“Skiing Holiday”

Chalet RoyAlp Hotel & Spa
london
“Skiing Holiday”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The accommodation is very good, the reception is disorganised with no attention to detail, We asked for somebody to collect our luggage and they did not turn up,we also requested to be taken to the station at 9am so we could catch the train for our flight, again the reception failed us, we asked for two sets of keys as we had 5 adults staying in the room to be told on the first day this would be arranged by the third day they said they did not have a spare set of Keys.
The problem really was that nobody seemed to be in charge.

On the plus side the Food in the main restaurant was good and the Spa was fantastic, its very expensive but its just not 5 star service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ivan047

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We have stayed at the hotel a number of times since it opened and it has been like a ghost hotel on every occasion - just the odd fellow guest to be seen from time to time. The beauty of the place has not diminished in all that time - its remains probably the most gorgeous skiing hotel I have ever stayed in in terms of decor (A+), size of rooms (A+), facilities in the rooms like storage, separate loo, separate shower etc etc (A+). The spa facilities, in terms of things you don't need to pay extra for, are also first class and beautiful. In fact, in terms of facilities, the only thing that I did not find satisfactory was the temperature in the bedrooms. We were far too hot, even with the balcony door fully open all night. We were supplied with fans because, we were told, the hotel is heated from one central point and it isn't possible to control the temperature of individual rooms. This seems completely daft to me - it must mean they are heating rooms to oven temperatures even when there in no guest staying there. And why hasn't it got air conditioning? It gets very hot in Villars in the summer.

It is also by far the most expensive skiing hotel I have ever stayed in (and I include the Badrutts Palace in St Moritz, in that!). I actually think they have lost the plot over prices (which must mean that I have too - until now ...).

The problem is that, just as the decor has not changed since it opened, neither has the standard of service. At the beginning, we put the amateurish "service" down to the fact that the hotel was brand new and all the staff were new. There is no excuse for it 5 or 6 years later!

I cannot give any positive comments about service whatsoever.

The shuttle which is supposed to be available on demand was working at 1/2 capacity (even though I was assured that the hotel was full and this was why we could not keep 1 of our rooms for an extra couple of hours). My teenage daughters waited 40 minutes for the shuttle to take them to a restaurant in the village, where we were waiting for them and even then the driver took them on a circuitous route to drop off 2 other teenage children of another guest to the local International School where they are pupils and then stopped to chat to a friend before finally delivering them to their requested destination. I asked to be dropped to the railway station for my departure and was told to get a taxi! After I expressed my indignation, I was told by the male receptionist whose arrogant attitude did a 180 degree turn and literally grovelled that they would get me there even if they had to pay for a taxi themselves and would I like a cup of tea, coffee ...? It was nauseating.

I am so sorry not to be able to recommend this hotel. It is a missed opportunity that's for sure because the framework is there. The people running the hotel have absolutely no idea what they are doing and I suggest they take themselves off to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Bangkok to see how it should be done. And then they need to look at the price of the rooms and the food/drinks. This hotel could easily be great and could easily be full!

The hotel is apparently for sale at the present time for the sum of 300,000,000 CHF - how I wish a proper hotel group would buy it and sort it out - but, at that price, I can't see it happening!

Room Tip: Unless you are very spoiled or like to hold large gatherings in your bedroom, there is no need to bo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank j b
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013

