1,108 results
All reviewslong flightone nightlast nightsri lankaclose to the airportboutique hotelon arrivalcolombo airportgarden suiteafternoon teatwo nightshuge bathroomminutes from the airportstayed longermountbatten suitebeautiful hotelswimming pool
Reviewed January 16, 2012

After a pretty hideous flight, it was bliss to arrive at the Wallawwa. Convenient for the airport but very quiet and excellent food. My first Sri Lankan curry breakfast and hoppers - brilliant. The bedroom was very nice but the lighting not good enough to read by without my trusty torch. Very smart bathroom and the health spa did a wonderful massage. The pool was also very nice but there is only one drawback to the Wallawwa .......... mosquitos. The bed nets are not really good enough and our friends' daughter got 37 bites in one night!!!!!!! I got the only bite of our trip here and had a lump like a golfball on my forehead for a few hours. So take the deet and the visit will be perfection!

Room Tip: take deet and a torch
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
TheWallawwa, Managing Director at The Wallawwa, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Dear 'Halftidy',
Many thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. We're delighted that you thought we were an excellent option for your first night in Sri Lanka and that you enjoyed the food & spa treatments we offer. We take a great deal of time working on our menus and ensuring every dish/treatment is as it should be, so we're very grateful for your comments & appreciation.

We have taken your other points on board and will look to rectify any shortcomings. We already 'fog' the garden once a week and have plug-in repellent in each room to keep the mosquitoes at bay, but we will look to increase the number of both. If you have time, please feel free to email me directly on henry@thewallawwa.com with any further feedback - I'd be delighted to hear it. It's feedback such as yours that allows us to continually improve.

We very much hope to welcome you back to The Wallawwa in the future.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

What a fantastic location just 20 mins. away from Colombo's airport. We stayed here the day before our return flight and wished we could have stayed another day to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of this delightful hotel.
Next time we'll stay here on the way in and on the way back. Everything is quietly elegant, the bedroom, the bathroom, the guest areas both inside and out. We had a delicious lunch, dinner and breakfast and couldn't fault any of it. The food is creative and well priced. The staff are attentive but discrete.
It's a winning formula if you are looking for a "country house atmosphere" then this for you.

Room Tip: All rooms have their own private small garden. We were in a room off the main internal courtyard which we found to be very quiet and beautifully proportioned.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vieuxrichard
Reviewed January 13, 2012

The Wallawwa is probably the best place to rest your hat when you first arrive into Sri Lanka. If you, like me, touch down just after midnight, you would just want to get to your hotel quickly, shower and sleep. Road travel in Sri Lanka is an exhausting thing. Badly maintained and naroow roads, poor street lighting all make for slow driving or a very scary journey (depending on your driver). If you try to squeeze in all the sights during your holiday without a chance to slow down, you'll live to regret it.

The Wallawwa is quite close to the airport (about 30mins, max.). Far from Colombo. A good idea location-wise. You can skip the administration capital and just slow down to readjust to Sri Lanka speed. The food they serve here is fantastic. I don't know anything about the drinks list because I don't drink. We stuck around for a day and a half and spent it eating. There's a sprawling garden to stroll around and we didn't really care to venture out because we wanted to take a break before the next stretch of the journey while getting over jetlag. There is a pool at the front but when I was there during the rainy season, it was way too cold to get a dip. Oh, we did not bother to search for another place to eat because we simply couldn't get enough of the food there!

The rooms are rather dark and the bed positions were a bit awkward, especially in my room with the double beds but I wasn't grumbling much since I knew my stay was a transit one. The toilet was huge and very bright with natural light. They had a glass panel in the roof.

In the day, we got some street noise from the window side of our room but it was ok. My partner took the massage service offered in the hotel but he said he wasn't impressed.

The pricing of the stay is costly. The 24% tax is a killer. I'm not sure if that rate applies everywhere in Sri Lanka. Maybe it's just Colombo. Altogether, Sri Lanka is NOT a cheap place to holiday in. You really have to plan in advance to make sure you don't mess up your budget. The car hires are expensive but if you don't have much time, it's the only way to go. You can cover some journeys using very scenic trains. Try asking your hotel to book the good tickets for you in advance. They will charge a service fee but I think it's still better that you do it yourself. That is if you care to have the viewing carriage.

