Kandersteg is surely one of the most beautiful places in the world. It walls within the Junfrau World Heritage area. South west of Interlaken it is not yet as crowded or commercial as the towns on the South East (Grindenwald, Lauterbrunnen etc). This was the second year in a row that we spent summer in Kandersteg. The last year (2011) we were at the Royal Park which as a hotel was a huge disappointment - surely falsely claiming to be a 5 star property. This year royal park shut down and the "next best" place we heard was Doldenhorn. And I am so happy that Royal Park shut down otherwise we never would have discovered this Gem. Here are the things I loved about this place (in no particular order)
1. Nice location - not as nice perhaps as Royal Park - in terms of the view - but still very good and more secluded and private. Right behind our room ( we had almost the whole of one of the chalets) was a huge wooded cliff soaring high. Ample car parking and ground spaces.
2. Outstanding food - really a class above anything else . But they need English menus. Surprising they just didnt have English menus. Fortunately Annika - spoke excellent English and explained everything for us. Great Breakfast - and with some trouble - special requests were eventually accomodated
3. Large, comfortable, modern and very clean rooms - nothing fantastic - but with the amazing natural environs - really who needs or even wants - the typical over the top rooms at the fancy big chains or the small chic boutiques.
4. Bar open round the clockl
5. Pool - what an amazing pool and spa. Many saunas, steam room, cold plunge etc etc. But the highlight is the pool - which is indoor - but has a small "door" through which one can swim into a part of the pool which is in the outdoors - mmmm - savor the crisp air and mountain views and then come back in. We did this all the time.
6. Staff was efficient. Not super polite - but by swiss standards - very good. And very willing for pickups and dropoffs from/to the station and restaurants (Des Alpes was a place we went to often - nice pizzas/burgers/pastas and a place where you can let the kids run and scream - when you've had enough of the formal atmosphere at the restaurant in the hotel)
Nothing really negative to report about the hotel as such. Overall in switzerland one does sometimes find the service to be a bit reluctant and unwilling - even if its efficient. I am not sure how to describe it. Some of my friends felt there's a racist attitude in switzerland. I am not sure quite what it is. The staff is usually efficient but in a "matter of fact" way - not warm or friendly. But in my experience this is "normal" in Switzerland.
Simple, comfortable - great food - great pool
Best things to do in Kandersteg
Oeschinen see - got to do the toboggan up there
Excursions to Frutigen, Adelboden and of course interlaken
the Rothorn Bahn in Brienz is outstanding - google it !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Staying with friends" In Kandersteg, the most beautiful place in the Bernese Oberland, to expect the Waldhotel Doldenhorn **** Superior with its award-winning cuisine, which you can enjoy in various restaurants and bars. The Resort features a generous wellness & spa area, where you can bathe in the purest mountain spring water. In enchanting little park, the mountain water flows harmoniously through small streams. Our hotel invites you to relax, enjoy and feel a. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Waldhotel Doldenhorn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waldhotel Doldenhorn Kandersteg
- Waldhotel Doldenhorn Hotel Kandersteg