3 night stay in January for an anniversary-flawless and helpful service, great food, great spa and treatments, lovely hotel with fun decor, next to ski station and possible to ski straight down to the door..can't find anything to fault.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bloomfield3
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed as a family over the New Year. The hotel is attractive throughout with lovely decor and furniture. We had adjoining rooms which were of a good size and very nice.
Things didn't get off to a great start as when we arrived in Geneva there was no car to meet us. I chased the hotel who apologised and said that the driver was delayed in traffic but when the driver eventually arrived it was clear that he had not been delayed in traffic and had only been asked at the last minute to collect us. It very much appeared to be an oversight on the part of the hotel.
The hotel has a good location. It is located right next to the ski train station although the hotel shuttle bus will also ferry you around Villars as required. The shuttle bus drivers were particularly helpful and polite. We walked in to Villars and this only took around 15 minutes.
Food and drink within this hotel are expensive as indeed they were on the mountain and in the village. Don't choose Villars if you are not prepared to pay high prices for ski passes, ski hire, food and drink.
Breakfast was quite good but nowhere near as good as other 5 star hotels we have visited. The service at breakfast was very, very patchy. One morning we waited nearly 20 minutes before we were offered tea or coffee.
We ate in two of the restaurants as well as the bar. The food was quite fancy, expensive and did not appeal to our taste buds. I think the menus need to include some less fancy and extravagant dishes. The service in the bar was ok (although several times they forgot some of our order) but the service in the restaurants was slow, sometimes unfriendly and well below par. At no point during any of our meals were we asked if our food was ok !
We dined at the hotel on New Years Eve and this was a particular low point. Prior to arriving at the hotel we had asked whether our children could eat something other than the set menu. After a fairly long wait we were eventually told that this would be ok. During the day on New Years Eve I wanted to double check this arrangement and spoke to reception. I was told that it would be fine for our children to select food from the bar menu. Upon arriving that evening for our meal our children were presented with the New Years Eve set menu. I queried this with our waitress and a few minutes later the restaurant manager appeared and told us that this menu was the only option for our children. I told him that we had agreed otherwise but he would not budge. He was quite rude and abrasive and we were very close at this point to walking out. After I told him again that we had been told our children could choose from the bar menu he stormed off, returned shortly afterward and told us that the hotel manager had agreed to our request. To be honest this spoilt our evening. The food on this evening was very poor and probably the worst meal of our holiday.
When we checked out it was clear again that the hotel had forgotten to arrange our airport transfer. They booked us a taxi - an old people carrier of some description so a far cry from the gleaming Mercedes S class that took us to the hotel.
The hotel was quite busy and the Christmas decorations were very lovely. The hotel has a superb spa with pool, hot tub sauna etc and this area is a real treat. The pool water was a tad cool so none of us wanted to stay in there too long.
We won't return to this hotel and overall think the service level is below that for a resort of this standing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Nick C
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Spent the week of 12-13 Janaury 2013 at Royalp in Villars. We got a discounted price for an exec room with mountain view. Beautiful, large room with the perfect mix of chalet style and modernity, fantastic views, absolute quiet. Beautiful bathroom with angle bathtub plus Italian shower. The only complaint about the room: it was a bit overheated and no way to regulate the temperature except open the window which we ended up doing. The other tiny little detail is the electronic key (not a card, a real key with some electronic features). But it seems to have the drawbacks of both a keycard and an actual key (sometimes it doesn't work and you can loose it!). I meant to ask the advantages of such fancy key with a little LCD on it but forgot. Fantastic location. You can ski in and catch the train up in front of the hotel. 5-7 minute walk to the village (quite steep though). Outstanding service by the many staff. They gave us (free) shuttle rides to the village at our convenience and also drove us to a store to rent snowshoes and waited for us. I'm not sure whether they can offer the same level of service when it's completely sold out, but on that week end, it seems there was a three-staff-to-one-patron ratio. The spa is excellent. The pool area is beautiful. The jacuzzi, spa and hammam are a bit small so again, I don't know how it looks during peak season. Everything is absolutely spotless clean. Plenty of towels, bathrobes, amenities in the lockers. We had a drink at the Bear bar late evening. Great decor, mixology, and DJ. The place was empty unfortunately. Would have loved a bit more ambiance. The various salons and common areas are all tastefully decorated. We didn't try the food - only breakfast which was good, but not outstanding. True, it's not cheap, but at around CHF400 (discounted) for a beautiful room with a view, in the middle of Winter, it's a reasonable price for a Swiss 5-star resort. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a mountain view, on 3rd or 4th floors.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank titi338
Cannes, France
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I think this is the first time a hotel is actually better than what I expected. Website photos generally make everything look bigger and better, well the opposite is true in the case of the RoyAlp!
The lobby is stunning and we had an excellent welcome and very quick service.
Our rooms(standard) were gorgeous! Beautiful furnishings, spacious, more closet space than I have ever seen in a hotel, big modern bathroom. Everything was absolutely perfect and so clean it all seems brand new!
Unfortunately, we stayed less than 24 hrs and were unable to take advantage of all the hotel has to offer. The pool is a dream, had a quick peek at sauna and Hamman(marble) - again, stunning.
There are 3 game rooms, one for small children, one for older kids and one for adults -all fantastic! And... a cinema!! I had to drag(literally) my children away from this hotel!
We ate once in the evening and one breakfast at the main restaurant . Food was good and had a good selection not exceptional but good- this is Switzerland after all...
We would happily return but next time for a longer stay!! This is the kind of hotel you would expect to find somewhere very chic like Megeve or Saint Moritz which is probably why I was so surprised to find something of this quality in a small Swiss town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Renens
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Hotel RoyAlp Villars Sur Ollen

Reception: .
The reception was prepared of the arrival and the check-in was handled in a couple of minutes. After the checkin the receptionist gave us a round tour of the hotel explaining the various lounges, restaurants, spa and other facilities.

The Room:
The room was on the 6floor with a terrace, many cupboards for organizing the cloth, the shower, bathroom and toilet were each in separate rooms.

Restaurants
We visited twice the Grizzly Brasserie because the food is fantastic!. There is also a cigar lounge

The breakfast buffet offer a choice of continental and English breakfast, the quality of the food was exceptinal.

The Staff
The staff is professional and friendly

My ratings (score out of 10)
Reception: 10
The Rooms: 10
Facilities: 10
Restaurants: 10
The Staff: 10

Summary:
Definitely recommend the RoyAlp because of the Very high Quality. Prices are correct for Swiss standard.

Room Tip: We selected the Executive RoyAlp Double Room, which meets the dimensions of what many other hotels w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villars-sur-Ollon
Alpe Fleurie Hotel & Residence
#1 of 6 in Vevey
Hotel Le Chamois
Hotel Le Chamois
#3 of 4 in Les Diablerets

Been to Chalet RoyAlp Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!