“After Renovation, This Will Be a Gem”

Crowne Plaza Geneva
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cointrin
Arlington, Virginia
“After Renovation, This Will Be a Gem”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The staff here have really gone out of their way to make up for the inconvenience of the hotel's current renovation. Their service is 5-star. The rooms, meanwhile, are very nice -- brand new, very comfortable, and well conceived.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MyriamFischer, Responsable relations clients at Crowne Plaza Geneva, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear oneisawanderer,

We are pleased to have had you as our guest and thank you for your lovely feedback!

Our priority is to always deliver on our hospitality promise and we are pleased that you appreciated our service excellence.

Your compliments have been shared with our team, which is the greatest motivation for all of us. The team is very proud that you have recognized our everyday efforts during the renovations.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again very soon.

Customer Care Crowne Plaza Geneva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Kent, UK
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My company booked us into this hotel and at no point were they told that the entire ground floor is a building site !! To get in and out of the hotel you need to go through the ground floor. The hotel should have been closed. We had to navigate around builders up ladders and carrying tools and long pieces of wood. The entire ground floor had boards and plastic everywhere. The builders all had hard hats ... the guests did have that option!!!
Then two out of the four lifts were out of order. There was no porter to be found. We had a huge amount of business equipment so we struggled down to the floor below to a make-shift check in.
We were on a very tight business deadline. There was a huge queue and then finally came our turn. There was 3 of us. Our company had already booked us in and paid for it so it should not have been complicated. It took the girl 20 minutes to check us in. I have never experienced such a slow check-in before.
We had dinner in the hotel. We ordered pasta and salad. They forgot our salads. There were two other people in the restaurant and it was not a complicated order. Then in the restaurant staff kept coming in and out of a terrace door - it was freezing to the point I had to go upstairs and get a second jumper.
I still can not quite believe just how terrible this was .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GingerLady
MyriamFischer, Responsable relations clients at Crowne Plaza Geneva, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear GingerLady,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us.

The safety and security of our guests is our priority. Even if some workers are seen working on the ground floor, the safely regulations are duly respected.

Be assured we do everything we can to minimize disruption that may result from the renovations that are currently underway. This renovation will help us offer you the quality you expect and will be achieved by the end of the month.

We are sorry to hear that the experience you had at our restaurant and during the check-in fell below your expectations. We have taken note of your comments and your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and we hope you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Your patronage and support is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I think this is an excellent hotel. Stay was very comfortable. Had a good nights sleep. Staff were very friendly and buffet breakfast was awesome. Only one drawback as far as I am concerned.A little far from city centre. Will stay again sometime in future.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Harish_1973,

We are so thrilled to see that you have rated Crowne Plaza Geneva with the best possible scores and thank you for your lovely comments.

Feedback like yours is great factor of motivation for the entire team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I always wondered why the Crown Plaza moved from its previous location to this one. This used to house the Ramada, so I may as well wonder why the Ramada moved. Lol..well don't let me dabble into the economics of hotel locating business. It is not about this location, I think it is great and just a walking distance to the airport, it is just that the previous building (not too far away) was not bad at all and had real nice comfortable and spacious rooms. The rooms in this Crown Plaza are a bit crampy. They are also still renovating and trying to spruce it up. The service however is a typical Crown Plaza service and not bad at all. Enjoy the breakfast which I think is very good. A shopping mall and cinema is two bus stops away or 15 minutes walk and of course this is just 5 minutes by taxi to the airport. Don't forget to book this hotel early as it is mostly fully booked if you walk in especially during various conventions taking place in Geneva. Definitely a good Crown Plaza to stay and don't forget your free bus pass, just ask at the reception.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Godsent007
MyriamFischer, Responsable relations clients at Crowne Plaza Geneva, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Soji A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

Our hotel joined the IHG InterContinental Hotel Group as a franchisee a few years ago now, in a new location.

We are pleased to see that the level of service offered by our staff and our breakfast buffet contributed to have a comfortable stay with us.

In December 2013, a whole new experience awaits you as we will open up our new Executive Floor: 60 rooms with an area between 35 and 45 square meters in an exclusive and vibrant design. Therefore, you will have to choice to have larger rooms.

We hope we will continue to have the pleasure to welcome you at the Crowne Plaza Geneva.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Well I totally agree with others that hotel is not currently "at its best". Having said that we were made to feel most welcome by all the staff there.

Rooms are not very big but comfortable and we slept well (garden facing room). Seemed strange in a hotel of this quality that the only TV channels in English were CNN and BBC News though.

Restaurant was ok but I think everything will improve when the main restaurant re-opens - not sure if it's a Swiss "thing" but I found food very salty (mainly the meat) although my husband didn't mind. Breakfast was rather expensive so we simply didn't bother - had a snack later in the morning.

Made full use of the free public transport card and bought "Geneva Passes" which saved us the cost of them on the first day alone. Take number 8 bus to French boarder and go on the cable car to top of Mount Saleve - beautiful views over Geneva.

Hotel very close to airport and city centre so all in all we had a good weekend break even if Geneva is rather expensive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dcticker,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Geneva for your stay as well as for writing your review.

Your evaluation of our various services and facilities is highly appreciated and we are delighted to know that you had a comfortable stay with us.

