TripAdvisor
Search
Open today: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Verbier Summits - Paragliding XC Course and Accommodations

I attended Verbier Summits paragliding XC Course for a week in September. Their professional... read more

Reviewed October 7, 2019
chrisjette
Charlottetown, Canada
Excellent thermalling course.

Brilliant! The most professional, friendly and enjoyable paragliding centre I have been to. I did... read more

Reviewed September 20, 2019
tobyb427
Crondall, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews tandem flight two weeks ground school these guys take offs flying high thanks mike chocolate box exhilarating experience views are amazing main landing flying skills flying school long review absolutely great experience swiss alps excellent instruction
Selected filters
Reviewed July 13, 2017

My boyfriend and I had the pleasure of learning with Mike and Stu along with their team! It was such a great experience which I would really recommend to anyone who is thinking of starting to fly. All of the instructors are very friendly, and you can really tell that they love what they do! This is super important as it creates a comfortable atmosphere for the students. In our class all students were at different levels. For example, we had a couple of students who had experience flying with different canopies before, such as canopies used for base jumping and skydiving, but we also had students who have never been in the air on their own. The instructors managed to accommodate everyone perfectly and make everyone feel comfortable with their progression. I have done some flying since leaving the school, however, I will be returning soon for some further education!

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed July 9, 2017

My boyfriend chose Verbier Summits to complete the Elementary Pilot's (EP) course after a quick search on the internet and I was admittedly skeptical as I knew that it was possible to complete the course in the UK for much cheaper. We flew into Geneva airport and it is approximately a 2 and a half hour train journey to Le Chable which is where the course is run from. We texted Stu when we were going to arrive and we were greeted by Emi, who drove us to the accommodation (about a 2 minute walk away from the train station). Emi showed us to our rooms and was always around for us to ask questions etc.
We were also delighted to find out that our room ( as we had chosen to have the accommodation included) was above the restaurant and right next to where the whole operation was done from- which meant only having to go downstairs for breakfast, and walking outside to be driven to where we had to go for the day. We were extremely pleased that we chose the option to have the accommodation included so we didn't have to have the extra hassle of booking somewhere nearby. The apartment was extremely clean and well furnished, it had an extremely well kitted out kitchen (including an oven) - if I had to be picky, the room was on the slightly small side but considering you spent the whole day outside doing the course, that was never a problem. We mostly cooked our meals in the apartment, but the supermarket in Le Chable doesn't open on Sunday and the times are a little awkward so I'd definitely recommend letting them know if you need to pop into the supermarket. (And the wifi in the apartment was really good)
Breakfast was included, which was a continental style with fresh croissants every morning.
On the first day we started by meeting the rest of the group, signing paperwork and being issued our task books. Once this was completed, we headed up to what I like to call "the baby slope" where we started our ground training. Emi and Guy talked us through the components and how to set up the wing, safety checks and how to inflate the wing for flight. Once we were shown, it was our time to try get the wing up! After a mildly frustrating morning, we had lunch down in Verbier and went back to give it another go in the afternoon where all of us started to really get the hang of it. It was also great that Emi and Guy would give us continuous feedback on how to improve.
On the second day, those who managed to demonstrate they were able to take off went to take their first flight - this mainly included those who had done ground training before or had done an EP before. Those who still needed more practice (which included me!) spent the rest of the day continuing practice at ground school. This included adjusting for asymmetrical inflation and also honing steering skills and leaning how the wing feels. Late afternoon we were briefed on our first flight.
On Wednesday we were ready for our first flight! We were driven to our first take off slope and were given detailed briefings to ensure knowledge retainment before we set up and we were ready to go. Though a little daunting at first, we always had contact with Stu or Mike on the radio, who ensured we got down safely whilst also being able to take in the entire experience of paragliding! It was an amazing experience being in the air controlling the wing myself and constant contact on the radio really assured me that I was safe. My first landing was far from perfect but I was raring to head back up to give it a second go! Plus, after each flight, we would sit down to have a debrief where Stu would detail how we did. We all got two flights in the morning and the afternoon consisted of the theory on principled of flight delivered by Emi who made it interesting by his many stories collected during his time paragliding!
On Thursday we took the cable car up to a higher take off point which allowed double the amount of gliding time, on each flight we had different tasks to complete but we also had at least 5 mins to fly around doing what we liked, allowing us to have a bit more independence and gain confidence in flight. They always had constant contact with us and each flight giving us a little more independence to allow us to think for ourselves. In the afternoon we headed to the lake for some more theory delivered by Emi and as we were by the lake, this allowed us to have a quick paddle part way through!
On Friday, we had one flight in the morning and weren't able to fit in a second flight unfortunately due to the conditions, but it really highlighted to us that even though it appeared to be a beautiful day the turbulence in the air was not suitable for us beginners. Even though we were all gutted, it's great to see that they made a good call to ensure the safety of their students. We finished that day covering more theory by the lake.
During the entire week, we had been filling in our task books and it was impressive to see that we had not just easily completed the EP tasks, but also over half of the Club Pilot (CP) tasks as well. And this had been completed alongside over an hour of flying time.
On the Saturday morning we had the exam (which we passed!) before we had to leave. \
Apologies for such a long review but I wanted to emphasise how incredible this week really was. The instruction by Stu, Mike, Emi and Guy was absolutely amazing and I wouldn't hesitate to go back next year to complete my CP and I highly recommend this school to anyone who wants to learn to paraglide. My initial skepticism of learning paragliding in Switzerland instead of the UK has been pushed to one side; especially after hearing from the other people on the course who were unable to complete their EP after numerous courses in the UK due to bad weather. The longer travel and extra money is definitely worth it for the superior quality of teaching, the sights, and an absolutely great experience.

Recommendations:
- I'd wear hiking boots with ankle support if possible, as if you land like me, you need the extra ankle support!
- Pack swimwear, sunglasses, suncream, aftersun
- Learn to paraglide and have a great time!

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed July 9, 2017

If you have ever thought of Paragliding, check out Verbier Summits! The team at Verbier are a very knowledgeable, safe, professional, and fun group of people. I can't express what a great of a time I had on the 2 day taster class! I will be back to do the entire course in the very near future.

Date of experience: June 2017
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed July 1, 2017

My girlfriend and I purchased a glider and a two week course through this company. We just found them on the web and didn't really know what to expect. We had accommodation included which we thought would be very budget, but it was way nicer than expected. The house we stayed in was prefect. The course was run very well and was beyond organized. I have been involved in many adventure sports, therefore have gone through lots of courses for different activities. Paragliding aside all the instructors had great personalities and did a very good job relaying information. We had a variety of different people in our group and the instructors manged to keep everybody on the same page and progressing fast but in a very safe manner. I have now visited a few paragliding schools and clubs around europe now that I have my club pilot. Every school I visit makes me happier that I decided to learn with the Verbier Summits team. I highly recommend that you start your progression with this team you wont regret it. Happy flying

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed April 7, 2017 via mobile

I could not recommend these guys enough.
Professional and friendly.
Thank you for a great flight.
I booked this for my daughters birthday and she absolutely loved it.

Date of experience: April 2017