“Great view, beautiful room!”
Review of The Cambrian

The Cambrian
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Adelboden
Monterrey, Mexico
“Great view, beautiful room!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We spend 3 days in the Cambrian for our honeymoon and all of them were awesome! Our room had a panoramic view to the mountains, unforgettable!
Breakfast and service was pretty good. The hotel is well located near a bus station (we traveled by train and bus), a tourist information office and a small supermarket.
The staff scheduled us a dinner (fondue at an igloo) and helped us a lot with all our questions and needs. They knew exactly how to treat us!

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony are the best!
1 Thank emmadelosangeles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Three wonderful days in Adelboden, unforgettable service at breakfast, excellent wellness area, room with astonishing view over the valley (we got a standard room, nothing fancy, but still a great choice)
Negatives: room service is weak, we had to wait till 4 pm to have beds made and new towels in the bathroom // you get free cakes in the hall at tea-time but no free tea, they ask you for 8 CHF for a tea pot // coffees and cappucinos could be improved (from the taste, consistency and colour I would say they don't come from an express machine)

1 Thank lullaby56
Reviewed March 15, 2013

A frustrating experience!
We already live in Switzerland and heard the views at Cambrian were fab. However I found the service dismal. The receptionist first said yes there was space at the spa. Then when I asked if I needed to book he said he would have to check if there was room, then he came back and said there was no room. Either there is room or there is not room. Service is more important than decor.

4 Thank SwissWahine
London
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I really enjoyed my birthday stay in the Cambrian. At first site i was a little disappointed that it was in the middel of the town and not isolated up a mountain side. However, once in the building with the fantastic views of the mountains I totally forgot all about this. Our room was large, clean and wonderful. The spa was just beautiful especially being in the outside pool/jacuzzi after night fell and laying by the indoor pool looking at the incredible mountain view in my dressing gown. Even enjoyed the naked sauna experience and relaxing afterwards in the relaxation room with an orange tea.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the dinner and breakfast buffet were wonderrful.

Ok, in terms of price, it isn't cheap but most spas aren't and having never been to another spa hotel in Switzerland I don't have anything to compare it too. I do know that I couldn't afford the facials or massages so i can't comment on those. But, all i can say, is that even without the facials and massages it was worth it from my perspective and I will be back.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

One of the first things you notice upon checking into The Cambrian is the youthful, fresh-faced staff. And as a fairly 'veteran' traveller, this actually worried me. I thought, "Kids...oy." But this impression was quickly dispelled when we asked for a late recommendation for dinner our first night [a Friday, no less], and our front desk attendant promptly called and finagle us a last-minute table for two at the bustling Alte Taverna. From that point forward, I embraced the relaxed, casual energy that the staff exuded and found myself relaxing all the more because of it.

As described by other reviewers, The Cambrian is a stylishly updated property with thoughtful interiors in both the common areas and sleeping rooms. When we return - which we definitely will - I will request a room overlooking the outdoor pool. This is not because the rooms facing the street are noisy. In fact, our street facing room was surprisingly quiet. But the views in the other rooms [some with balconies] should not be missed and the outdoor heated pool is really lovely to look at and to dip into.

Our room rate included breakfast, which was the perfect mix of continental, as well as warm offerings. The breads were delicious and the local cheese selection was a real treat. Perhaps best of all, though, is how thoughtful the servers were. Even the chef ambled out of the kitchen to engage several families with children and offer to make them special crepes. He was so sweet to the kids, pronouncing upon presentation of the crepe: "And here is a big crepe for a big boy." I think that this kind of warmth and kindness really make family holidays special for the kids and the parents alike. We didn't even have a kid with us, and we were really touched by it.

In addition to the great staff, in the afternoon, the hotel offers little confections to accompany your tea or coffee and we settled next to the modern fireplace and tucked into some lemon cake and latte machiatos after a long day skiing. It was a lovely way to round out the day before indulging in our massages.

Like other reviewers, we tried the spa and had a mixed experience. I was appreciative that they therapists put us in a couples room for our massages. My massage by the female therapist was really quite good. She was gentle but effective and I floated off the table. However, my husband was less that thrilled with his treatment, finding the pressure a bit extreme.

The only reasons I didn't give The Cambrian 5 stars were these:
- Wifi in the room loaded at a snail's pace. Although we were there to relax, not to work, this became an irritant.
- While the bed clothes were perfect, our mattresses were rather soft and we had a hard time getting comfortable.

Aside from these minor nits', this is a lovely hotel, perfectly situated and equipped for a ski weekend or a quiet get-away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the outdoor pool versus street-side.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

As one of the op spas in Switzerland it's really overrated. The spa is very pricey and the quality of the facial and manicure really disappointing. I could do a better job myself. Pity as the view and outdoor pool are amazing

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Cambrian is a design-hotel with stylish furniture and a unique atmosphere. The location of the hotel is in the centre of Adelboden (10m to the bus mainstation), the rooms are so lovely and staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The spa area offers one indoor pool and one outdoor whirlpool with a stunning view of the Alps, additionally a finish sauna and steam bath with recreational areas and free tea.

What I liked the most were the room, the overall friendliness, the lounge with romantic wood fire, the hotel bar with a nice selection of drinks and the location. Lastly, expect an outstanding breakfast! They offered various juices, delicious bread, eggs and bacon, great coffee etc. I never had a better breakfast in a hotel, and as a Swiss guy I'm used to high breakfast standards ;)

I can recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: 5th floor is at the top and very calm
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adelboden
Parkhotel Bellevue
#5 of 15 in Adelboden
Le Grand Bellevue
Le Grand Bellevue
#2 of 21 in Gstaad

Been to The Cambrian? Share your experiences!