“For hikers, this is a wonderful place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hayloft

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kandersteg
The Hayloft
Ranked #1 of 14 Kandersteg B&B and Inns
WOODSTOCK
“For hikers, this is a wonderful place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I’m giving the Hayloft this rating to praise it but also to note some aspects that readers may think differently about. I booked for about 8 days in mid-late Sept. for the first six by myself before a son joined me. I came to Kandersteg to hike. This is an extraordinariyl rich area for hiking. Peter is extremely knowledgeable about the routes and the mountain restaurants and huts and serves as a virtual mountain guide. The routes range from easy/baby stroller to multi-day trips over passes. With Peter’s advice (you need to make sure he knows your abilities and limits) I had four days hikes alone. With my son, we checked out and literally walked from the door of the Hayloft for a three day hike involving a high pass and a fabled valley. From the doorstep of the Hayloft, you can walk to three lifts to take you higher, and there are easily a dozen trails from the valley floor. The Hayloft is located about a mile from the center of town, past cow pastures. I was without a car. The guesthouse has only one interior public area, with a dining room table. My room, with two single beds, was simple, small and with a stunning southern view of mountain peaks. You might feel restricted, though I did not, as I had plenty to read and the weather was good for all but one day, when I took an excursion to the grave site of the poet Rilke. Kerry and Peter are very personable. I looked forward to having breakfast with them daily.
For those who want to spend several days hiking, this is a very valuable guesthouse in an extraordinary setting.

Room Tip: Double room off the public area, great view and no noise from public area. Bathroom on lower level a...
Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PETER R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
portrush...n ire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

You see although you'll not be asked your occupation etc .. I think Kerry and Peter thought I was an insurance salesman.. now no disrespect to any such people but we had to put the matter right .. I am not .. but I am a minister.. or priest [if that helps you more] but a married one since I am a Presbyterian .. but that is enough of that .. well the truth is something I live by share and value above all... so the truth of the matter is that all the excellent reviews are true. True that is if you are a normal fun loving, food enjoying, people person. Though I dare say if you just want space to be on your own and have your time of peace there is no better place for that either.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
baden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is not a hotel. This is not a mountain hut. This is something better. This is the friendliest place you'll stay in Switzerland.

Take it from an expat who has lived in and written about Switzerland for six years: you will not get a warmer reception anywhere than at The Hayloft.

When people like their work, you can tell. And for Kerry and Peter, running a B&B isn't work. It's a labor of love.

My family was welcomed from the very start with a ride to The Hayloft from the train station. From the moment I saw the house, I thought, this is it--the ultimate in Swiss cliches--and it took a Swiss and a Brit to do it. Geraniums hang from every possible place. The house was restored using materials of the time period. And yes, there is chocolate on the pillows.

Thank goodness for Swiss cliches.

The beds are comfortable and the decor is tasteful. There is no traffic or streetlights, so you'll sleep wonderfully. But what's even better is that you become part of the family for your stay. I have never been to a B&B where the owners actually eat breakfast and dinner with you. All the guests became friends and the owners knew how to make everyone--from our 10 month old baby--to the retirees--feel at home.

The location is also fantastic--a short 10-15 minute walk from the train station, but far enough away to feel like it's just you and the waterfall.

Finally, this is Switzerland, so let's talk money. The Hayloft is possibly the most reasonable place I have ever stayed in Switzerland. And also one of the best. Funny how what you pay sometimes has nothing to do with what you get.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank onebigyodel
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Hayloft for two nights in July and had an incredible experience. Kerry, Peter, and James were wonderful hosts and some of the most interesting people we've ever met. They made us feel like family during our stay and provided us with delicious dinners each night. There was no shortage of laughter at the dinner table as they have great senses of humor and amazing stories. We also enjoyed their dog "Anchor" and their cat "Snorkel (Darth Snorkel)" They are very knowledgable about the area and were able to offer advice on where to hike. We would definitely like to return to Kandersteg someday and will stay nowhere other than the Hayloft. I really can't say enough. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you were to visit this area and stay anywhere else. Thanks Kerry, Peter, James for such an amazing time!...... Jon and Ami, Austin TX

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Three friends, motorcycling through Europe and seeking a sanctuary in the Swiss mountains to chill out in - well, we found it!! Peter, Kerry and James could not have made us more welcome - from the chilled beers the minute we arrived to waving us on our way a few days later. We enjoyed breakfasts around the table with all, swapped stories with a drink in hand by the hot tub overlooking the waterfall and had two fantastic meals including a brilliant BBQ with local wine, endless jokes and Kerry ( eventually ) showing her prowess with the Swiss Horn. Magical memories with fantastic hosts in a magical place! Thanks you for making it so special.......oh and please can we stay again?

Jerry, MC and sausage eating Pete x

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Peter and Kerry are outstanding hosts, and the property is beautiful. Waterfall view. They served us great meals. Don't miss the wood-fired hot tub. The Oeschinsee is unbelieveable. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Depends on how many people you have. The 2 bed room just off the kitchen is nice, and the 6 bed off...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We had two lovely days in Kandersteg and loved staying at The Hayloft. Kerry and Peter are souch great hosts and are very helpful with everything. We can recommend this to anyone whether you travel alone, with family or with friends.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family