“Glad to see the Star back on its' feet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Star Inn

The Star Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Restaurants in Winscombe
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Glad to see the Star back on its' feet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

My wife an I met up with our son and his partner at the Star, a pub we have not visited for a very long time as on our last visit it appeared to be on its' last legs! What a change, welcoming friendly staff, more atmosphere, revitalised interior, well stocked bar, excellent menu and a carvery to die for!

All of the food on the new menu was reasonably priced, as were the drinks, but at £5.95 the carvery was a must, especially if you love your beef rare! Even though the carvery option closes at 8.00pm, and we ordered with 10 minutes to go, everything was available.

The vegetarian option for our sons' partner was thoroughly enjoyed by her, cooked to order in 10 minutes and 20p cheaper that the meat version! With a large selection of excellent deserts priced at under £4, 4 of us eat for £36, real value for money!

As I was driving I had to ignore the wine list, but next time......................!

Keep up the good work and all the very best for the future.
Pete.C.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Pete501948
Brian L, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thanks very much for your kind words, we're really glad you all enjoyed your visit, and hope to see you again soon.

Banwell, United Kingdom
“Very good meals on two recent visits”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hadn't been to this pub for food, but recently saw a menu in a local business and was tempted. Went with my daughter and we had a very nice meal sat on the back terrace overlooking the garden. Service was very good and reasonably priced good quality food.
Enjoyed it enough to go back with my partner Wendy for an evening meal...shared a very large started of moules marinare (or however it is spelt) and then went for the daily deal of two large steaks (with all the trimmings) and a bottle of house wine for just £25....all VERY good. Steaks cooked to perfection and service again excellent.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Hutson110
Brian L, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thanks for your great comments on your recent visit to The Star.
We're glad you enjoyed our steak and a bottle of wine offer, just to let you know we have a new menu which starts tomorrow, and more great offers are on the way.
Many thanks.
Cheddar, United Kingdom
“Meal deal? get what you pay for”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We visited The Star Inn to take advantage of a carvery meal deal they were promoting. We arrived at 7.00pm only to be told they stopped serving food at 7.30. Why did no one tell us this when we booked? The quality of the food would of done Asda vaule range proud, but a pub carvery, no.

Visited August 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Could Do Better”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Usually before I go to a restaurant I like to get other peoples views on the place before, I read some of the bad reviews and thought I may as well go and try it anyway but what i got was just like the other reviews, Terrible, Bad, Could Do Better etc.
So we went here for a evening meal, you would think that this small place well out of the way would have good service but no. We ordered our meals from a very limited menu I decided to go for the half a chicken with the chips, salad and coleslaw. The food did not taste right at all and this is probably why the food was cold, I expect that it is all frozen and just thrown in a low temperature oven. The chips were ok but I am guessing that's because they are bought from a big brand. The chicken on the plate looked ok to begin with but when you see the other side you start to wonder "hmm... is this really cooked?" it sure did not look like it and when you eat some of it you can tell that it is not. The guy sat on the table next to us sent his food back to the kitchen because by the time he got his food it was cold as well. To be fair to this pub/restaurant they do give you another meal for free if you aren't satisfied. Overall I think that this pub could do better on their service and their food but for now I don't recommend this pub/restaurant, if they improve these then I may be back but for now I think I shall give it a miss.

• Visited May 2013
bristol
“You get what you pay for!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Booked here on bank holiday weekend. Sorry to say I have been here before but this weekend was very busy but the staffing level was very poor and the size of the portion was very small. We were a couple and not a family or large party. When we asked re the length of time we were waiting and also portions given the reply was this is bank holiday and we are doing our best. This was true with regard to lack of staff. But to be honest nobody wants to waiting over an hour for child's portions. Don't waste your money and time booking here.

Visited May 2013