“Very nice holiday, out of expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Med Villars sur Ollon

Club Med Villars sur Ollon
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice holiday, out of expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Must say that Karina of front desk was very helpful and friendly, personal touches of their staff is a big bonus in regards to customers services. Titi who is actually a mini clubmed teacher, helped me (literally) lend me her arm to ascot me down the slippery snowy steps to the boot room on my first hour at this resort. She patiently waited for me, and bought me back to the safety of solid ground. My private instructor Michael Dieffenbecher whom I met on my first hour at the boot room offered excellent techniques for skiing, I have never skied before; and could manage to ski on my own on my 4th day on the bigger higher slope. Very happy and impressed with their staff. Big thanks to Gian Luca at the ski-boot room who fitted me with another pair of better fitting boot. Made a huge difference to my experience. Food was out of expectation = good. I liked the vast verity of vegetables and starch combination. The downside is that the staff at the shop wasn't helpful enough perhaps because of insufficient English spoken.
Bedrooms were dimly lit, very very dim.
Not enough lighting!!! Bathroom feels like school dorm.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for south facing rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Toulon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Excellent relaxing week spent in family with 1 small kid. 1 Baby club with nice staff, full access to all kind of services including ski pass, pool, spa, .. All organized with a nice and charming team, always smiling and available for customers.

Really a "must go" place in winter times.

One regret, not so much snow but we can't blame the staff for that...

Sebastien

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sebastien P
Bawtry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Having paid a lot and heard about the 'great' Club Med standards we were disappointed with our first experience. All 'branded' drinks were charged extra (a LOT extra!) and the wine was very average by French standards. The quality of staff was inconsistent: some were brilliant and some were very poor. As we were the only English guests in the hotel during our stay we felt a little alienated. The lady running the 'Petit Club Med' was awful and we moved our 3 year old into a different section after only 2 days. Having to catch the train every morning and every afternoon laden with ski gear was painful and there were no manners, respect for queues etc. anywhere that we went. Ski school was good but be careful if your kids only speak English as they may feel alienated. Hotel was a bit old and rough around the edges. Rooms were inconsistent: our family room was considerably larger than our friends family room for exactly the same price. Overall we found the experience over-priced, very French focused, badly organised (no wine on our table on New Years Eve!) and some staff to be downright badly mannered. Won't be going back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank AndySING73
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We enjoyed our second trip to Club Med in Villars for a great week of skiing. First of all, the club certainly is nowhere nearly as bad as some of the reviews seem to suggest. The club is in an ancient palace, so the interior breaths that history. The rooms are therefore perhaps a bit small, nog double glazing etc. but the comfort level is up to par. The view was good and even better from the terrace. The food is of very good quality, with plenty of choice and varying themes. We had one time raclette in the specialty restaurant as well which I recommend. It was really a nice experience. All the staff were great, always, and made us all feel very welcome. Overall, the location of the club is great, 100m from the train that will take you into the mountains.

The ski lessons are always very good with great instructors and a good restaurant just off the slope where you have lunch each day. Make sure that the rent of all the equipment is included in your package otherwise you will end-up paying a whole lot more. The equipment is from this season by the way.
Still, overall a good club in a great small Swiss village with many kilometers of slopes to choose from.

Room Tip: Book a room on the higher floors at the frontside of the hotel for a nice view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ivo-Knottnerus
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Overall hotel is nice and clean but not as we are used to on Club Med.
Overcharged for parking, 142CHF for 4 days...
Snowboard lessons were given on the last 2 days to only half of the group which was a little more advanced.
We (who were neglected), had to take few hours of private lesson on outrageous rate.
Food is o.k , nothing special

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank YuviDov
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been skiing all my life but never been on an all inclusive deal. I was told about club med by a friend so decided to give it a go and managed to get a last minute deal to the Swiss resort of Villars Sur Oll.

On arrival you are met by a large 1920's imposing building with huge reception area. My check in was swift and easy and the intricacies of the club med venue were fully explained. My bags were taken to my room whilst I went and availed myself of the bar.

My room was adequate in size. It had a balcony which had a beautiful view looking onto the 'Dent du midi' mountains. However it was quite basic with no tea or coffee making facilities in there. Now I know you could argue that as all inclusive there is plenty downstairs all the time, but I like to wake up and have a brew in my room first thing. Also the lighting was very poor and even in the day you needed the 3 very inadequate lights on. The bathroom was neat and tidy but only had a shower. After a hard days skiing the 1 thing I need is a bath so I was disappointed by this.

Food throughout the stay was just superb in my opinion. The quality and presentation were excellent and there was plenty to go around. This was a true for lunch on the slopes as it was for the hotel.

There was a pool, steam room, sauna and relaxation area which was very well appointed and as I had no bath I used each night to try and ease my aching limbs.

Tuition was included in the price if you wanted to use it. I did and found myself in a group led by our Swiss ski school instructor, Silvio. He was amazing and we skied hard every day. The tuition was for the whole day each day and I have to say the quality was excellent and would have cost a fortune with any other holiday company who only normally provide half day tuition in their ski packages. The ski area of Villars is quite extensive and I really enjoyed it. It's a very pretty area and has slopes for all abilities. Whist there we had about 60cm of snow in the 1st 2 days and the off piste was excellent.

Negatives..... Well I was the only Brit at the hotel which made it a bit lonely. Great skiing with the group in the day but then everyone heads back to their families. Entertainment in the night was aimed at French/Swiss and so felt a bit left out. If I'd thought it would about it when booking I'd have checked to see if there were going to be other brits there. Watching some of the entertainment was a bit like going back to the 80's and watching Eurotrash. A very different culture. However the whole feel of the hotel was one of friendliness and family atmosphere which was great.

The hotel itself is in need of a bit of a revamp. The colour scheme is quite dark and could do with being lightened up. You can see the wear and tear in the communal areas and rooms. However this is only superficial.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and I could not fault them. If you have kids then this is the way to go on a skiing holiday with them.

All in all it was a great holiday and will definitely go skiing with club med again. I will just make sure that there are some other Brits going to be at the hotel. Thoroughly recommended though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Paul R
France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed for a week over the Xmas period with our three children (3, 5 and 10) and had a great time.

Good points:
- Club Med staff was professional and super friendly especially with our children. They went out of their way to ensure we had a good holiday
- Fun activities for the kids relating to Xmas
- Fresh and varied food (not the best buffet I have seen in Club Med but good enough)
- Nice restaurant (with local food and waiters) which you can book the day before
- Fantastic ski slopes. Taking the train to the slopes was more fun than an inconvenience

Negative points:
- Very dark rooms. The lighting is so poor you will find it difficult to read a book!
- Very cold swimming pool which is a shame as it is sold as part of the package and my kids were very disappointed
- Bar area way too small
- As usual, Club Med's timing is a bit late (evening meals starting at 7:30 pm, shows at 21H15 ... a bit late for kids especially if they are then meant to get up the next day early to hit the slopes at 8H30!)

Overall, I want to thank the staff who is great and made our choice of village worth. We might go back to Villars or try another ski village.

I must say that the village is very clean. We saw cleaners busy at work every day and the staff regularly cleaning their hands with anti-bacterial gel (readily available in the restaurant, mini clubs and toilets). On the other hand, some of the guests never use the gel ... so they only have themselves to blame is they get a stomach bug!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank toubna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villars-sur-Ollon
Chalet RoyAlp Hotel & Spa
Hotel Le Grand Chalet
Residence Panorama Villars
Residence Panorama Villars
#6 of 8 in Villars-sur-Ollon

Been to Club Med Villars sur Ollon? Share your experiences!