All reviews picnic lunch staff went out of their way classic swiss reception staff are gourmet experience stayed here for one week every evening local ingredients weather conditions fresh bread wonderful hotel walking holiday four courses railway station town centre coffee and cake hotel room
Reviewed May 14, 2018 via mobile

Clean, modern and big rooms for our family stay with our toddler. Bed for our toddler were in the room without asking. There was also great goodies for in the shower specially for the kids. Next year we’re staying here again!

Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2017 via mobile

A wonderful family run hotel, so good we returned again this year!
The rooms are wonderful with very comfortable beds and lovely views from the balcony.
There are lots of places to go and see, the reception staff are able to tell you all about the area and give you a discount ticket too!

Stayed: December 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2017

I spent 6 nights at the Hotel Alfa Soleil in August of 2017. Everyone was super friendly and very helpful when I needed ice for several days due to a sprained wrist. The food was really good although the options for the packed lunch for hiking were rather limited. Nonetheless, it was a good choice for a hiking holiday - the more so when the weather turned bad and I had to spend more time in the hotel room than I had expected. Lucas was not working the first few days of my stay which was my loss as he had more suggestions for ways to spend rainy days than those at the hotel with whom I had met earlier. Everyone very helpful and accommodating.

Room Tip: Rooms do not have fans or air conditioning. Worth the extra money to get a balcony. I was able to stay out there even in some of the rain.
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed October 16, 2017

The service in the hotel is excellent. Lucas the manager was hugely helpful, suggesting walking routes and did his best to be our holiday rep (our travel company had withdrawn theirs from the resort just before our arrival). All of the staff were very good and made us feel welcome. The hotel is not at all 'stuffy' or 'sniffy' and is very informal.

The food at the Alfa is exceptional and unusual. There is a beautiful herb and vegetable garden in the hotel grounds which from which the chef, Nico, creates interesting and tasty dishes and both of us were very well catered for (my wife does not eat meat). In addition we enjoyed a fondue, barbecue evening and kartofel festival. One evening we were treated to alpine horn players playing outside the entrance sounding amazing in these surroundings.

The hotel offers a pass for the local bus and cable cars, about £10.00, a bargain and the cheapest way to get around. Although there are lots of walks from Kandersteg, most go sharply upwards and many dramatic alpine walks are best cabled to. When we realized how cheap the passes were we tended to buy them daily and begin our walks at altitude. There are a huge number of walks in Kandersteg and although we were there for 14 nights there was no need to travel elsewhere for our walking.

Our room was ok - we had a balcony which was nice to sit out on and recover when we returned in the late afternoon. The room itself was very old fashioned and had a traditional feel which may have disappointed other visitors. The shower was a little on the small size but for us the room hardly mattered as we only spent the late evening / afternoon there in recovery for the next day. The whole hotel has a very traditional feel. There is a swimming pool but in a basement which could be more appealing - but was welcome after a hot walk.

In the village itself there is little apart from other hotels and bars and Kandersteg has a quiet feel about it (we were there in the late summer) - although there are various local mountain activities available - a roped climb / paragliding.

The best bit? In the hotel the food and meals which came as a real surprise. The least? Difficult to say - I suppose the room could have been a little 'brighter', but personally that did not bother me (the bloke) but was more of an issue for my wife.

Would we go again? And eat that excellent food? And be spoilt rotten? Well it would be rude not to. Hope to return soon.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed an amazing evening at the hotel Alfa Soleil. The day before we reserved the table and ordered a vegan menu. This wasn't a problem and they created an excellent five course menu for us. The waiters were very kind and fulfilled every single of our desires. We'll certainly come again!

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family