and stuffing balls were excellent. But what let the side down badly was the vegetables. Horribly overlooked peas (some were yellow) carrots and diced swede. If you're going to offer swede you need to be a bit more imaginative (add cream/butter/pepper and mash it for example) Absolutely nothing green on offer and the mashed potato was lumpy and tasteless. Roasties were edible but had been hanging around a while. The gravy was excellent which was just as well as this masked the tastelessness of the veggies. Such a shame as the meat really was great.

Presumably the management have gone to the trouble of setting up the Groupon offer to try and pull in a few more customers. Unfortunately this I believe will backfire as folk such as us will come, try, not complain as only paying £2.75 per head but not bother to return.

In fairness, I discovered that they offer the carvery every day from midday til 8pm so obviously we came in at the very end of service and therefore got the worst of it and I expect if you go there for early lunch it's probably great.

Please please stand back and take an objective view of the decor. With just a few tweaks here and there this could be a very pleasant pub.

Brian L, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
I'm very disappointed to see your review, after your visit to my pub. I do wish you had asked to speak a member of management at the time, as I'm sure I would have been able to rectify any of your issues.
I know the decor isn't to everyone's taste, but only 18 months ago there was a £150,000 refurbishment made to the exterior as well as interior of the building.
Please feel free to give me a call to discuss this.
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Had a great carvery this evening ( 4 adults and 1 child) The meat was excellent ( ESP the very tender and perfectly cooked beef) a lovely range of perfectly cooked vegetables including cauliflower and broccoli cheese bake, carrots, swede, peas, cabbage and mashed potatoes and lovely tasty gravy !!! The service was excellent and the pub was well decorated and clean. I know that other reviews have compared this place detrimentally to a local 7 day carvery, but having visited the latter on numerous occasions there is little difference except the star is cheaper and the service far superior. Highly recommended !!

Brian L, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thanks very much for such a great review.