“Stunning views, and friendly staff, but with some downsides.”
Review of Hotel Gloria

Hotel Gloria
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Beatenberg
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

If you're after a view, the hotels of Beatenberg are hard to beat. The village sits half way up a mountain, and has fantastic views of Jüngfrau, Monch, and the Eiger, as well as lake Thun. My room at Gloria had a balcony with seats, from which the epic view could be enjoyed.

The staff at Gloria are very friendly and welcoming, and always keen to offer travel tips and advice. English is spoken very well by most of the staff too.

However there are a few downsides. There's no air conditioning, so on a hot summer night the room can be a little uncomfortable, although Bestrnberg is always a Good 3-5 degrees cooler than Interlaken. There's little to no soundproofing, so whatever my neighbours did, I heard pretty much as if they were in the room with me, be that walking around, arguing, conducting conference calls, snoring, or dealing with their screaming children. The wonderful balcony is directly above the outside seating for the hotel's restaurant, so when the guests start smoking, the balcony becomes unusable and I had to close the door. This then made the lack of air conditioning a bigger issue. And finally, Beatenberg, for all it's great views, is a bit of trek from Interlaken. It takes about 20 minutes by car, along a very twisty and narrow mountain road.

Despite these niggles (and I really would suggest the hotel management ban smoking in the outside restaurant, as it often ruined the balcony completely), the friendly staff and incredible views save the day.

• Stayed: August 2013
twistedswister, Owner at Hotel Gloria, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our Hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our magnificent view & your positive comments regarding our friendly staff are much appreciated.
We are sorry to hear of your discomfort & feel really sad you did not just talk to us about this during your stay.
You stayed during an unusually warm Summer period where we had two weeks of over 30 degree days, this is not so normal for Switzerland so it is rare to find airconditioning in small Hotels as it is very rarely required. We do however have free standing Fans available, which had we been aware of your discomfort at the time we could have easily provided.
The very warm weather also made our outside Terrasse a very popular place to be, thank you for your feedback on the smoke, as a result we have created a designated smoking area and requested guests dining outside do not smoke at the tables.
We always encourage our guests to please communicate with us, we believe as long as we are aware of a problem then there is always a solution . Had you let us know you were being disturbed by your neighbours we could have have relocated you to another room.
Finally we find people choose to stay in Beatenberg exactly because it is away from the hussle and bussle of crowded Summer time Interlaken. Beatenberg sits at 1200 metres above Sea level thus offering unrivalled views of Lake Thun & The Alps including the famous Eiger, Mönch & Jungfrau & we are so glad you enjoyed the beauty of our location. Thank you again for sharing your experience, sending our very best wishes to you from Beatenberg. Jacky & Bernhard

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, only good things. Starting from the owners (a gentle couple), who helped us a lot being friendly and giving us lots of good tips on what to do in this Switzerland area. And during our stay there it was my husband birthday, so they prepared a nice cake... The hotel is simple but very comfortable. There is a small supermarket (but good one) very close to the hotel, and it is good to take a walk on that area. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2013

In May 2013, I undertook a short but emotional trip back to my country of birth
- Switzerland - with the purpose of scattering the ashes of my parents up in their
beloved Swiss mountains. I intended to accomplish this on the mountain top of
the Niederhorn above Beatenberg for symbolic reasons.
Unfortunately, I had not forseen the difficulties of securing lodging in Beatenberg
since my journey coincided with Mothers Day and Ascension Day. Having been
turned down by three hotels, one of them because I did not commit myself to three
nights, I finally pleaded my case to Jackie Daniels, who graceously and with
compassion managed to offer me a double room with balcony at the rate of a
single room. She and Bernard Oehrli, owners of the Hotel Gloria, were extremely
helpful in a delicate matter and went out of their way to accommodate my needs.
I pretty much concur with other reviews, however, I was particularly impressed with
the elaborate, delectable breakfast offerings!
In short, I highly recommand Hotel Gloria for their supurb hospitality!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side offer spectacular view of Thunersee and the mountains
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2013

From the moment we arrived we felt the warmth of our hosts Jacky and Bernie at this lovely small hotel. We opted for a lake view room and were not disappointed with stunning views of the Alps and Lake Thun from our balcony, As the weather cleared and the clouds lifted, the wonderful snow-capped mountains were revealed.
We dined in all three nights as the meals were delicious and in particular, Bernie's tempura sashimi tuna was worth having more than once. Bernie knocks up an amazing Thai green curry as well! Breakfast was delicious, with home made goodies, local eggs, bakery items and delicious jams.
We would highly recommend this hotel as a great place to stay; very peaceful but close to the Niederhorn cable car or funicular for an easy trip up or down the mountain. We were recommended to go to Schilthorn and it was a memorable day out, being on "the top of Europe". There is much to see and do in the Beatenberg area and Hotel Gloria is so good to come back to at the end of the day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Can't really find words to describe this hotel in all superlatives. Me and two youngsters are frequent travelers and have been to so many hotels in the world but this hotel is just simply different. It gives us this feeling that we are home. The meal was glorious. The chef should be a Michelin Star. The owners gave us a room with the superb view of the lake. This is just a 5 minute walk to one of Switzerland attractions. The Niederhorn. The hosts are amazing people.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I agree with the majority of other reviews, especially about the hosts (Bernhard and Jackie), as their friendly welcome and interest in us made both very pleased to have chosen to stay here. 2 small details stopped me from giving a 5 star rating. The restaurant was nice, and service was friendly and attentive, but I had what must have been the worst Rösti I've had in Switzerland. My wife enjoyed her meal, and we both enjoyed the starters, so I think I just picked the wrong dish. I thought the hotel was expensive, given the season was ending, although the room was comfortable and breakfast was of a high standard. All in all, a very nice stay made all the nicer by the friendly hosts.

Room Tip: Room 26 had a great balcony and a seperate floor upstairs for Children.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here from Christmas eve until New Years day and had a great time. The owners Bernhard and Jacky are charming hosts and we were treated to the best culnirary experience we could wish for. To compliment his great personality, Bernhard is a brilliant chef. The scenery of the Jungfrau, the Monch and the Eiger from the balcony of your room is breathtaking. The rooms are very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The hotel is in easy reach from Interlaken West by bus for those who wish to make use of public transport as we did (Bus 101). I highly recommend Hotel Gloria, it is great value for money, has got stunning views and only the best food is served.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martin983
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beatenberg
Dorint Bluemlisalp Beatenberg/Interlaken
Hotel Roessli
Hotel Roessli
#2 of 7 in Unterseen
BEATUS Wellness- & Spa-Hotel

Been to Hotel Gloria? Share your experiences!