“Take in the surroundings and forget about the daily stress...”
Review of The Cambrian

The Cambrian
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Adelboden
Reviewed January 6, 2014

It's the second time we are staying at the Cambrian and we loved our stay both times. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, and the spa facilities are a dream come true after a busy day out in the surrounding nature. Everything about this place is impeccable. The one thing that keeps it from getting a five star rating is the restaurant and the service that comes with it. Both times we stayed here we had to wait more than 90 minutes for our food to arrive and while the restaurant atmosphere is cosy the prices and the quality of the food don't add up with the rest of the hotel. A word to the wise - if you want to make the Cambrian truly amazing the only thing that needs a bit of work is the restaurant staff (smile and make the guests feel welcome) and service as well as the food on offer.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mank0man
There are newer reviews for The Cambrian

Reviewed December 28, 2013

So it's a toss up between an Average and Very Good rating between my partner and I however we do agree on this; the hotel used a brilliant photographer to take the photos of the hotel on the website. The heated infinity pool is fantastic but is quite small and if you look up it has nice views however reality is that it looks over a car park.

We live in Switzerland and generally think the service is poor - this is not the case at The Cambrian. Aside from one person all of our encounters with the the team were positive and they were always ready to help.

It was a bit of a shame as we were here over Christmas and the hotel was FULL. Full of people, full of children and full of dogs. We expected the people but not the children running up and down our hallway or the dog(s) which would bark whenever it was taken outside of its room. Admittedly we had envisioned a relaxing holiday after a crazy pre-Christmas season so we booked the south facing room with SPA treatments and were a bit disappointed. Book your SPA treatments in advance if you are going at a busy time and if, upon arrival, they tell you a different time, please have them double check with the SPA....

The breakfast was fantastic and the team were always making sure each station was well stocked. I really appreciated that I could have a cappuccino in the morning without it being an additional charge to my room and that I didn't need to set an alarm to make it to breakfast as breakfast hours were very generous.

We aren't skiers and aren't sure that this would be the best place to be based for skiing but the hotel was lovely. We ate dinner here on Christmas Eve and had a fantastic 3 course dinner - the service was slow, at least 30 min between each course, but I think almost every room in the hotel had booked in so they were understandably busy. We weren't in a hurry so it wasn't a problem for us.

If you come at a busy time do realize that the amount of public space, winter garden, etc, is limited so if you want to spend time in these areas you do have to get there early. They also offer cake on the house with tea (7.50 chf for tea if I understood the German correctly) around 4 p.m. which was a nice touch.

We booked a south facing room and had beautiful views over the Alps - our room was a good size but was missing at least one piece of furniture and the dark wood seemed a bit dated. We also had a room a few floors above the pool so if we had the window open (the room was stuffy after the sun all afternoon) we could only hear the people in the pool or on the patio or the traffic.

While we enjoyed our time here I'm not sure we would stay here again, there were a lot of positives but for us it wasn't enough to justify the price.

P.S. The parking is limited so if you come by bus as we did, the depot is almost directly across the street from the hotel which was really convenient.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trvl09
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel in July and had such a wonderful, relaxing stay. The scenery is truly breathtaking and the area is very quaint/cute. It's a great are to go hiking if you're not going during the ski season.

The rooms were okay design was, nothing special, but they were very spacious. The food was okay as well. What the hotel really had going for it was a killer view. Adelboden is a very gorgeous place and we had a great time exploring it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2013

A really wonderful retreat & our third trip there. All staff were really helpful & trilingual, the building is modern yet cosy with log fires & a great ski room with heated boot holders.

The spa area & infinity pool are great & we ate at the restaurant on Xmas eve & Christmas Day which was fantastic.

Yes it's pricey but really worth it! The wifi, we were pleased to see was complementary but alas it does drop convection all too often.

We will return!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank griffmarsh
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The third and most challenging visit to this hotel this year. I say challenging, meaning challenging for them! They coped admirably with their handing of an English Stag Party, and people dressed as Penguins wandering around. We were respectable but still, for Switzerland such behaviour is normally frowned upon.

Excellent facilities as always and the infinity pool surrounded by deep snow, while the alpine sunset change the colours of a whole mountain range, is one of the best places in the world to be.

I will be back as indeed some of the other Stag party will be with their wives for a slightly more restrained visit.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms are on the north side overlooking the bus depot but the quality of the rooms more...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank TouristProtector
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I surprised my wife for her birthday with a weekend stay at the Cambrian. The hotel is in superb condition with lovely fireplaces, modern interior design, a great and clean spa and a good restaurants. All staff are eager to please and friendly. The hotel's manager, Ms. Nock is a fantastic host.

The rooms are modern, spacious and clean.

The hotel knew that it was my wife's birthday and they made her feel truly special by sending up chocolates, fruits and a greeting card during the day as well as giving us a dinner table, decorated with rose petals, romantic candles, and two complimentary glasses of champagne.

Let me emphasise that we both did not expect such superb treatment and the hotel and all its staff made sure to make us feel at home.

The rooms at the hotel as well as the corridors are in great shape. They are clean and kept tidy - many five star hotels would not match this.

The spa is modern, well kept and a real treat - lovely steam room, two swimming pools, lots of papers/books to read and attentive staff.

The restaurant offered superb cuisine on both nights. Breakfast was good, but I feel the selection could be enlarged. However, lovely local breads, jams and honey was on offer.

The tea time offer in the afternoon in the modern lounge overlooking the mountains with a selection of delicious Swiss (chestnut / hazelnut loafs) and British (lemon drizzle) cakes was a great treat.

The guests are all on the stylish, younger side, which was a welcome change to the stuffy atmosphere of many older 'grand' hotels and most spa hotels in Germany which are more frequented by men with moustaches....

I totally disagree with an earlier review criticising the hotel for being in the city centre. First of all, Adelboden is not a city, secondly the hotel is on a slope allowing all rooms facing the mountains and the valley to have undisturbed views of - you guessed it - the mountains!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Critical_Mind
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I discovered this hotel during a teambuilding at beginning of September.
At that time, I enjoyed the decorum made of modern art and design, the view on the mountains and the breakfast offering lots of choice with salty and sweety meals.
For this second stay, with my girlfriend, I wanted to test the restaurant.
I booked a junior suite giving on the South side with the mountains (during my 1st stay, I had a room on the North with the small village road). For the supplement, give you the benefit of the view on the mountains.
The hotel has got a spa, inside and outside pool. I did not test these features.
The fitness room proposes all the running devices you expect.

At 4pm, you can sit at the winter "garden" and enjoy some free cakes (drinks have to be paid).

For 15 euros a day, you get your car parked in the hotel garage.

As written above, we tested the restaurant and enjoyed the evening. Service was great (thanks Nicole for your kindness!). We tasted the yellowfin thuna with horse radish sorbet. Interesting mix of flavors.
Then my girlfriend took an entrecote Omaha (great grilled meat) and I enjoyed the egli filet (fish from Frutigen, town close to Adelboden where you can visit Tropical Museum).

We were tired after that long day, so we did not give a chance to the hotel bar where they offer long list of cocktails. Next time maybe!

In conclusion, a great hotel in this ski resort.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ghislain V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adelboden
LeCrans Hotel & Spa
#1 of 12 in Lenk im Simmental
Hotel Bristol
Hotel Bristol
#6 of 15 in Adelboden

Been to The Cambrian? Share your experiences!