1,110 results
All reviews long flight one night last night sri lanka close to the airport boutique hotel on arrival colombo airport garden suite afternoon tea two nights huge bathroom minutes from the airport stayed longer mountbatten suite beautiful hotel swimming pool
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We spent two nights in the Wallawwa and it is very good. All the people are very helpfull and the food is perfect even when You have a diatery. The room is big anough and well equipped. So, we have a pleasand time there.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank miephansnetherlands
Reviewed February 7, 2013

It is not easy to find at night when your driving yourself but it's well worth the effort. This is a beautiful hotel in a very unsuspecting area. The atmosphere and hospitality is wonderful. we really liked our short stay and will definitely stay here again when flying in or out of Sri Lanka. I highly recommend this place either to unwind after a long flight or to get prepared for one.. either way this place is perfect.. and beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have just arrived home after a wonderful three week tour of Sri Lanka. We choose to spend both our first and last night in the country at the Wallawa, due to its close proximity to Colombo Airport.

We arrived at 10.30 in the morning following a 13 hour flight from the UK. Don't be put off by the rough mud track that leads up to the hotel as the place is a real gem and one of the best we stopped in during our tour. The hotel is small and you are made to feel most welcome by the attentive staff. The hotel is set in beautiful gardens with a wonderful tropical woodland swimming pool. Afternoon tea with buscuits and cake was served free of charge at 3pm in the gardens. Our evening meal was superb and due to a very early start the following day we were provided with a packed breakfast.

After spending three weeks in eight other very good hotels in Sri Lanka we returned to the Wallawa for our last night, again our stay here was excellent and most relaxing, being so close to the airport we were able to have a very good breakfast which set us up for our flight home..Rooms were very comfortable..although we were only 15 mins from the airport we were not aware of any air traffic or airport noise.... We are fussy travellers .... this was Excellent.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bucklehouse
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the wallawwa for one night at the start of our seven night tour in Sri Lanka. The hotel wasn't too far from the airport which was perfect after a long 10 hour fight!! We had a great welcome, the welcome drink and wet cold towel were exactly what we needed on arrival! The hotel room was lovely, the bed was comfortable, we had a problem with our first room as the roof was leaking but we were moved as soon as we mentioned it.

The food was amazing, both for dinner and for breakfast. Great portion sizes. Unfortunately we only spotted the swimming pool as we were leaving so it was a shame we didn't get a chance to give it a go!

This really was a great hotel in a great location, set in beautiful surroundings. A brilliant start to our holiday!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2013

There's not much point in repeating all that has already been written about The Wallawwa. The hotel is indeed of a minimally aesthetically pleasing design. However, I do think it very over the top for reviews to call it luxurious. It is cheaply furnished and decorated - but that's not a complaint - just a factual observation. It may be luxury for backpackers, but no one who has ever stayed at a genuine 5* hotel would call The Wallawwa luxury. It is however a good functional hotel at a low price.

The staff are indeed very nice, the gardens are lush, and I particularly liked the hidden pool area. Surprisingly these were possibly the best beds we had in Sri Lanka, and also the biggest shower space with a good shower pressure. The food was also very good, some of the best we had, and it was especially nice to be given complimentary tea and cakes mid-afternoon.

However came up with the concept of this hotel has a hit on their hands - it had the largest number of people coming and going of any hotel in Sri Lanka I witnessed in two weeks. So, my following comment is a pretty important one for the owner and all travellers ....

Sadly, I have one complaint. Most people use this hotel for its easy access to Colombo airport, and many have early morning flights. So there are 3 essentials to make this transition from hotel to airport work like clockwork:-

A) you need a reliable wake-up call.

B) you want breakfast quickly - possibly served in your room

C) you need a reliable transfer to the airport.

We got A) and C), but despite me giving my 3 requests and writing them down, the hotel still managed to miss out B), thus creating unnecessary stress early in the morning. Obviously I don't want or expect to have to chase up room service to find out where my breakfast is when I'm concentrating on showering and getting ready for my early morning flight, and then have breakfast arrive minutes before my transfer.

So, I do highly recommend The Wallawwa to make for a quick exit from Sri Lanka - I think most people would have a relaxing time here - but I highly suggest you factor in some extra time in case things go wrong at the hotel and you have a flight to catch.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends