“Good Meal”

The Frontier Cafe & Bar - Haast NZ
Ranked #6 of 8 Restaurants in Haast
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe, Pub
Description: We offer a true New Zealand experience. From the menu to the decor you are set in a local scene. A bustling fire place, perfect after a long cold day. You must try our local cuisine, a whitebait pattie caught in the local river or a venison pie from the deep south, there is something for everyone, a chance to catch up with one of our locals and learn about our corner of the World.
Katikati, New Zealand
“Good Meal”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had a good mal here on Good Friday 2013. Great whitebait fritter teaser followed up a good solid meal. We were going to get takeaways, but they were closed, so we ended up The Froniter and we were both very happy with the meal.

• Visited March 2013

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Trying to say something helpful”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Trying to say something helpful rather than just negative is taxing my brain.

Ok, this local pub is one of two in the village.

I can't say much to encourage you to eat here beyond this:

I had 'Chef Robert's recommendation', Canterbury Lamb Shank. I will wager good money that this was a packaged product. I saw it put in a microwave by the seemingly earnest Chef Robert.

Gordon, where are you?

What I failed to see whoever was how he sucked out all flavour and texture.

Presentation of this cardboard horror was miraculous though.

I have never served a boil in the bag anything , except a tea bag to myself.

Please, Chef Robert, don't dishonour your title.

Greeley, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Get the whitebait patty”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

There is not much to choose from to eat in Haast, but the Froniter Cafe is OK. I had the whitebait patty which is a saute of a whole lot of little whitebait fish, like minnows, with some egg. Sounds a little weird, but tasted fine. It is local fare, and there is a book on each table explaining the history and local legend of whitebaiting, a near religion, in the area. A great taste of local custom.

Visited February 2013