“good time,”
Review of Waldhaus-Huldi

Waldhaus-Huldi
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Adelboden
Reviewed April 11, 2009

10 of us stayed in this hotel, 4 adults, and the rest teenagers. Staff were very kind and helpfull. Rooms were beautiful, with spectacular views especially room 16, and 24.
Food was just as good as a 4 star service, especially the cheese they serve, top class. The lounge area hasnt changed since 1984, no jokes.
The person who wrote that adelboden is a ghost town after 18.00 is clearly confused. Their's about 6 bars in the village of which about 4 of them are buzzing till about midnight. Remember though your going to a swiss town in the mountain, if you want to go clubbing go to ibiza.
Would stay again. ski area is fairly big, not the best ive been to, but not bad at all. My personal favourate would be flims, but the village isnt so nice their, compared to Adelboden ( typical beautiful swiss town)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank warrenrapley

Reviewed January 24, 2008

My husband, 8 yr old son and I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Waldhaus-Huldi Hotel. We had a double, corner room with connecting door through to a single for our son. Between us we had a total of 3 balconies, each with a spectacular view. Our bathroom was of generous proportions, warm and comfortable. The hotel is situated at the far-end of town, which does entail slightly longer walks to the gondola stations and restaurants, however, the quieter location made for a far more peaceful time. Hotel staff were extremely polite and helpful. Breakfast is buffet-style, ready and waiting, just the ticket for when you're raring to get on the slopes. And, upon your return, the newly finished Sauna/Steam Room puts you nicely back together again. Go on - pull the rope connected to the cold bucket of water!! Lucy & Mark

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank amazon10
Reviewed October 1, 2007

I spent a week here as part of an organised walking holiday. I had a single room in the block on the upper side of the road. The room was functional but very small with a tiny bathroom. The bathroom had no natural light and the decor made it feel even more claustrophobic in various shades of avocado and brown. The panoramic view from the room itself was a welome distraction from the room's short-comings. There's an open balcony along the front so, if your neighbours are enjoying apres-ski or a pre/post dinner drink, it can be very noisy.

The buffet breakfast offered great variety. Dinner was good though some of my walking companions were considerably more effusive in their praise of the food.

Service is the saving feature of the Waldhus not only from the family who own and take a very active, hands-on role in its running but also the restaurant and bar staff most of whom spoke very good English.

I appreciated the free internet access in the reception area. It was a popular feature but I got the chance to use it several times.

Parking is very limited. I'd read somewhere that there are 30 spaces whereas, with judicious and thoughtful use of the space, no more than 6 cars can be accommodated.

There's a very good drying room.

The hotel is convenient to the shopping area - within 5 minutes' easy walk.

• Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank Sunnydalegal
Reviewed July 23, 2007

We (couple of 50-somethings) arrived for a ski-ing holiday to find little snow in the valley. Nevertheless the hotel owners were extremely welcoming - they upgraded our room at no extra charge and provided advice about how to get the best deal on lift tickets for the poor snow conditions. The next day we woke to a winter wonderland...
Our room was simple and spotless (cool retro black and white bathroom) And the view!
Breakfast was plentiful and dinner was tasty and well cooked. I do agree with the reviewer who would have liked a more leisurely pace for this meal.
We loved the steam room and sauna at the end of a day on the slopes.
We enjoyed being in a hotel that has its individual character and is obviously managed with pride by its owners

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LMW45
Reviewed July 19, 2007

After spending 4 days in the 3* Hotel Europe Zermatt, wemoved to the 3* Hotel Waldhaus-Huldi Adelboden with great disappointment. [--]. We were placed in the Huldi, and on initial impression I was ready to get the train back to Zermat. After a good nights sleep however things did improve, marginally. What I have to say however is that the hotel was absolutely spotless, the staff were very helpful and the family owners could not do enough for you. The lounge bar was very outdated or maybe just typical Swiss German. It wasn't a bar in the true sense, and, it closed at 2200. The room I had was spacious as was the bathroom, I also had 2 balconies - beds VERY comfy. The hotel residents were either elderly or part of large walking groups. Can't really put my finger on what was wrong, but I would not return to this hotel. The food was not great, and the service was way too quick, 4 courses in the space of 40 minutes (compared to my previous hotel 3*, 1st class food, evening meal spread out over the evening if you so wished). The Huldi was a very old fashioned hotel, some people would love it, I did not.

The hotel is part of Minotel - Minotel features well cared for, family-owned and -managed hotels at a moderate price. This is the 2nd Minotel I have stayed in and my impression of both is the same. I shall choose more caregull in future.

Adelboden as a place was nice, great walks but the town itself was a ghost town after 1800, very few things to do apart from go to bed!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2007

We stayed here in March 2007 after booking our skiing holiday through Thomsons. The room was very nice and warm although the bathroom was very small, not a lot of room to put things, however the water was very hot and it was clean. The staff were excellent and so was the food and comfort. Nice lounge with open fire and newspapers (german) and plenty of games and books (english also). The sauna and steam room were very pleasant. Would definately return to this hotel.

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank ArthurCambridgeshire
Reviewed March 3, 2007

We stayed at the hotel for a week whilst skiing at Adelboden and found the hotel staff to be very friendly, welcoming and the standard of service was above the hotels rating.

It is a mid range hotel and the food and room size / facilities reflected that, but everything was done to make our stay an enjoyable one and when we return to Adelboden we'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple