“One of our favourite places to stay”

Heartland World Heritage Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Haast
Reviewed April 29, 2012

At first sight, it didn't look very appealing but we enjoyed our stay through a thundery night. There was a wine tasting and the chance to socialise in a friendly environment. Has lots of atmosphere and the rooms were clean and adequate for us.
We travelled a few miles up the coast to Knights Point as the sun was setting and we can recommend that to everyone before dinner.

Stayed: March 2012
There are newer reviews for Heartland World Heritage Hotel

Reviewed April 18, 2012

7 weeks in NZ and this was the worst value.Room tired and scuffed.Noise from other rooms.Abit like a cell block.
Meal amazingly was good and reasonable price

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BCHAP
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Look I understand the varying reviews here, but I have to say, I stayed here with my wife and two children and we had a great night. Sure its a little confronting on arrival, like a B grade movie from the sixties in heartland USA, but our room was clean, it was warm, and we were comfortable. We ate very well and it was not overpriced for what we paid. I would stay here again, after all you don't have much choice, but I would eat where the locals eat. I thought everything was just fine, good actually, I would not be too harsh on them. They all tried hard, Nobody was offended, They are making the best of what they have in a old style property. Would I stay there again on a trip down the West coast to the Alps and fiordland. Yes absolutely.

Room Tip: Forget the Internet. They should just not bother. OK to check your email thou, I can't complai...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This is a dive. We booked on line, well in advance, in full knowledge that there was an a la carte restaurant. Bad decision.

Hotel was full, cafe was closed, and we were directed to a buffet at $30 a head, however the receptionist urged that we get there early to ensure we got fed! Would have rather gone hungry to be honest, my stinky shoe would have tasted better. All food seemed to be instant, frozen type food that you could (although I wouldn't) buy from the supermarket.

Then, the rooms. Dunno where to start, terrible decor, one room had a tiny window, the other had no handle on the slider. Bathrooms were less than basic, one had a cracked floor in the shower which enabled the occupant to feel the floor giving way beneath. No fridges etc, couldn't plug in the clock due to "power fluctuations" (or is it cheaper just to not run them?). Electric blanket couldn't reach to the plug. I think you get the picture!

For what we paid ($160 per night), we feel ripped off, and that the owners are quite simply exploiting the monopoly they think they hold.

One positive, the receptionist on checkout was fantastic, and provided some relief. I have given this one star, only because I want my rating to count. Honestly, no stars is more accurate. Don't waste your time or money, next time we will travel right thru from Westport to Wanaka or Queenstown. Still, it was an experience!

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank mcfaddendr
trippy53, General Manager at Heartland World Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Dear mcfaddendr

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience. Your feedback is important and gives us an indication of the level of our services and a chance to rebuild.

We had to close the Frontier Café & Bar because of the restrictions to the sale of liquor on Good Friday. I am sorry that the receptionist hadn’t made it clear that an a la carte menu was available on request. We had a full house that night and the restaurant was busy, however we had no such complaints in regards to the standard of food served, and there was more than enough food for everyone and never looked to run out. I wish you had brought this to our attention on the night and we would have done our best to rectify.

I agree that the room décor is older, however we are planning an update in the near future. I have looked at the bathroom issue and maintenance are now in the process of replacing the entire unit.

Thank you once again for taking the time to keep us informed. I really do appreciate it.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Booked a room online sometime before we were to travel being aware that there is limited accommodation in the area and popular with travelers as a halfway point between the West Coast and Southland. Wrong decision. We ended up paying a premium room rate for very standard accommodation.

Arrived to find the main entrance was no longer used and had to drive to the other side of the complex to find the reception area. Finally located it next to the public bar/restaurant. The receptionist was was welcoming and helpful and directed us bank to where we had come from to locate our room.

The room was clean and reasonably comfortable but very dated. (One other travel website notes that the hotel was last renovated in the 90's and it looks it) As mentioned this hotel is on the main route for travelers who are circumnavigating the South Island, many of who would have food provisions with them. To not provide a room refrigerator these days is odd and particularly the reason given that it was because of power outages. Yes they do provide a communal fridge but it was some distance from the room, was small and didn't look too inviting. What is even stranger is that we have since found other accommodation establishments in the area do provide fridges and don't appear to have the same power issues. Even if they did a fridge will normally retain it's temperature for some time after a power outage. Seems more of a cost saving exercise.

We enjoyed our meal at the tavern attached to the hotel particularly the whitebait.

Wished we had first checked out other accommodation in the area before selecting this one.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lordsnz
trippy53, General Manager at Heartland World Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

Dear Lordsnz,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. We value your comments as it gives us a measure of our services and to rebuild.

I am sorry that your stay was a disappointment and we as a team take it seriously when guests leave in such a manner.

Our main reception area is currently closed due to the lack of visitors and the slow season that the West Coast has had for a number of years. This was a management decision as it is costly to run such a massive building and the general comment of walking into an empty building. We have put up appropriate signs to direct guests to the current reception area.

The refrigerator issue as explained in our compendiums is something we hope can be resolved in the near future, Haast is not connected to the main grid, we run off a small turbine just enough to provide for the community, and with 54 rooms this can drain a lot of electricity.

Our prices are not premium as stated; they are slightly higher than city Hotels, as a result of the isolation and the running costs involved.

I do apologize for the inconvenience and not meeting your expectations.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I stumbled upon this gem of a hotel on a cold, wet day and warmed ourselves by the fire while waiting for our coffee and cake. There was a selection of home made cupcakes and generous slabs of carrot cake on offer and what a great choice the carrot cake turned out to be. It was mouth wateringly moist and absolutely delicious. We savoured every mouthful and agreed it was the best we had ever eaten. Top marks to the manager's wife who I understand turns out these scrumptious treats. Thank you for a lovely afternoon tea. We'll be back next trip for a night or two - and more carrot cake!

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
trippy53, General Manager at Heartland World Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Dear Janette T996

Thank you for your lovely comments.

We have just started with the homemade cakes and your comments are well appreciated.
The chef and team are over the moon. The homemade cakes are a sure keeper.

Once again thank you and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at the hotel on Jackson Bay Road as opposed to the one on State Highway - a bit confusing for us and the hotel. They didn't have a record of our booking but managed to squeeze us in to the last available room. The room was very dated but was clean. No bar fridge in the room, just a shared one in the hallway. Also our front sliding door locking barrel was missing so couldn't be locked from the outside.

Good things were the staff who were very helpful and friendly and the funny little attached 'pub' with its western frontier theme was a great place to sit (on the deck) and watch the stunning sunset and eat a pretty good meal.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
trippy53, General Manager at Heartland World Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

Dear Carol S

Thank you very much for the feedback on your stay. The team appreciates the feedback as it gives an indication of what we need to build on.

I have relayed your feedback to all the staff and they were delighted in your comments.

I am sorry for the confusion in the bookings however we managed to provide a room. Maintenance has replaced the lock on the sliding door.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kind regards