“Good but expensive”

Chalet RoyAlp Hotel & Spa
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Good but expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Spent one night for business. The room was luxurous but the price as well! and for that price I expect the TV to work which was not the case neither in the living room nor in the sleeping room, as well in the room of another colleague.
The hotel is quite new and well located but I prefer more family-atmosphere!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

After spending hours trying to choose the perfect location for my husband, myself and our 18-month old son, we chose Villars-Sur-Ollon in French speaking Switzerland. The village was not too far by train from Paris and offered beautiful accommodation options. This hotel has absolutely everything you want for a snow holiday. The train up the mountain is right outside the front door, the service is first class, the food is BRILLIANT, the facilities are brand new and high quality. There is a great playroom inside the hotel and down the road a little is 'les trotinettes' where our son spend much of his time (and loved it). The shuttle bus will take you there and back. I really need to emphaise how wonderful the dining was here. We took a half-board option and were dazzled each night by the quality of the food. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelbug2343
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

It's easy to like the Chalet Royalp.

It offers stunning scenery, well appointed suites, and an overall quality of fine service that is typical of what one would expect from a Leading Hotel of the World, particularly one that demands premium prices.

To start, the reception staff was helpful and courteous. NO problems on check-in, and the front desk manager personally gave us a tour of the property as it was our first visit. Concierge requests (both before our stay and during), were handled professionally and easily.

Our suite was large, and had a beautiful view. In fact, that is true of pretty much every sight line in the Royalp. HINT: if you see a window, look out. You are bound to see something that is postcard perfect. The bath in our suite was as big as most standard rooms at the Ritz in Paris.

The food is very good, and the service crisp. We tried all of the restaurants, including room service, and each meal was well prepared. We had 5 days without a hitch. (The selections from the children's menu are excellent, as well). The best, however, was the fondue in the Grizzly. There are 2 seatings only, so reservations are a must!

Breakfast buffet is well done, and has a pleasing variety of hot and cold dishes.

The hotel bar menu has a collection of interesting libations, and the wine list was extensive and imaginative. Some good choices abound on the list between 70-100 CHF, and obviously, there are other selections of note at higher price points.

Housekeeping was on form throughout the stay, although they did miss turn-down one evening but that was our fault for accidentally leaving the "do not disturb" on the door.

There is a ski locker in the hotel, and walking out through the garage, one reaches the designated stop for the ski train. Returning to the hotel is by train, or by the run down from Bretaye that intersects with the lower sledding area. It is a beautiful vista, and only a bit of flats interrupt this easy 10 minute jaunt back to the front door of the Royalp. In effect, the hotel is "ski-in" but less "ski-out." No matter. There is no place more convenient in Villars to stay, if one wishes to be on the ski train to Bretaye.

It's no more than a 10-15 minute walk into town, but we chose to drive the 3 minutes in our own car. The hotel also has an on demand shuttle both ways, so a stroll in Villars or dinner out is easy, and the hotel is eager to accommodate at the guest's convenience.

There is a kids' playroom, staffed during afternoon hours, and open most of the day. Separate is a games room for older children, with a foosball table and a playstation. Overall, I found the hotel to be "kid-friendly," and would not hesitate to return with my children.

Negatives?

A couple. The price to value ratio is tipping perilously close to the edge of the cliff, as it were. Even for Switzerland, and notwithstanding the quality and luxury of the hotel, I found the pricing to be rather high. Would it keep me from going back? Not at all, but it did strike me as though the pricing was likely set for a clientele that "didn't know any better."

Which brings me to my next negative, and it is unfortunate, but there are a certain band of "hoi polloi" at the Royalp that seem to define what it means to be the "northern end of the southbound horse." They don't even realize they are "N.O.K.D." and I suppose one should ignore it. But it would be better for all concerned if this band of merry folks would learn tact and refinement. It would be more in line with the ambiance of the hotel, and make everyone's stay just that much more enjoyable.