The best tip I can offer you about traveling in Sri Lanka is to plan well in advance if you only have about a week there. If you have a month there, you can plan less. And make sure you keep enough cash on your for transactions. ATMs are a rare breed in that country.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
TheWallawwa, Managing Director at The Wallawwa, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2012

Dear GigiQ,
Many thanks for you review and feedback about The Wallawwa. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay with us (in particular the food that we offer) and found the hotel a relaxing place to recuperate on arrival into Sri Lanka.

With regards to the taxes, this is the case throughout Sri Lanka. Every hotel has to charge the applicable Government taxes and a 10% Service Charge, which add up to 26.71%. This is clearly stated in all room reservation correspondence and on our website. Unlike many hotels in Sri Lanka, however, our restaurant and spa menus include the taxes and we only add on an additional 10% for Service Charge (which is distributed amongst the entire team).

As mentioned in my private message to you, if you have time to provide more feedback regarding the room and spa treatment that would be much appreciated. As highlighted by many other reviews, our spa team generally get fantastic comments, and have many repeat guests coming specifically for spa treatments, so we're extremely interested to hear your partner's thoughts on his treatment.

Once again, thank you for your review, we very much hope to welcome you back to The Wallawwa so you're able to see the improvements we have made following your feedback and since your last stay with us.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Nice hotel near the airport, Food is quite good, even if they have a limited choice (Carte is big, but they don't have everything).
Breakfast is great.
Bedrooms are ok, but with no view, at least for the 2 rooms we had.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CasaSari

Dear CasaSari,
Thank you for your review about your stay at The Wallawwa. I'm delighted you liked the hotel and enjoyed your breakfast.

I have sent you a private message with my email address asking if you could let me know the date on which you stayed so that I can check with the kitchen what wasn't available. We pride ourselves on the menu options we have and for a small boutique hotel believe we offer an excellent range of high quality food using the finest and freshest produce available in Sri Lanka. I apologise if there was something not available during your stay and can assure you that this would only be the case if there were ingredients not available (or up to the right standards) at the time.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

This is the first time I've been compelled to write a review on trip advisor, but it's a must after my delightful experience at The Wallawwa.

I stayed at The Wallawwa during this past Christmas holiday. After an exhausting 10 hour flight we arrived at Colombo airport at 1 in the morning. A driver from the hotel had come to collect us at the airport gates and was there waiting with a smiling welcoming face.

This was my first time in Sri Lanka, so I didn't know what to expect, but never thought I would experience such luxury and good service as I did with this hotel. I'm an avid world traveller, and like my luxury and relaxation. This place had it in trumps!!

After a greatly welcomed short commute from the airport, we turned up a beautiful palmed driveway, which lead us up to the oasis that is The Wallawwa. My hat goes off to the designer/s. The architecture, right down to the decor and interior design was breathtaking - absolutely stunning. A mixture of sensory delights. Right up my street.

The rooms were gorgeous. I can't mention the room without mentioning the bed. I had the most comfortable bed I'd ever experienced. So much so, that I had to ask where the mattress was from the next morning.

The service was second to none. The friendly staff were constantly around to help without being imposing.

Then of course there was the food. Another regret of not staying longer was the fact that I didn't get to try more things on the menu. The eggs benedict was stupendous!

I also treated myself to a massage at the Z Spa. Maggie, you have magic hands!!

All I can say is that if you are going to Sri Lanka or Colombo, The Wallawwa is a must stay hotel. Don't make the same mistake I made, which was to only stay there for a short 2 days. If I'd known what treats and visual delights were in store I would have lengthened my stay in a heartbeat. Next time!

It was a sanctuary away from the busy bustling streets of Colombo. I actually would have preferred to stay at the hotel, play croquet and breathe in every relaxation the place had to offer, than battle Colombo shopping. It offered the perfect break from work, start to my holiday and more than that it was the cherry on my Christmas pudding!

Go. Stay. Relax. Enjoy.

It was fab!!! full points!!

E.B