“UGLY ELECTRICAL TOWERS AND LINES HAVE DESTROYED THE VIEW!”
Review of Gemmi Pass

Gemmi Pass
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was last here as a kid in 1976. I looked at these old 1976 photos in our album before returning in July 2013. I was shocked to see that they added HUGE electrical towers and power lines all over at the top that have completely destroyed the once spectacular view (Unfortunately I didn't take more photos of the ruined view to post here). I can't believe that someone approved this HORRIFIC electrical tower/lines all over project. I don't understand why they couldn't move these towers over a few miles or something to preserve the view. I really wanted to give this 1 star because of the horrible, ugly, power towers but the ride up was very beautiful. Looks like there was once a nice hotel at the top that is boarded up and looks bad. Also- we walked to the Gemmi tram from our hotel in Leukerbad (next to the big pool warmed by the geyser) and the tram was VERY difficult to find-we just tried to judge where the base station was by looking for the bottom of the tram lines. The town needs to add several signs directing you to the Gemmi Tram! It was a long walk in the heat, and you have to walk up quite a way to get there.

There are newer reviews for Gemmi Pass

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Long but so worth it for the views. Wonderful hotel en route and very friendly. Views of the lakes are incredible.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great hiking up here but too snowy to be fun this month. I'd suggest waiting until July. Heavy spring snows has made for mushy conditions...beautiful!

1  Thank BBos23
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We made a 8,5 km trek called Schneeschuhtrail Panoramaroute. Recommended for the lovers of mountains, snow and taking pics. Not very hard trail, but the marking of the route can be quite confusing sometimes. Take also a map with you before you start the trail ;)

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Well maintained paths, but a lot of inclines to traverse on the way from the cable car at Kandersteg up to the end of the pass. Excellent restuarant at the top of the pass, where there's another cable car from the valley below (this is into the next Canton). The walk back to the cable-car is much easier, being a downhill slope.