“Superb fine food in very cosy classy decor at reasonable price. Superb view of lake and Alps near Luzern”
Review of Hotel Friedheim

Hotel Friedheim
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Weggis
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We live in Weggis and just discovered this restaurant with local friends. HIgh gastronomy "buergerliches Kochen" style in nicely decorated modern chalet style. Beautiful location with very nice view of lake and Alps near Luzern in one of Switzerland's very prettiest locations.
Very nice rooms. Ask for two stories suites in main building.

Room Tip: Two story suites in main building. You must reserve in advance.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Friedheim

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We wound up staying here for 3 nights about 2 weeks ago. To address the comments about the construction, that is all finished. To address the "hike" to the hotel, yes I would agree. If you are walking, it is a decent 10-15min hike up a hill. There is some Lido Weggis van that goes up there every few hours. If interested I would ask the hotel before you arrived. The hotel room has low ceilings like stated earlier but what they failed to mention is this is what I would consider a historic hotel. They have photos going back to at least 1929 with the build of the hotel looking exactly the same. I'm assuming back then, either people were shorter or they built the ceilings lower. I was prepared for this after viewing the photos. We did pay extra for a balcony room with a lake view and we loved it. The view is fantastic. Any where I have traveled, you always pay more for a room with a view, whether Hawaii, NY, or here in Switzerland. If you have the extra cash, the newly built portion of the hotel looks incredible. The restaurant at that part was excellent. In all honesty, I think it was our frame of mind that led us to love the hotel so much. We had been traveling from city to city, and when we arrived in Lucerne we were staying at the Renaissance but I couldn't take another city anymore. We stayed there for a few nights while we planned our escape to the hills. This hotel is perfectly situated away from town, slightly up the hill which provides it with beautiful views. Behind the hotel, are many farms and walking paths to wander. A 10 min walk down in to town and you can enjoy the Lido swimming club (complimentary if staying at this hotel) right on the lake. You can also enjoy the tram or gondola up to Mt Riji although we opted to just relax. I thought the breakfast was fine. They had a cold platter of meats and cheese, fresh breads and jams, pastries, juices, water, tea, etc. You can get a "free" soft boiled egg or pay a few more dollars for another preparation. I thought I would save a few bucks and go into town to eat. I ending up spending $14 on a ham and cheese sandwich when for $18 I could have had bolognese at the restaurant hotel (which we wound up doing the next night). In fact, we ate every meal at the hotel restaurant because the prices were similar in town minus the views. Although in town you are sitting right on the lake. They do have a menu where they can make you sandwiches if you go for a hike and if you ask politely, I'm sure they will make you one anytime, just don't expect to sit in the restaurant and eat it. The one minor complaint, since it is a family run hotel, the owners are quite busy. There usually was not a person sitting at the front desk, but it was not a problem. Anyone of the staff are eager to help you or find the correct personnel who can. I know the review was long, so I apologize but I feel the hotel was not getting a balanced review. I was so weary of staying there, and wound up loving it. One just needs to set there frame of mind. In my opinion with tripadvisor, 4 or 5 star doesn't mean it is 4 or 5 star accommodations, just that overall they would recommend or highly recommend the stay. If you have the funds, stay at the Park Hotel and live like a king, but if not, and you want to get away for a bit, this could be the place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stiks47
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed 4 nights but it is not that great as mentioned in some of the reviews. Only good things were the service and staff friendliness.
The room we got was very basic and simple. Not worth for the money we paid. Breakfast offered very limited options, as the reviews praise could not find special.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Our group of 4 found the Hotel Friedheim to be comfortable and the staff very friendly and welcoming. We enjoyed 3 breakfasts and one dinner there as well, all excellent. The view from the hillside location of Lake Lucerne was wonderful. The hotel's location is a bit of a hike from the center of town, and up a hill. It took us about 15 minutes walking and we did it many times over our 3 night stay. There is a daytime town shuttle available as well as the hotel's offer to pick you up at the boat docks which we did not take advantage of. Weggis is a very pleasant town with a good location for access to Mt. Rigi and boats to Lucerne. Upon arrival we were greeted by the owner who immediately directed us to the wonderful swimming beach nearby (about a 10 minute walk). It was much appreciated after a long, hot travel day. Yes, there is new construction next to the original hotel currently but it did not affect us- no noise or interferences as we were out exploring during the day. The surrrounding residential neighborhood is quiet and upscale. Rooms are small but clean, bright and comfortable. Ours had a nice balcony. Recommended for all but those who may find walking the hill up from town to be a challenge (Not a problem for active people or those with cars).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This hotel was suggested to us by Swiss friends who had unfortunately not actually visted themselves first. The hotel website craftily fails to mention that far from being innocently 'just above the village' it is in the midst of a housing estate and that lake views are indeed to be had (at increased prices) - right over the car park. Neither do they bother to mention that they are currently creating a new block and that there is a building site 20 yards from the hotel which gets going at 7 am. The 'superior' room had a bathroom door that did not fit and a claustrophobically low ceiling. Dull and boring inside. I dare say the food is great, but we got as far away as possible as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Very expensive for what you get and check out the location if you think you are getting a rural sett...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank FlightyFeline
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I can't tell you what it's like to stay in this hotel. Though we tried hard. We made our reservation 5 months in advance. It was for 1 night only. The reservation letter (sent as a pdf) clearly said room with lake and mountain view. Why else would you decide to stay near Lake Lucerne?
When we turned up today we were shown a room to the side of the hotel with a view of the building site where they are building their extension. No lake. No mountain. We pointed out that their reservation letter said lake and mountain view. The lady went off but came back with the news that she couldn't change it. I pointed out that they had already changed it froim what was said in the reservation. Water off a duck's back, she clearly didn't care two hoots. We left, found a hotel with a wonderful lake view - more expensive, so thanks Hotel Friedheim, for nothing!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RedHeadPeter
Reviewed September 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed there for 1 night and loved every second of it. The rooms are very plain and so are the beds and the bathroom. However, their restaurant, the owers and the views are wonderful!!!! Highly recommend this place!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weggis
Hotel Alpenblick
#6 of 16 in Weggis
Hotel Villa Honegg
Hotel Villa Honegg
#1 of 1 in Ennetbuergen

Been to Hotel Friedheim? Share your experiences!