All reviewsgreat hostsgreat storiesplace to staybreakfast tablelovely hometrain stationfeel right at homeinteresting peoplefamily stylebeautiful valleyanywhere in the worldoff the beaten trackbreadlocal areastayed longerensuite bathroomwarm welcome
Reviewed January 7, 2013

You know when you meet people who love what they do because they are exceptional at it, well Kerry and Peter, the owners of the Hayloft are excalty those types of people.

The Hayloft is more than a B&B, they have created a home away from home atmosphere.
Breakfasts are bountiful and delicious! Expect a leisurely breakfast with charming hosts.
They are both brilliant conversationalist open in every way about their fascinating life story, justifiably proud of the beautiful home that they have renovated. Helpful in every way about ensuring that those staying at Hayloft get all that they can from their stay in Kandersteg.
Peter has tremendous knowledge of the local area and is always willing to help. Kerry's cooking is just delicious. I could go on and on!!!!

I highly recommend the Hayloft , dont just book it for a holiday, you should just go there to meet Kerry, Peter, James, Anchor and snorkel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had a wonderful experience at the Hayloft. My daughters and I stayed at The Hayloft for three nights in July. Kerry and Peter are great hosts. They are very friendly but at the same time respectful of your privacy. Peter knows the area very well and can advice you on the best hikes and spots to visit. We enjoyed very much the food including the wonderful breakfasts featuring local products. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2012

If you need a flatscreen TV or a bar fridge in your room then this might not be the place for you. Come here though and the wonderful scenery starts with the view from any window in the house. The Hayloft is a beautifully restored/rebuilt Swiss farmhouse, just far enough out of the village to be in an open field but still easy walking distance. Kerry and Peter really are wonderful hosts who go out of their way to look after guests. Stay for dinner too. Not only will you be well fed but the dinner conversation with the family and others guests was always interesting. During the course of a six week holiday in Europe I stayed in quite a few nice places but this really was outstanding. I should also mention that Kandersteg is a very good base for further exploring with plenty of good walking opportunities and good train access to other places if desired.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Greg W
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The Hayloft is very well organized as you can expect in Switzerland, but with a friendly, cosy touch. Everything was very clean and the beds slept wonderful. The breakfast is a special experience together with the owners at the big table in the kitchen with all delicious, local food. The location is a perfect start for different hikes or cable carts. We started our hike to the Dolderhornhutte from here. Also walking distance to some nice restaurants.
I recommend this to anybody looking for a nice and quiet b&b experience!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank _Frog_NL
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I’m giving the Hayloft this rating to praise it but also to note some aspects that readers may think differently about. I booked for about 8 days in mid-late Sept. for the first six by myself before a son joined me. I came to Kandersteg to hike. This is an extraordinariyl rich area for hiking. Peter is extremely knowledgeable about the routes and the mountain restaurants and huts and serves as a virtual mountain guide. The routes range from easy/baby stroller to multi-day trips over passes. With Peter’s advice (you need to make sure he knows your abilities and limits) I had four days hikes alone. With my son, we checked out and literally walked from the door of the Hayloft for a three day hike involving a high pass and a fabled valley. From the doorstep of the Hayloft, you can walk to three lifts to take you higher, and there are easily a dozen trails from the valley floor. The Hayloft is located about a mile from the center of town, past cow pastures. I was without a car. The guesthouse has only one interior public area, with a dining room table. My room, with two single beds, was simple, small and with a stunning southern view of mountain peaks. You might feel restricted, though I did not, as I had plenty to read and the weather was good for all but one day, when I took an excursion to the grave site of the poet Rilke. Kerry and Peter are very personable. I looked forward to having breakfast with them daily.
For those who want to spend several days hiking, this is a very valuable guesthouse in an extraordinary setting.

Room Tip: Double room off the public area, great view and no noise from public area. Bathroom on lower level adds charm.
Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo