“great view, nice room, good food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Bernerhof

Hotel Bernerhof
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Kandersteg
Guelph
“great view, nice room, good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

We stayed in a superior Blümlisalp room which meant it had a great view across the valley.
The room was nice, with a little sitting area and a bathtub. The only problem with the room was that the walls were a bit thin so we could sometimes hear people through them. We could also hear people upstairs running around.
We didn't have a problem with Claudia. However, having read some of the previous reviews, we were very careful not to cross her.
The food in the restaurant was good. I was pleased to find that they had a plate of vegetables as a vegetarian option. Instead of doing weird things to the vegetables like most places would have, they were content to just cook them in some butter. After all the cheese and bread it was a welcome change!
The location in the valley was quite convenient. It was pretty central while still offering a great view.
All in all, The Hotel Bernerhof was good for the price (215 chf for a double). It is clean, comfortable and convenient. It is a good but not outstanding hotel.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Ross
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

We were early for check in. I smelled coffee and asked if we could have a cup. Sure, sit in the lobby. We did. We were brought coffee, a cookie, and a bread roll. Upon checkout, surprise! 10chf! There was a charge for the coffee, and another for the bread roll, which we did not order. No mention of cost was made at the time of order. There is no sign or menu mentioning this in the lobby.

One morning we ate the included breakfast, went up to our room, came back down and wanted more coffee. Breakfast was still being served. Sure! Sit in the lobby. Guess what-another surprise charge at checkout. This time no bread, though.

Nice rooms with outstanding balcony views from the "Blümlisalp“ (front side/spectacular mountain view) rooms. I recommend this hotel only for the views from this type of room. If you don't want to pay for the Blümlisalp room, I suggest you say somewhere else in Kandersteg for much less money.

This hotel has the very best location for spectacular balcony view of the Öeschinensee valley.

Except for my restaurant comments below, the staff was quite helpful, especially on suggestions for hikes and trips on rainy days. Quite functional automatic old washer and dryer are located in the basement for use of guests for laundry. Wash and dry about 4-4.5 CHF.

One morning I took a boiled egg to my table. When I opened it, it oozed out of its shell. It was very soft boiled. I asked owner Claudia if I could have a hard boiled egg. She became incised and adamant that the egg that was oozing in front of her was the perfect breakfast egg, seemingly insulted that I would suggest otherwise. She also said that if she cooks them one way, people will complain they want it another way. All I did was ask for a hard boiled egg. Well, I have had extensive experience trying to persuade Swiss German women to do something out of their set procedures. (Try getting a second key for your hotel room anywhere in Switzerland, for example.) So I let her wind down and shrugged my shoulders. I did not mention salmonella, nor did I suggest cooking both soft and hard boiled eggs and labeling them. Then, later, I pocketed an egg each morning and cooked them another 5 minutes in my room.

When I complained about the bill for the coffee, and especially about the bread, I encountered Claudia again. Sheeze. The fact that no price was advertised or mentioned did not faze her. She said that if I did not want the bread, I should have refused it. The fact that I did not order it had to be stated emphatically several times before she would remove the charge for it. The fact that one time the coffee was requested during breakfast hours did not faze her. Apparently where you drink the coffee makes an economic difference in her mind. I had no success getting the charges for the coffee removed. Apparently the fact that I was paying CHF 215.00 per night is not relevant. The hotel will still nickel and dime you when it can.

In retrospect, I am glad that my removal of the eggs for more cooking for food safety was not noticed. I can imagine an attempt at charging me for eating my egg in the wrong place.

Beware of surprise charges. Always, always ask the cost of anything you ask for and anything given to you that you did not ask for. I do mean anything. Else, you end up arguing with Claudia. And never ask Claudia for anything. If you really need it. ask someone else. Else you might be on her "list" for the duration. From reading other write-ups of this place, apparently I am not the only one who has experienced her wrath.

I recommend this hotel only for the views from this type of room. If you don't want to pay for the Blümlisalp room, I suggest you say somewhere else in Kandersteg for much less money, and probably a much less greedy attitude.

4 Thank prfgary
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

This was a 3* hotel with 5* food and I am not exagerating the food was top class. The presentation and service was second to none.
As far as the hotel is concerned we found it to be very good with a nice position with a three minute walk to the sky lift.
Kandersteg was nice, but not brilliant, like Zermatt

neptune beach, fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

We enjoyed our stay; staff/owners very friendly and helpful. The room, while nice and clean, was very small. But the dinner was the very best part. It was the best meal we had while in Switzerland.

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

We were picked up from the station - a good start - and service was second to none throughout 6 night stay. All staff were very helpful and friendly - nothing was too much trouble. Food wonderful throughout. Attention to detail great - table settings different each evening!
I was sorry to leave and would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Norwich, GB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

The fantastic walking opportunities in Kandersteg were greatly enhanced by a very enjoyable stay at the Bernerhof Hotel. The staff were, without exception, friendly, efficient and helpful. The meals were tasty and attractively presented and the hotel had a comfortable atmosphere with attention to detail.
The small supplement required to secure a front facing bedroom is ABSOLUTELY worth the cost! It offers a chocolate box view which we found hard to leave behind!
Looking forward to a return visit.

Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

My wife and I thorougly enjoyed our 4 night stay at this wonderful hotel. All of the staff were friendly and very efficient. The hotel is in a wonderful location and the surrounding scenery is magnificent. the hotel was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The restaurant service was excellent and reasonably priced for fixed menus.
A good range of food was offered at the buffet breakfast..
The only negative was that our room was quite compact (small) however very clean and comfortable.
This hotel is everything that i imagined a swiss chalet hotel to be.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kandersteg
Waldhotel Doldenhorn
#7 of 9 in Kandersteg
The Cambrian
The Cambrian
#1 of 15 in Adelboden

Been to Hotel Bernerhof? Share your experiences!