All reviews comfortable room great fun stayed here train station warm welcome thomas winter meals balcony
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

Could not fault this welcoming hotel and would certainly recommend it. Our room was clean and spacious with a lovely view. Plenty of choice for breakfast and enjoyed delicious evening meals. The staff were genuinely friendly.
Thank you, we really enjoyed our short stay

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2017

On a hiking trip in the Kandersteg area, we stayed here several nights in September 2016. The hotel is a restaurant with rooms above and is a short gentle uphill walk, 5-10 min tops depending on your walking speed, from the train station. The owner met us as we entered the restaurant room which was empty at the time and as soon as I had introduced myself in Swiss German, was happy to see us and promptly escorted us up to the room. The balcony offered a view in three directions up hill all around. We ate at the restaurant-bar and the service and food were just fine. The stars at night were astoundingly beautiful as well. This is highly recommended for all the words in the title here.

Room Tip: Get a balcony
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2017 via mobile

I got confused between an hotel in Kardersteg and an hotel in Zurich! Yes, I paid for a hotel with the same name but 300 km away... stupid, but whatever this doesn't have any relation with the Zur post except that because of my brilliant confusion I didn't have a place to spend that night, so I went to the Zur post hotel and it was my salvation, thanks god they had an available room so I could rest that night, personally I like it, my room had church clock view/balcony and for me that was really cool, maybe the place is a little bit old and not luxury but not bad at all, the owner seems rude or angry at the first sight but once you talk to him he's a nice person and helpful, actually he gave me some tips and btw the breakfast was really good.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emmanuel I
Reviewed September 7, 2016

We stayed at Hotel zur Post during our trip hiking through the Alps. We arrived a little later than expected, but received a very warm welcome from Tom. Our room on the second floor had a wall of windows, and a balcony. We were on the church/clock tower side of the hotel - which others mentioned. But it wasn't a problem as the clock stopped chiming after 10pm and didn't start again until the next morning. We had dinner at the hotel, which was tasty and plentiful - our first salmon of the trip. Breakfast in the morning had lots of options - cheeses, fruit, yogurt, cereals, breads and eggs. Thanks to Tom and his staff for providing a welcoming and friendly stay in Kandersteg!

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2016

The hotel is only 116 years old this year.
We have room 21
Nice room, older decor, very light as it is a corner with two sets of windows plus a door out to a private balcony. The view up to the mountains is great, and the balcony is large enough for two chairs and a table. Room 31 also has a balcony, but it looks over at the church and it is not a corner room (with the two sets of windows like we have). A rain-hail storm hit in the afternoon one day and the wind blew the rain in under the short overhang on the balcony so we could not sit out during the rain.
Hair dryer on request from desk. Big key but can leave it on a hook when gone. One plug for charging things, located by door/light switch. Otherwise you have to unplug a lamp. Room is large and clean. Bed, two easy chairs and table, desk and chair,two night stands in room and still space. Toilet and shower in very small closet, shower has a curtain, not a door, so be careful during showers. Soap dispenser in shower. Sink is in the room, actually a nice little set up.
Other rooms share bathrooms in the hall, there may be a couple other rooms with en-suite bathrooms. There is a shared TV lounge with book exchange and comfortable seating. We did not watch TV. but it was never noisy there to bother us. We slept with the windows open and it was very quiet at night.
We had dinner one night at the cafe below, for CHF22 each, and as others have stated it was very good. Three courses, we were full, it was a good meal.
I noticed there is a huge lack of photos of the rooms on their web site and on TripAdvisor, so I hope my photos will help a little.
Breakfast is good, all you can drink coffee, juice, 3 minute egg on request, meats, cheese, bread, yogurt, fruit, granola - buffet style. Very friendly and helpful staff. Central location in “downtown” Kandersteg, right by all the stores, about two minutes from the grocery and five minutes from the train station.
They offered to take our luggage to train but we just have two small carry-ons so said no thanks. But the offer was nice.
To walk to the hotel, exit the train station. Look straight up the road at the church steeple and two big buildings. Walk up that street. The hotel is to the right of the church (as you face it).
If you are walking over the Gemmi Pass from Leukerbad, as we did, just walk into town. Stay on the main street and it will take you right to the church.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple