“Enjoyable Meal”
Review of The Royal Oak Inn - CLOSED

The Royal Oak Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Quality lunches and evening meals, Sunday carvery,early bird specials,restaurant meals at pub prices
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable Meal”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Very good, up-market pub food. The 'Continental Meats' starter was extremely good. We then had the pork loin with apple calvados and sage gravy and the chicken breast with pesto, which were also of excellent quality. All together a delicious meal at a very reasonable price.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Sands_Wales

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Food is delicious.”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

After doing the Lumsdale waterfall walk we decided to have something to eat, as we were parked in the Tansley Tavern pub carpark we decided to go there, but alas they did not have dogs in, so we went looking for another pub in the area and came across The Royal Oak in Tansley it, was very welcoming-didn,t have a problem with dogs, and the food was very nice., my Husband had the steak and ale pie which he said was nice, and I had fish and chips-the fish was massive and very white and fresh-it was lovely, we both had cheesecake after too which was also lovely.
Would recommend this pub.

• Visited September 2012
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

We visited on a Saturday lunch time, the menu on chalk boards is varied and impressive.
I had a home made steak and ale pie. As soon has my meal was served my disappointment started. The pie was small and in a white dish, basically a pastry lid on a dish of meat. It's my pet hate when pies are served in a dish on a plate, they are difficult to eat and I feel cheated. The steak and ale content was pretty disappointing lacked taste, the meat was in a very weak and tasteless gravy. Also on our table we had the pork topped with a brandy sauce which was tasty but needed more sauce. Presentation was poor, the prices are the top end, there are plenty of other pubs that charge these prices which present the food far better and have more pleasant surroundings.
I had read other reviews and been recommended The Royal Oak and may be I had selected the wrong choice but overall I was disappointed with my visit.

Gillingham
“Disappointment”
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

First of all dont try contacting on this number.It doesnt exist.Food mediocre and pricey for what you get.Was it 3 or 4 pieces of steak in the pie. Place could do with a makeover.Still searching for a good value to eat pub in this area.

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Nice pub, how they should be”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

nice varied menu, and specials board, excellent steaks, cooked to perfection.
Beware the garlic bread is massive.

Visited August 2012