“Above & beyond!”
Review of Hotel Artemis

Hotel Artemis
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Saas-Fee
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We arrived in Saas Fee not knowing the entire town, hotels & restaurants are closed the month of May! From outside the tourist office, my husband & I called many hotels, only to be told they were closed. Upon calling Hotel Artemis, the new owner, Peter Wirth, answered, told us his hotel was also closed, but that he would be happy to open it for us to stay!! He was unbelievably kind and we found him waiting outside the hotel for us, on the street, as we walked up with our luggage (like Zermatt, Saas Fee is a no-car city, but smaller, much easier to access and with less tourists). As it turned out, the hotel is in a prime, central area of Saas Fee. We were given a clean, wonderful room with a balcony. Peter, along with the new resident manager, also named Peter, bent over backwards to make our stay in Saas Fee wonderful experience. We had only planned to stay 1 night but extended it an extra night because of this great hotel & superb hosts. When asked if there was a laundromat in town, the owner demanded that we use his own washing machine! And I cannot end this review without talking about the breakfast! As a very seasoned European traveller, I can say that it was the best we have had throughout our years of travel. Just for the two of us, while the hotel was "closed," they included a full breakfast consisting of anything we wanted! Which, in our case was a huge bowl of mixed, fresh fruit, plate of meats & cheeses, yogurt, choices of cereals, breads, juice, coffee, tea, and eggs ... cooked any way we preferred! And these incredible, farm-fresh, pasture-raised eggs were purchased in a town located across the valley from Saas Fee! Needless to say, we were sad to leave Hotel Artemis but look forward to returning for a winter vacation as soon as we can!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Artemis

Reviewed June 24, 2011

We arrived in Saas Fee not knowing the entire town, hotels & restaurants are closed the month of May! From outside the tourist office, my husband & I called many hotels, only to be told they were closed. Upon calling Hotel Artemis, the new owner, Peter Wirth, answered, told us his hotel was also closed, but that he would be happy to open it for us to stay!! He was unbelievably kind and we found him waiting outside the hotel for us, on the street, as we walked up with our luggage (like Zermatt, Saas Fee is a no-car city, but smaller, much easier to access and with less tourists). As it turned out, the hotel is in a prime, central area of Saas Fee. We were given a clean, wonderful room with a balcony. Peter, along with the new resident manager, also named Peter, bent over backwards to make our stay in Saas Fee wonderful. We had only planned to stay 1 night but extended it an extra night because of this great hotel & superb hosts. When asked if there was a laundromat in town, the owner demanded that we use his own washing machine! And I cannot end this review without talking about the breakfast! As a very seasoned European traveller, I can say that it was the best we have had throughout our years of travel. Just for the two of us, while the hotel was "closed," they included a full breakfast consisting of anything we wanted! Which, in our case was a huge bowl of mixed, fresh fruit, plate of meats & cheeses, yogurt, choices of cereals, breads, juice, coffee, tea, and eggs ... cooked any way we preferred! And these incredible, farm-fresh, pasture-raised eggs were purchased in a town located across the valley from Saas Fee! Needless to say, we were sad to leave Hotel Artemis but look forward to returning for a winter vacation as soon as we can!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Explorer84LosAngeles
Reviewed March 5, 2011

As a person in the luxury hotel business I would genuinely recommend the Artemis Hotel. While it is not a luxury hotel, the welcoming staff and general manager, Mr. Wirth, made me feel truly at home. I have stayed at another Wirth family hotel in Rome and I can see that the same attention to the guests exists even without the grandeur. Two of my favorite benefits of the hotel are that after a long day of skiing I was able to leave my skis right at the bottom of the lift in the hotel's ski room and not have to carry them back and forth. Secondly, once I got back to the hotel, I threw on my bathing suit and went through a great little passage way connecting to the next door hotels wonderful spa, hot tub, steam room and sauna. I would certainly recommend the hotel to any traveler looking for a simple and high-value stay in the Alps.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I'd been before and it was quite nice but it's much better and friendlier now under the new management. Mr Wirth was a most kind and helpful host and the whole atmosphere was just more upbeat. A great stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed for three nights and wished we had booked longer. The scenery is just superb and we enjoyed the clean air. The staff is outstanding and we can't wait to get back to visit again! Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I am a Swiss citizen but went for the first time to Saas Fee (Shame on me). I heard so much about it from friends and relatives. Saas Fee is not only incredibly beautiful and calm (cars are not allowed in the village) but it still offers original Swiss tradition in every aspect: restaurants, constructions, people, etc... Contrary to other places i have been to in Switzerland Saas Fee is relatively untouched. No un-necessary luxury stores, traditional food, welcoming people, and very kids friendly, etc... the perfect place for the one who wants to enjoy nature, relax and breath a bowl of fresh air.

I selected Artemis hotel as it was recommended to me. Since Artemis is a "Garni" (bed and breakfast type hotel), i had the best of both world: i could have a nice breakfast (included in the price) with a wide selection of food and the independence of eating out or simply enjoying a pic nic. Usually other hotels offer half or full pension (which forces you to have at least one extra meal in the hotel at a cost).

The hotel is clean and modern. It offers WIFI and TV. The staff was really nice and helpful. The new owner is very personable and always willing to go the extra mile, offering help and deals for other services. The rooms are featured with everything one requires and it is silent.

In short, i recommend the place.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Stayed at Hotel Artemis while working at a local chalet. The rooms are basic but clean and functional. The breakfast staff are lovely and the selection more than adequate. The reception staff and friendly and super helpful. Just don't do anything that is out of the ordinary. We dropped our bags early on arrival, but as the room was not ready, we left to work for the day. On our return at 23:00, we found the hotel locked. We pressed the button and received a very grumpy response from the manager. I was super apologetic, but he would not stop telling us off (I am 44 and not used to that kind of treatment). After all, we had not been given a key to get back in to the hotel, or told of the hours. On departure, our boss had arranged to pay our bill. Something went wrong with the communication and I was asked to pay. Before I could explain, the mad manager had run off down the corridor with my bag. He really thought that I was a criminal. Ultimately, by boss paid by credit card, and the mad manager did not apologise. Stay well clear of him and don't accidently do anything wrong, and your stay could be OK.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Teresa W
wirthotel, Manager at Hotel Artemis, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2010

Dear guest, I am sorry you had a bad experience with the former manager / owner. Now it's different, I am the new manager, co-owner and this problem will not happen again. Could you be so kind to take back your negative review and keep only the good part of it ? Like I said, it is unfortunate that this happened to you and I hope I'll be able to make it up to you in some other way some other time. Best regards, Peter Wirth, Hotel Artemis, Saas-Fee