“Jewel of Hospitality”

Elk Grove Village, Illinois
“Jewel of Hospitality”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

In May 2013, I undertook a short but emotional trip back to my country of birth
- Switzerland - with the purpose of scattering the ashes of my parents up in their
beloved Swiss mountains. I intended to accomplish this on the mountain top of
the Niederhorn above Beatenberg for symbolic reasons.
Unfortunately, I had not forseen the difficulties of securing lodging in Beatenberg
since my journey coincided with Mothers Day and Ascension Day. Having been
turned down by three hotels, one of them because I did not commit myself to three
nights, I finally pleaded my case to Jackie Daniels, who graceously and with
compassion managed to offer me a double room with balcony at the rate of a
single room. She and Bernard Oehrli, owners of the Hotel Gloria, were extremely
helpful in a delicate matter and went out of their way to accommodate my needs.
I pretty much concur with other reviews, however, I was particularly impressed with
the elaborate, delectable breakfast offerings!
In short, I highly recommand Hotel Gloria for their supurb hospitality!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side offer spectacular view of Thunersee and the mountains
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

From the moment we arrived we felt the warmth of our hosts Jacky and Bernie at this lovely small hotel. We opted for a lake view room and were not disappointed with stunning views of the Alps and Lake Thun from our balcony, As the weather cleared and the clouds lifted, the wonderful snow-capped mountains were revealed.
We dined in all three nights as the meals were delicious and in particular, Bernie's tempura sashimi tuna was worth having more than once. Bernie knocks up an amazing Thai green curry as well! Breakfast was delicious, with home made goodies, local eggs, bakery items and delicious jams.
We would highly recommend this hotel as a great place to stay; very peaceful but close to the Niederhorn cable car or funicular for an easy trip up or down the mountain. We were recommended to go to Schilthorn and it was a memorable day out, being on "the top of Europe". There is much to see and do in the Beatenberg area and Hotel Gloria is so good to come back to at the end of the day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Can't really find words to describe this hotel in all superlatives. Me and two youngsters are frequent travelers and have been to so many hotels in the world but this hotel is just simply different. It gives us this feeling that we are home. The meal was glorious. The chef should be a Michelin Star. The owners gave us a room with the superb view of the lake. This is just a 5 minute walk to one of Switzerland attractions. The Niederhorn. The hosts are amazing people.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Switzerland
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I agree with the majority of other reviews, especially about the hosts (Bernhard and Jackie), as their friendly welcome and interest in us made both very pleased to have chosen to stay here. 2 small details stopped me from giving a 5 star rating. The restaurant was nice, and service was friendly and attentive, but I had what must have been the worst Rösti I've had in Switzerland. My wife enjoyed her meal, and we both enjoyed the starters, so I think I just picked the wrong dish. I thought the hotel was expensive, given the season was ending, although the room was comfortable and breakfast was of a high standard. All in all, a very nice stay made all the nicer by the friendly hosts.

Room Tip: Room 26 had a great balcony and a seperate floor upstairs for Children.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dalton, South Africa
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here from Christmas eve until New Years day and had a great time. The owners Bernhard and Jacky are charming hosts and we were treated to the best culnirary experience we could wish for. To compliment his great personality, Bernhard is a brilliant chef. The scenery of the Jungfrau, the Monch and the Eiger from the balcony of your room is breathtaking. The rooms are very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The hotel is in easy reach from Interlaken West by bus for those who wish to make use of public transport as we did (Bus 101). I highly recommend Hotel Gloria, it is great value for money, has got stunning views and only the best food is served.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martin983
AUSTRALIA
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Wow - What a restaruant and with great people running it. We came from Adelaide and met the owners Bernard and Jacqui and without them our Christmas would have been much different in Switzerland. We went to their Restaurant and Hotel complex in Beatenburg called 'Gloria Hotel and Restaurant' on the day before and on Christmas day to have a lunch - and how good it was. Nicely priced and the food was to die for, all cooked personally by Bernard himself - Chestnut Soup to start as a winter warmer, Salmon, Turkey and to top it all off the famous Gloria's Trifle. - Well done and com'on all you aussie's - give it a go. A great place to stay and eat while savouring the delightful scenery around from the superb location. Just up the hill from Intertlaken and on the way to the cable car that takes you to the top of the Neiderhorn (1963 metres) for some more great views over Interlaken. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms and Restaurant have greast views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on part of our honeymoon and it was perfection. Besides the stunning views (which are inevitable in the Alps) the rooms were extremely clean and efficient, the dinner service was delicious, and the owner was fantastically helpful in letting us know great places to visit and things to see in Interlaken and beyond. Absolutely the best part of our trip, and I highly recommend staying here. We will be returning one day.

Room Tip: Throw a dart at a room, you'll hit a good one.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beatenberg
Dorint Bluemlisalp Beatenberg/Interlaken
#1 of 8 in Unterseen
Parkhotel Gunten
Parkhotel Gunten
#1 of 1 in Gunten

Been to Hotel Gloria? Share your experiences!