All reviews outdoor pool spa area design hotel panoramic view south facing steam room ski resort small gym winter garden swiss alps ski room spa treatments hotel bar junior suite every evening great spa amazing hotel
Reviewed April 4, 2010

This design hotel has appealing features (open fireplace in the lobby, terrace with great mountain views, loungy winter garden with great views, pool room, comfortable rooms and fantastic beds ...) but a few disappointing sides to it: the food is average, the staff are partly unfriendly or at best inexperienced/lacking knowledge of what is on offer and most of all don't go there if you want peace and quiet. Over Easter week-end the hotel was packed, the lobby bustling at apres-ski time like at a yard-sale, loud children running around shouting (including at 7am in the morning), the pool always busy (the hotel advertises that the pool is reserved for children from 10am - 5pm, which leaves little time for adults who enjoy a relaxing atmosphere). The outside pool which is advertised so much in the pictures of the hotel is actually very small and right outside the dining area.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C_and_MH
Reviewed March 24, 2010

Having stayed at the Cambrian a few years back, having lived in Switzerland for a number of years and regularly staying at high end hotels I feel able to give a balanced, honest view of the worst hotel I have stayed in since a £3 a night student hostel.

Experience of this hotel starts poorly when you arrive and find that you are required to park in the local supermarket down the road as the hotel itself has insufficient parking. That is if in fact they even have space there, if not, as happened to us one evening, you will be parking in the public car park along the main road.

Having eaten in the hotel the first night, we chose not to repeat the experience as the food is distinctive in its average-ness. The chef is clearly attempting to cook “high end”, but his talent is sadly eclipsed by his ambition. Adelboden has some fine simple restaurants offering well prepared local dishes, which offer a far more atmosphere and competent cuisine. It was also the first occasion, although not the last, where we experienced other guests disappointment, as was made quite obvious by the heated conversation occurring with a member of staff across from our table.

Friday evening, was clearly “party night”, which meant that for some reason, the otherwise slow but pleasant bar turns into a “nightclub” with a DJ. Although not unusual in many hotels, and at age 34 I am not beyond enjoying this, it is a very different matter when you can identify the name of the song over the television in your bedroom. When this was still going on at 1am I went down to speak with the Night Manager. His response would have been laughable were it not so insulting, that being to offer me ear plugs!! He attempted to turn the volume down, but appeared to have little authority over the Bar Manager who seemed to be dancing to a tune of his own. I was assured however that this would be a one off, and the General Manager sent a note to assure me of this the next day, which typically side stepping, avoided him addressing me in person which would have been the professional response.

The next evening however was much more relaxed, until around 11pm, when all previous assurances that this was a “one off” dissolved with as little effort as had been put into rectifying the problems in the first place, the music started again. Having once more gotten redressed and headed down to speak with the Night Manager, although apologetic he appeared once again completely powerless to remedy the situation. He offered me a change of room, and thus at midnight we were forced to move what we needed for the night to an alternative room , which as this was only one floor above, was not without disturbance. To add to the insanity come the next morning when I needed to access my belongings in the original room, my room key had been disabled so once I again I trekked down to the reception. This continued several times, including trying to access the car park.

When I finally got to speak with the General Manager after the second occasion, his main defence was that one persons discomfort “can’t be held against the enjoyment of the many who were having a “good time” in the bar”. He followed up that on the second occasion there was no DJ, and the noise was caused by guests “taking over the music when the Bar Manager had gone downstairs” !!! As I explained this is not what should be expected from a hotel which markets itself in such away. Overall this was just indicative that there was / is very weak management at this hotel, with neither the Night Manager nor General Manager seemingly being able to control the staff or guests.

To add insult to injury, the Manager offered to remove that nights accommodation from the bill, however when we checked out it was the first and thus cheapest night we had stayed that was removed. Just another example of what a poorly executed hotel this has become. Finally, what can only be an ironic joke, each of the rooms has a book on the side table of “amusing” hotel stories. I can only assume from my experience that this is what the hotel uses this as their handbook. Switzerland has many fine mountain hotels; don’t make the mistake of booking this one, unless you are looking for Fawlty Towers en Suisse… and I can assure you, The Cambrian is a joke that quickly grows old.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
12  Thank TRA1929
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Great views! By far one of the best experiences we have had in Switzerland. Great spa, close to skiing, great food, accessible to cafes and bars.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2010

I would only really echo what the previous reviewer said - a lot of children at the hotel, only one lift working, housekeeping very hit and miss on cleaning the rooms, bar food very disappointing and expensive, and sometimes service very slow. Location poor for the slopes (as is the whole village), and although the hotel does provide a mini-bus service to the main lifts, this is something you have to push for as they dont make it generally available.

The public areas are lovely, the rooms on the front of the hotel have beautiful views, the bedrooms are quite small and very expensive, and have nowhere to dry damp ski clothes. On a positive note, the spa is beautiful (although overrun with children sometimes) and some of the junior staff at the hotel offer an exceptional level of customer service.

I would only recommend this hotel to families who dont mind the long and difficult transfer from airport to resort.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We stayed at the Cambrian over Christmas and our overall impression and stay was a positive and enjoyable one. We stayed in a Cambrian Suite.
Rather than rhetoric though, the below is simply a list of pro's and a few con's;
Pro's;
The Cambrian Suite is suberb and comes with everything you would expect.
The public spaces are spacious and well appointed.
The attitude of the staff and management is first class.
The spa is modern, clean and relaxing
The ski and boot room is the best I have used, organised, clean and easily accessed
Cons:
There are a lot of (not all well behaved) children (we had to move rooms due to a consistently crying baby)
The bar service is very slow
Room service is hit and miss and on one occasion didn't turn up at all
The restaurant food is limited (we found the christmas eve meal pretentious but OK if you like foam on your soup, foam on your sorbet,foam on your main course...)
On arrival you will be asked for a credit card swipe (usual proceedure) and they will reserve the full amount of your expected bill to the card, this is OK if you are using a credit card. A word of warning though, if you are paying direct from your own bank account the reception staff have no idea how to telephone through for an authorisation code and we were made to feel that this was our problem that the card would not automatically authorise and some unecessary embarrassment was caused to us.

Adelbolden town itself is quiet with limited bars and choice of eating places. The ski area is extensive, but not as well marked as other resorts. There are lots of other winter sports on offer and well marked winter walking trails

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple