“On the right path but still lacking...”

L'Hotel de la Prairie
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“On the right path but still lacking...”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Hotel has been taken over by Guignard who usually does a great job, but still many details to be improved.
The bathrooms have been redone but not the rooms, which need it. The shutter did not close, so before going out for dinner we told reception to deal with it. We arrived back at 1am and nothing had been done - no word from reception, no suggestion to change room. That is not 4* at all.
Staff charming but really lacking experience.
On the right path, but still needs some work

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I reserved a non smoker room and very calm through a web site.

I called 2 days before to go to be sure that the reserved room is calm. I informed the receptionist that is very important as I will have exams the days after. The receptionist answer was " do not worry our hotel is next to the forest...." .

What I received: a smoker room and next to the ventilators...very old room, no shampoo, nothing that you expect from a 4 star hotel in a bathroom.

If you would like to go to SPA there is no robe bath and no slipper... is on demand.

When I mentioned to the receptionist the problems they answer " We did not know that you had request a non smokier room and calm" and all this said in a way, I would said to be polite, no customer orientated and no worry for the image and word of mouth best way for the advert...

No sorry, no a symbolic discount for the bill, not a word from the manager after I left the customer satisfaction form. And you pay foe all this service very expensive. At least the breakfast and the restaurant is very nice and makes you forget the rest.

Room Tip: Check that you receive what you pay for.
1 Thank Cathy2011_11

Travelers are raving about these Yverdon-les-Bains hotels

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I spend a night at Hotel de la Prairie with my daughter (15) on a weekend in September. The place is very nice although we didn't had much time to enjoy all the facilities such as sauna, etc.
We had a room in the renovated part - which was nice, very quiet and a nice balcony. Although the bathroom is not very big this was ok for the night we spent there. The only thing is that for the price of the room, they could provide a few body creme or conditioner or so.

We had a nice dinner on the terrace- very peaceful.
There was a nice buffet for breakfast with home made marmelade, bread ans pastries. We enjoyed it very much.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Very nice setting, rooms a bit old fashioned... First feel is that it's not really 4 star quality. Second impression is that it is definitely not 4 star quality!
I was given a smokers room. When i returned to reception asking to change i was told off: i should have specified i wanted a non smoker room. The second room i was given was supposedly non smoker, but even after several hours of airing the smell came back and i spent the worst night ever. I was told by the night receptionist i wouldn t be charged for the second night i had originally booked if i checked out in the morning. But when i did, the day staff absolutely wanted to charge me and was the very opposite of customer friendly.
I shall never stay there again and don t recommend this hotel to a non smoker ( apparently the hotel became non smoker two years ago - the first floor now is still smoker, but the floors above officially shouldn t be)
As far as the restaurant goes though, i would return. The food was excellent and the staff friendly. There is a nice terrasse outside too.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a non smoker room - however as a non smoker i would never ever take the risk of s...
1 Thank Switzgirl
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Stayed here on business for two nights. For me, the staff were helpful, friendly, and attentive to my needs.

The FREE and consistently good WiFi signal eroded the aging look of the bedroom and bathroom décor. True, these need updating, but I did get a decent night sleep and enjoyed how you could blackout the room with the shutter. I didn't use the TV and opted for copious net surfing and Facebooking instead.

The room was clean and felt fresh. Also, it took me a while to realise that the key must be horizontal to remove it from the door lock. I ended up leaving it in there the first night, as I was not bothered.

We enjoyed a delicious and freshly prepared meal in the main diner the first night. I can highly recommend the beef Chateaubriand. Please order the Chanterelle mushroom sauce to accompany the beef! I did not dine on the second night, but understand the service grew less efficient with more table bookings.

The breakfast is continental with simple pastries, yoghurt, meats, fruits, and cheeses. This was acceptable to us, since our typical meals included gluttonous lunches and dinners. I could see the need for a bit more selection, or at least one hearty selection.

I understand the spa closes at 9 pm. If you’re on business and arrive later in the afternoon/early evening notify the front desk; it will take about 30 minutes to ready the spa facilities.

The train station is an easy, and nearly direct 10-minute walk from the hotel. If arriving late (after midnight) at the station, you can take a taxi, but may cost 12 CHF!! (Maybe I was ripped off?)

NYC
Reviewed October 12, 2010

So this was a lovely place, unfortunately I have no photos. I'm surprised that there are so few reviews and that one of them is so negative. We were not a floor above 6, so maybe we made out compared to that other review. But the setting is this really green, serene, expanse and when you pull into the driveway you really feel like you have arrived somewhere. The room was charming, warm and quite spacious. The bathroom was also really nicely appointed and the tub was huge! Equally nice for long baths or for a shower.

The hotel apparently has free spa facilities which I wish I'd used, rather than going to the Yverdon natural springs. I guess if you're there you have to go, but when we went the therapeutic baths were not open, just the swimming pools, indoor and outdoor, each with a section of jets on. Whatever, both the swimming pools and hot tubs seemed to a waterborne sex party for local couples.

Anyway, back to the hotel. The staff were great (including one of the head guys at the French brasserie restaurant) and Julien at reception was a cutie. They were also very accommodating with our bikes, including trying to fix a flat tire dead in the middle of the entryway, taking up the whole space. The only strike would be housekeeping, who came to the room to look for a missing item--they entered without saying a word, looked for it, and left also without a word. But I'm sure they are not representative of the rest of the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We stayed 1 night at the La Prairie at the end of our holidays in Switzerland. Our bedroom was on the last floor and not exactly what we were waiting for for a 4*. The bathroom was extremely dated, the bed far too soft, and we were woken up early in the morning by the lawn mower.
We had dinner at the Brasserie, the food was very good, but the service deteriorated as the evening went on and the restaurant got busier. We had to wave at several waiters to get our dessert and then the bill.
All in All disappointing vs the price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yverdon-les-Bains
Grand Hotel & Centre Thermal
Park Inn by Radisson Lully
Hotel Bellevue-Onnens
Hotel Bellevue-Onnens
#1 of 1 in Onnens

Been to L'Hotel de la Prairie? Share your experiences!