“MAKE SURE YOU ARE HUNGRY” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Oak Inn - CLOSED

The Royal Oak Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Quality lunches and evening meals, Sunday carvery,early bird specials,restaurant meals at pub prices
MANSFIELD
“MAKE SURE YOU ARE HUNGRY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Four of us, two males and two females, recently visited The Royal Oak in Tansley for a meal and all of us had a starter and a main course. Having a starter was probably a mistake as these were fairly large to say the least, particularly when the mains arrived as the portions for these were also very large. My wife had soup for the starter and it came in the largest bowl we had ever seen. The other male in our party had the black pudding and bacon which probably would have been large enough as a main course for some people. We found both the starters and main courses to be excellent in taste. In fact the other male admitted defeat and didn't finish his main course which is very rare for him. I strongly suggest that you only go for a meal at the Royal Oak if you are really feeling hungry.
The landlord and barlady/waitress made us very welcome. We go to a number of different pubs/ restaurants and travel anywhere up to around 25 miles and would rate the Royal Oak as by far one of the best. After our excellent experience i am surprised that some people have had cause to downgrade the restaurant.

Derby, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Pub Food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I called in here on our way back from Chatsworth. Wonderful food really big portions and very friendly service a real pleasure.

• Visited November 2013
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Make sure you are hungry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The place wasnt that busy probably because it was a Tuesday lunch time but the food we had was excellent. Large Haddock, chips and mushy peas. Lovely batter covered a large portion of fish which tasted really fresh and not overcooked like so many pubs do with fish. It was delicious as were the very large portion of home cooked chips. I didn't finish my meal as I was full and this is unknown for me. Quite a large and varied menu. Friendly owners and a nice traditional pub. I also saw another diner having the largest bowl of home made soup I have ever seen so don't worry about the portion sizes. Never been before but not far from Chesterfield and we will be back.

Norwich, United Kingdom
“AMAZINGLY VARIED MENU AND SO FRIENDLY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We have eaten here twice during our recent visit to the area and both meals were really excellent. As well as a very varied regular menu their "Specials Board" is a treasure trove! We enjoy "different" food so really appreciated the squid starter and variety of dishes using unusual suaces and ingredient combination. Their wine choices are good too! We shall certainly be back - just wish we didn't live 160 miles away!!

1 Thank JandG1357
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Very nice, overall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We went on a sunday lunchtime and my partner and I both had the carvery lunch which is £9.95 and this price includes a pudding.
The menu in general looked to be very nice, with lots of choice on it and included smaller meals as well as main ones. The pudding menu was fairly extensive too, even if the pudding is included in the carvery deal, which ours was.

The carvery itself was very nice, had a choice of 3 different meats and included lots of extras (the usual sides - potatoes, veg, stuffing, yorkshire puddings, gravy, etc). You could have as much as you wanted but you do have to go upstairs to get it - maybe something to consider if you're disabled?
My only complaint was that some of the food wasn't as hot as it could've been. However, the food was still very nice and the pudding was fantastic. I had peach and strawberry crumble with custard and it all tasted homemade - I was very impressed!
The waitresses were pleasant and attentive although it wasn't that busy so I wouldn't have expected anything less.

All in all, I would recommend this pub!

• Visited September 2013