We are currently working on a new entertainment program which will feature a wider choice of channels.

Several options are offered regarding breakfast : a sweet wake up or express breakfast at the bar or a full breakfast buffet at the restaurant. There is something for everybody !

Our new “à la carte” restaurant will open soon in a trendy design.

We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back at the Crowne Plaza Geneva during your next visit to Geneva.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I would normally give a hotel like this a 3-4 star rating for the price of ~$350 I paid, but not with all the renovation going on. It's not a "terrible" hotel, but with the situation they should make better efforts to "compensate" for the construction issues; for that price, it is a ripoff. They should consider some extra ammenities to help people better overlook their current mess. I cannot believe so many reviewers are so forgiving on this point unless Crowne is stacking the deck or reviewers are not in their rooms during the day.

I booked this last minute via Expedia the day before my stay as my plans in Switzerland changed so I didn't have time to go through my normal company travel agent. To get to the temporary reception desk, you have to go through a construction zone to a room downstairs...the whole area smells of industrial glue with the sounds of saws and hammers banging away. The reception people stated no worries...the room renovations are done so the room is nice...just some occassional noise. Wrong!

I checked into my first room on the 2nd floor in the early afternoon to the sounds of hammering all around me. Forget trying to work. I called the front desk and asked to be moved and was put on the 6th floor. A bit less noise but still the same construction noise around from within the hotel. I was on the phone with clients who could hear the hammering in the background. I called in the early evening and spoke with Ana one of the managers, explaining that this was not quite fair given the rate I paid and asked if their was anything they could do for me. While apologetic, she nicely explained that the details of the renovation are posted on the website and that was that. While it may be noisy during the day, they stop by 6pm. They could only offer me some points in their frequent traveler club so basically a lousy coupon to come back. While the renovation is posted on the website, it explains it is limited to the lobby and restaurent area....it doesn't say anything about noise ALL day in the rooms.

I wasn't expecting the room for free, but perhaps some discount off the rate? even dinner? send up a bottle of wine? anything?? I would think they would come up with some sort of something to make me want to come back in the future. I agree with other reviewers that the rooms are clean, bedding is very comfortable, however, if you need to be in your room during the day, stay away for now. I would not have given a terrible rating if the managment had done a bit more for me even if incidental.

I will say the room is quite small and there is no place or luggage rack to set your bag so it will end up with you on the bed. There is no real dresser for your clothing. The renovation materials are "Ikea-esc" laminates which look a bit cheap, however, bathroom is very nicely done. The TV tries to get you to sign up for a $34 "special package" for movies everytime you turn it on by default rather than just going to TV which seems a little tacky. The restaurant food was excellent. Staff is very nice and accomidating; I'm sure they are frustrated they have to deal with this situation.

I am in Switzerland regularly for work and normally stay at the Starling at the airport (which was full) as it has a lap pool, hot tub plus both steam and dry sauna. It's rooms are much larger and I normally pay only $200-300/night. The Crowne only has an exercise room. I'm just not getting $350 dollars worth.

Had they handled me a little better, I might have come back after renovations were done when the Starling was full....but with my experience, very unlikely. I suggest you book the Starling if you need to be near the Geneva airport before this one.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere during the renovation unless you plan not to be in your room during daylight
1 Thank seattletraveler7
Dear seattletraveler7,

We highly appreciate you taking the time to make us aware about your experience. The guest direct feedback is our most precious tool allowing us to progress, to improve the quality of our service.

Be assured that we do everything we can to minimize disruption that may result from the renovations that are currently underway. This renovation will help us offer you the quality you expect and is now almost achieved.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit at our restaurant and appreciate the attitude of all our team members.

IHG rewards Club is the largest loyalty program for hotels and you can use your points in more than 4’600 hotels worldwide.

New York NY
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Really disappointed. I am here for 3 nights for a meeting that we organize at the hotel. They are in the middle of building work and big renovation project (it was needed). The room will be nice (I am in a new room, small but nice) but really they should warn their clients better. At 6.30 am I was already awake because of the noise (and I am jetlag). Also during our meeting this afternoon it was difficult to concentrate because of the noise. When I complained at the reception all what they say is "we know that it was a bit early this morning, we are really sorry. Well I am sorry that I need to pay 220 USD a night for an hotel where I will be awake at 6.30, where it will be difficult to hold a meeting in the meeting room that we pay for, and where the hotel looks in fact like a mess. I understand that they have some work on the way. They should just communicate better, adapt their price to the situation and react better to complains. I am a platinum member.

Dear Brooklyntotheworld,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

All our guestrooms have a new design and a few more steps is needed to finish the public areas. Soon we will be able to welcome you in a brand new and trendy atmosphere, featuring a new restaurant, bar and lounge area.

We hope you will continue to choose Crowne Plaza Geneva for your future travel needs.

customercare@cpgva.ch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cointrin
Movenpick Hotel & Casino Geneva
Starling Geneva Hotel & Conference Center
Starling Geneva Hotel & Conferen...
#1 of 2 in Le Grand Saconnex
Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport
NH Geneva Airport
NH Geneva Airport
#2 of 2 in Meyrin

Been to Crowne Plaza Geneva? Share your experiences!