“Touch of class”

Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Saas-Fee
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Touch of class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

The Dom is one of the oldest buildings in town, but has been completely gutted internally and the decor is now a great combination of traditional alpine pine and with an ultra-modern look. My wife and I decided to push the boat out and went for a deluxe room, which is pretty large, and has a free-standing bathtub in the corner of the room (sounds a bit decadent, but check out the hotel pics to get an idea). There's also a great en-suite shower and a separate toilet (with a door!).

The room is terrific, with a large flat-screen TV, loads of channels including UK channels in HD, lots of downlighters individually controlled by a wall-mounted touch pad, and also an iPad to control the telly (although this sounds cool, it was a bit of a faff to use the iPad to adjust the volume or change channels - I'd have preferred the telly remote!). However, the iPad was great for accessing the (free) internet.

We were there the week after the Easter holiday fortnight, and the Dom was shutting for 6 weeks at the end of our week (last week of skiing as well), so there only seemed to be 3 or so rooms occupied, based on who we could see at breakfast (which was excellent, taking in a beautiful breakfast room). You can take up the half-board option on a day-by-day basis, and the set menu is 40 francs (about £26) per head for an excellent 4-course meal. The restaurant was fairly quiet, but the food was superb on the set menu, considering some of the a la carte main courses weren't far off 40 francs on their own. An earlier post criticised the food, which I can't understand.

As for skiing, the boot room is the best I've ever used, and the hotel will drop you off and pick you up from the lift station.

There's also a bar which has a direct door to the outside, and is fairly popular with non-guests (although the resort was pretty quiet). My only negative is that this is the only place in the hotel where you can go if you don't want to sit in your room - there's no real lounge area, as such (but the bar only opens from 5pm, and not on a Sunday or Monday).

However, that's a minor point when the rooms are so nice. The staff were uniformly excellent and friendly, and it must be the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in - absolutely spotless. If I were to return to Saas Fee, I'd definitely go back to the Dom.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dalang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
West Malling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Lots of upsides to this hotel. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The decor is uber modern with gleaming wooden floors, big sumptuous beds, plenty of storage NB the ski storage in the basement is excellent - heated lockers, so no grim shoving of feet into cold unwelcoming ski boots in the morning. We visited over the Easter break and alongside the daily replenishment of water bottles and apples, we were also given a basket of Easter eggs and a white chocolate rabbit. Nice touch. Fabulous restaurant, I'm still missing the food. Breakfast also utterly divine. Fabulous breads, pastries, egg options and most excellent coffee.
The downsides, no bath. Unless you book a premium room. I need a hot bath after a day of sliding around on the snow and a shower simply didn't cut it. I was Ill on the trip - nothing to do with the hotel and having to shower whilst ill was not easy. But those are my only criticisms, it was all mostly excellent. Would not hesitate in going back.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back if you need a lie in as the church bells chime from 7 am through to 11pm. How...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Zurich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We came here over easter with 2 small kids and all had a great time. First, the hotel is beautifully renovated combining modern and traditional. The architect did a great job. The rooms were beautiful and modern. We wanted to go out but ended up staying in all 4 nights eating at the hotel. The first night my husband ordered meat and I had fish and both of us felt that the meal was way too salty but the other evenings after that was fine. The kitchen was o.k. but nothing special. I thought it was actually reasonably priced for Saas Fee. The dining area for hotel guests, though nice lacked atmosphere. It would be nicer if they made it warmer. One of the evenings I had ordered a chocolate cake for my sons birthday and they didn't end up charging us for it, we were pleasantly surprised! Breakfast was also o.k. but nothing special.
I was a bit worried about being in the middle of Saas Fee and though 2 evenings I heard some young kids screaming and singing in the middle of the night for a few minutes, it is actually very quiet and we all slept very well. What I loved was that they have the electric buggy that brought us to and from the lift every day...loved not walking.
The only thing missing is a spa and as someone else mentioned, if you ski on the day of departure, there is no where for you to shower and change. For some reason they forgot to bring our bags down and left them in our room. When we came back from skiing we were able to use our room again for showering. We didnt leave until 5pm and they didnt charge us extra which was nice. I can imagine though during high season that would not be possible.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank fam4luv2travel
zurich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were there over easter and had an awesome room on the second floor with a beautiful tub in the room. There was a private shower and separate toilet. The hotel is newly furbished and it feels fresh, clean and elegant. We couldn't help admiring the rustic floorboards. There were bottles of water in the room which were replenished daily and on the night the clocks changed to summer-time, we got a note. We didn't try the 'halb-pension' but dined once in the restaurant for dinner and the food was good. We got the small (snack) menu that is on before 5pm and there the burger and fish & chips are recommended. It's just that we were the only couple in the whole restaurant. I guess if the weather was good, we could've sat outside. Breakfast was always a treat with an extensive buffet and also a selection of cooked-egg offerings.