All in all, would I return to the Royalp? Absolutely!! This is an elegant and top quality hotel in a great (family friendly) Swiss resort. All of the negatives are easily overlooked, and In fact, my next trip is already booked. :)

3 Thank RW-GV
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

we've been here with a couple of friends and the stay was really pleasent and personal most kind...the structure is very recent....very well placed too restaurant are excellent even for a Clubsandwhich .....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was our first visit to this hotel, but we will most probably not return despite our "very good" rating.
The hotel is indeed very nice : gorgeous rooms and bathroom, great decoration throughout the hotel, etc. It is however "isolated" and one can not just take his coat and go to the shop or bar next door.
Again, the hotel is very nice but it suffers from 2 main factors:
- Villars-sur-Ollon itself is nothing special at all at the first sight;
- the ski resort is relatively small and ski lifts outdated. Long time in the lifts compared to time on the skis.
In addition, we were lucky that it snowed shortly before we went : the hotel is quite low and so is the resort (or at least main part of it).
We did not try by ourselves the pool and spa, but some of our friends tried the pool and said the water was (too) cold.
On the contrary, bedrooms are really over heated : this is not the first time we experience this in Switzerland. We felt bad leaving the windows open in plain winter... and we were not the only ones. This explains the rating we give to "sleep quality", as otherwise, we would rate it "excellent".
Certainly an excellent hotel in Villars.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ptitmousse
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

The accommodation is very good, the reception is disorganised with no attention to detail, We asked for somebody to collect our luggage and they did not turn up,we also requested to be taken to the station at 9am so we could catch the train for our flight, again the reception failed us, we asked for two sets of keys as we had 5 adults staying in the room to be told on the first day this would be arranged by the third day they said they did not have a spare set of Keys.
The problem really was that nobody seemed to be in charge.

On the plus side the Food in the main restaurant was good and the Spa was fantastic, its very expensive but its just not 5 star service.

1 Thank ivan047
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We have stayed at the hotel a number of times since it opened and it has been like a ghost hotel on every occasion - just the odd fellow guest to be seen from time to time. The beauty of the place has not diminished in all that time - its remains probably the most gorgeous skiing hotel I have ever stayed in in terms of decor (A+), size of rooms (A+), facilities in the rooms like storage, separate loo, separate shower etc etc (A+). The spa facilities, in terms of things you don't need to pay extra for, are also first class and beautiful. In fact, in terms of facilities, the only thing that I did not find satisfactory was the temperature in the bedrooms. We were far too hot, even with the balcony door fully open all night. We were supplied with fans because, we were told, the hotel is heated from one central point and it isn't possible to control the temperature of individual rooms. This seems completely daft to me - it must mean they are heating rooms to oven temperatures even when there in no guest staying there. And why hasn't it got air conditioning? It gets very hot in Villars in the summer.

It is also by far the most expensive skiing hotel I have ever stayed in (and I include the Badrutts Palace in St Moritz, in that!). I actually think they have lost the plot over prices (which must mean that I have too - until now ...).

The problem is that, just as the decor has not changed since it opened, neither has the standard of service. At the beginning, we put the amateurish "service" down to the fact that the hotel was brand new and all the staff were new. There is no excuse for it 5 or 6 years later!

I cannot give any positive comments about service whatsoever.

The shuttle which is supposed to be available on demand was working at 1/2 capacity (even though I was assured that the hotel was full and this was why we could not keep 1 of our rooms for an extra couple of hours). My teenage daughters waited 40 minutes for the shuttle to take them to a restaurant in the village, where we were waiting for them and even then the driver took them on a circuitous route to drop off 2 other teenage children of another guest to the local International School where they are pupils and then stopped to chat to a friend before finally delivering them to their requested destination. I asked to be dropped to the railway station for my departure and was told to get a taxi! After I expressed my indignation, I was told by the male receptionist whose arrogant attitude did a 180 degree turn and literally grovelled that they would get me there even if they had to pay for a taxi themselves and would I like a cup of tea, coffee ...? It was nauseating.

I am so sorry not to be able to recommend this hotel. It is a missed opportunity that's for sure because the framework is there. The people running the hotel have absolutely no idea what they are doing and I suggest they take themselves off to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Bangkok to see how it should be done. And then they need to look at the price of the rooms and the food/drinks. This hotel could easily be great and could easily be full!

The hotel is apparently for sale at the present time for the sum of 300,000,000 CHF - how I wish a proper hotel group would buy it and sort it out - but, at that price, I can't see it happening!

Room Tip: Unless you are very spoiled or like to hold large gatherings in your bedroom, there is no need to bo...