“Mothers Day Meal”
Review of The Royal Oak Inn - CLOSED

The Royal Oak Inn
Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Quality lunches and evening meals, Sunday carvery,early bird specials,restaurant meals at pub prices
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Mothers Day Meal”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We visited here for the first time last Sunday.
I had been searching for a nice traditional pub meal somewhere in Derbyshire that we hadn't been before. I was initially looking in the Matlock/Bakewell area but came across this mentioned in another review.
We booked for 4 adults and 2 children for 6pm as it said food was served again from 6pm after a break from lunchtime.
I was surprised when we got there at 6pm a lot of people were already seated for meals, although none were eating, so it might be worth next time asking if can book slightly earlier as we had 2 children with us and the early you eat the better for them really.
We were seated in what's called the French room which I think is where people have mentioned dogs are allowed in this part. We saw no dogs and no hint dogs in there really.
We only ordered mains as people commented that the portions are huge. To be honest I think this does depend what you order.
I saw steaks, gammon etc coming out there were MASSIVE portions but I chose a pork dish which wasn't that big and in hindsight I could have managed a starter. The rest of the party had a cod dish with prawn and parsley sauce, chicken with bbq sauce and bacon/cheese and another pork dish.
The 2 children had chicken nuggets/ham egg and chips.
The food was hot and tasty. My pork was slightly over cooked but being the loin that's easily done and wasn't enough to complain about.
We had desserts too. This part of the ordering I didn't like. The waitress just read out what was available off a piece of paper. Unless you have a very good memory its much easier to look at a menu, not sure why they do that?
The service was friendly and efficient. I would return just maybe not for a while.

2 Thank MrsBH46

ilminster
“Excellent pub”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stopped off for lunch on the way to the Peak District, and everything was extremely good. Friendly staff, pleasant surroundings, lots of choice, massive portions (beware if you're eating dinner later!) Definitely recommend.

Derby, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food - But Unwelcoming Service. ”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We dined here for lunch midweek. We were initially going to go to their competition however through reading reviews on Trip Advisor we changed our mind and dined here instead. Upon arrival the waitress was very unwelcoming and when we asked for a table of 3 we were made to feel like it was a real problem. We actually asked her if it was a problem we would go somewhere else. She quickly changed her tune and said she had a large party in the next room so we would have to wait but we were welcome to take a seat. We were seated and looked through the very extensive menu. The food arrived and all 3 meals were beautiful. Overall food was tasty, good quality and generous in portion size. It was just a shame that we weren't made to feel more welcome.

1 Thank Searchingjane
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“weekend away”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Had a meal here for my partners birthday with my sister & brother in law, lovely place in Tansley. Even catered for my partner who has dietary problems, nothing was too much trouble

Excellent menu, varied choice all served piping hot and more than adequate portions.

Definitely recommend this little gem.

staffs moorlands
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

On our second visit we enjoyed another excellent meal, well presented and freshly cooked. The menu is extensive and interesting, there's something for everyone. The welcome is friendly and the service good