It also helped that the bar was one of the places to be in Saas Fee and over easter there was a nice, dutch jazz band playing. It was great atmosphere and extra bonus of being just a lift down.

The staff were friendly and the atmosphere in this hotel was nice and laid-back. A very easy walk to the ski-lifts and aprés-ski places although you can also catch the ride provided by the hotel. The location was very central and the church-bell nearby added a nice, european-village touch to the experience.

I wouldn't hesitate to go return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nanda S
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Good: great location in centre of village 5 minutes walk to ski lifts, spotlessly clean, tasteful decor, good wifi and AV for playing your own music, BBC and ITV for the Brits, breakfast, shuttle taxi, comfortable beds and linen, complimentary drinking water and apples (I think I had 3 apples a day), heated ski/boot lockers, good supply of toiletries etc. Staff are pleasant and helpful. There is a nice bar which was a bit empty during my stay but it was a quiet week - it plays great music, which makes a nice change from cheesy apres-ski euro-pop (you can't hear it in the hotel while sleeping though). Rooms are well-designed so although they are small there is room to put everything. Nice balcony on superior rooms (not sure about standard rooms). I am a light sleeper, especially at altitude, but didn't hear street noise and the church bells were not as bad as I expected from other reviews.

Average: food and wine. Both are expensive (as is the case throughout the village if you are converting from GBP or Euros). I ate in the hotel 3 times - once room service, once in the restaurant and once in the bar. It was OK but nothing special, with the exception of the fresh-baked bread rolls, which were lovely, and I liked the house fries with truffly bits. Overall the village really needs some modern, relaxed dining options for a reasonable price, and the Dom is missing an opportunity to create some competition - the restaurant is just a bit too formal and heavy, and lacks atmosphere.

Bad: no spa or sauna, and no facility for showering if you want to ski your last day past the check-out time of 12pm. Late check-outs are not given at weekends, so there should be a separate shower and changing room considering the price of the rooms. I did get a late check-out in the end after pestering the staff to find out when the people coming into my room were arriving (it turned out they were not arriving till late and I left the room at 1.30pm), but I had to make a nuisance of myself. If you are planning to ski on the morning of your check-out day you need to bear this in mind. Apparently they are planning a spa but it won't be completed for another 2 seasons - you have to pay 40 francs to use the spa at another hotel a few minutes away. There are no baths even in a superior room (there are possibly baths in the suites) - just a very small shower cubicle, which was adequate but after skiing all day a soak in the bath would be nicer. There is no real lounge area for guests, so it's a choice of your room, the restaurant, or the public bar. Superior room was fine for just me but I suspect a standard room could be a bit crowded with 2 people.

Overall - this is a lovely-looking hotel in a great location, but the restaurant and communal facilities could be better. Please install a shower for check-out day!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Dom is newly renovated with beautiful rooms (some with a modern pedestal bath by the bed :-) with lots of very nice details - Swiss-style rucksack on the wall and each room with an iPad to work the TV and mood lighting. Breakfast in the dining room is good but there's little atmosphere in this large area. This is particularly noticeable in the evening if you have dinner there. The dinner is excellent but it's just a bit stark feeling. The ski-room is excellent with lockers for each room.

Our room looked over the church square and had a balcony. This was very nice (though a bit cold to use in February), but the church bells do go off every quarter hour from 7am to around 9 or 10pm. You get used to it, but...

All in all, a very nice place to stay in Saas Fee, which itself is a beautiful village.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front will hear the church bells more, but not sure how quiet the back would be... The...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at the Dom for a ski holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Location and the decor could not be beat - right in the center of a charming Swiss town and recently renovated (mid 2012?) with all the latest technology (the lighting and TV were controlled with an ipad.)

The basement floor had a wonderful boot room where you had your own heated locker to dry out your gear from the day skiing. You could walk directly in to the room from the outside, get out of your gear and head up to your room with minimal hassle.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful, especially Philip.

We booked a Superior room and it had plentiful space. It was nice to have a small sitting area to relax after the busy day.

We did the half board for one evening and thought that while the food was tasty, the atmosphere of the dining "hall" was not cozy and seemed cold. The service at dinner was a slower pace, so if you are in a hurry, it may not hit the mark.

I would definitely recommend The Dom to friends.

Room Tip: The superior was nice, especially for the bath to soothe aching muscles after the slopes and for the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple