Engadiner Boutique-Hotel GuardaVal
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$201
$175
Official Site
$128
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsno elevatorbreakfast buffet isfree accessdining roompassagespassaunasummerbalconyswitzerlandvillagecharmmountainsskiing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We had a very enjoyable welcoming 4 days at the hotel, of particular note was the quality of service especially in the Restaurant with excellent breakfasts and which serves superb creative food. For example on returning from the breakfast buffet with several items a waitress noticed I didn’t have a knife for the croissant and before even I noticed this she had quietly put one on my table for me. In the evenings the owner Mrs Dietrich went to every table to check everyone was happy while simultaneously serving, filling glasses etc ie with purpose not just inquiry. Staff cannot complain about what they are asked to do if the owner is herself doing it.
The one major negative: Many people don’t want to drink alcohol all evening; some have medical, religious reasons not to, perhaps are pregnant etc. There was no listing of any non-alcoholic drinks / virgin cocktails etc on the drinks menu, and when asked only children’s fizzy drinks or orange juice were mentioned which obviously overwhelms the taste of good food. Good quality, non-alcoholic drinks suitable t consume with quality food actually were available but I had to spend some time investigating at the bar later to find them. Solution: simply have a page in the menu which lists these, easy!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Had a nice visit at Guardaval end of summer 2011. The region is fantastic as always, the hotel was nice but not as great as it is made out to be on this site.

Upon arrival after a 4 hour tiring car ride, we requested to get into the room as soon as possible to refresh and relax. We were then asked to take a seat in their arrival lounge where they served two glasses of sparkling wine, while supposedly preparing the room. After that we were literally 'forgotten'. Being Swiss but not being used to sloppy Swiss service, I assumed it was a special room preparation that took so much time, but luckily after 15 minutes my wife insisted that I checked with the reception when our room would be ready. Of course it was ready right then, and they simply waited for us to empty the glass of wine (my wife had no intention to do that anyway...).

Not a nice start but off to the room...We booked their medium class rooms but once we arrived it turned out that our room was the very last one at the end of a dark corridor, one of their smallest (we compared) and - while it had a balcony - overlooking a sizable construction site. After confirming that we would have construction noise from 7am onwards, we asked for another room. Alternatives were shown to us only very reluctantly, which was not a nice experience again.
Our final room was very nice (Engadiner room) though of course they insisted on us paying the higher price of that room.

The rest of the hotel stay was ok. Nothing special, good breakfast (though we got the stares of the staff when we went over the time limit...), no other special service nor special issues, except my the restaurant bookings.
I deliberately called ahead to make the evening restaurant bookings. The hotel restaurant was not available during our stay, so I asked for recommendations for top restaurants in the vicinity of Scuol: reservations were made for the Crush Alba in S-charl and for the Schlossrestaurant Chaste in Tarasp for one evening each. Upon the first night, the reception could first not find our reservation, and then sent us to the Crush Alba Restaurant in Scuol instead of S-charl. We found it in the end on our own and I can highly recommend it. The second night we were on our way to Chaste at the Castle in Tarasp only to find that it was the evening of the week when their restaurant is closed. Did Guardaval make a reservation at all as confirmed to us? Doesn't look likely but I was too annoyed to ever check back with them.

Generally I sensed a lack of management oversight at the Guardaval which standards slightly but surely slipping without anybody noticing. It is a nice hotel with many good things going for them, but don't believe ALL the hype on this site.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We had the luxury of staying a night at this stunning place. We booked one of the best rooms in the hotel, that was huge, had a luxury bathtub, awesome shower and very cosy feel to the room. We were able to use the wellness part of the hotel as well, there is a classy sauna, steam room and relaxing room. We then had dinner at the hotel which is also on the Michelin guide - the food was lovely and very well priced compared to other parts of Switzerland. Breakfast was great - a wide selection of cereals, yoghurt, muesli, salmon, selection of cheeses, eggs, desserts etc. Was truly an amazing stay and would definitely go back. It's a bit pricey but oh so worth it!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jetset2London
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We spent a week at the Guardaval during August 2011 and found this to be one of the best hotels we have visited in Switzerland. Although it is a little more expensive than other hotels, it is definitely a cut above and lived up to the Trip Advisor reviews.

All staff members were very helpful and prepared to go out of their way to provide exceptional service. Nothing was too much bother - for example they ensured that the newspaper delivered to our room each day was an English paper, and even made sure we had Euros when they knew we were doing a hike that crossed into Italy.

Our room was at the top of the hotel and had floor to ceiling windows with spectacular views of the mountains. The room was decorated in modern style with excellent quality bedding - especially the feather pillows. The bathroom was newly rennovated and we had a very useable balcony on which to enjoy the mountain views. The hotel also has a lovely terrace, bar and cosy spa.

The highlight of the hotel however was the dinners included in our half board package. These were made with the highest quality ingredients and were a true work of art.

Scuol itself is a hidden gem to which we plan to return. There is excellent hiking for all levels and the opportunity to access Italy and Austria. We also recommend the Roman Irish spa experience at the Engadina Spa. It my be expensive, but this will leave you feeling truly relaxed and pampered.

Room Tip: We had room 71 at the top of the hotel. It had glorious views, but does require you to climb 3 stories..
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sashenka
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The Guardaval hotel was recommended to me by a work colleague. I was looking for somewhere new to show my parents when they were over in Switzerland, so I took a chance on the Guardaval and Scuol.

Wow! I'm amazed Scuol itself isn't better known. It was only three hours by car from Zurich, and I think it would also have been a fairly straightforward journey by train too.

But for us the highlight was the hotel itself. Absolutely top quality management and staff, terrific meals (both breakfast and evening) and really atmospheric rooms. Somehow they've managed a relaxing and stylish blend of the very old (show me two walls that meet at 90 degrees) with the modern, such as their trendy bar area.

And waking up in the morning and seeing the breathtaking view across the valley is simply stunning.

We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Room 20 is on three floors! You enter a small lounge, head down for the bathroom and up for the bedroom. Very atmospheric.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family