“Food is delicious.”
Review of The Royal Oak Inn - CLOSED

The Royal Oak Inn
Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Quality lunches and evening meals, Sunday carvery,early bird specials,restaurant meals at pub prices
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Food is delicious.”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

After doing the Lumsdale waterfall walk we decided to have something to eat, as we were parked in the Tansley Tavern pub carpark we decided to go there, but alas they did not have dogs in, so we went looking for another pub in the area and came across The Royal Oak in Tansley it, was very welcoming-didn,t have a problem with dogs, and the food was very nice., my Husband had the steak and ale pie which he said was nice, and I had fish and chips-the fish was massive and very white and fresh-it was lovely, we both had cheesecake after too which was also lovely.
Would recommend this pub.

• Visited September 2012

“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

We visited on a Saturday lunch time, the menu on chalk boards is varied and impressive.
I had a home made steak and ale pie. As soon has my meal was served my disappointment started. The pie was small and in a white dish, basically a pastry lid on a dish of meat. It's my pet hate when pies are served in a dish on a plate, they are difficult to eat and I feel cheated. The steak and ale content was pretty disappointing lacked taste, the meat was in a very weak and tasteless gravy. Also on our table we had the pork topped with a brandy sauce which was tasty but needed more sauce. Presentation was poor, the prices are the top end, there are plenty of other pubs that charge these prices which present the food far better and have more pleasant surroundings.
I had read other reviews and been recommended The Royal Oak and may be I had selected the wrong choice but overall I was disappointed with my visit.

Gillingham
“Disappointment”
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

First of all dont try contacting on this number.It doesnt exist.Food mediocre and pricey for what you get.Was it 3 or 4 pieces of steak in the pie. Place could do with a makeover.Still searching for a good value to eat pub in this area.

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Nice pub, how they should be”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

nice varied menu, and specials board, excellent steaks, cooked to perfection.
Beware the garlic bread is massive.

Visited August 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Local Pub, Great Meal, Good Value”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is a nice small pub with friendly staff and a pleasant atmosphere. The range of on-tap beers is what I would call adequate, but there appeared to be a reasonable range of bottled beer.

Our group all ordered something different - Chicken, Duck, Shepherds Pie and a vegetarian Quiche and all meals were served very hot and with a choice of new potatoes or chips and a serve of mixed vegetables.

The menu states that all meals are individually prepared and it took about 20 minutes which we felt was reasonable. The plating-up of each meal was very good and especially for a small country pub.

Everyone enjoyed their meal which we think is at the higher end of pub food, not in price - the dearest meal was the Duck at £15.00 - but in food quality, taste and presentation. Our only quibble was the chips with the Quiche which although hot were soft and not crunchy a typical problem when chips are cooked in dripping or old oil. Go for the new potatoes which were perfect.

Last thing,,,seats are very comfortable and tables were basic, but clean and nicely set. Would go again.

• Visited August 2012