“Superb modern hotel in one of the most picturesque towns in the Engadin Valley”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Donatz

Hotel Donatz
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Samedan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Donatz is a spectacularly presented modern hotel which, for me, is a demonstration in good design. The hotel is located in Samedan, a few minutes drive from San Moritz, and as scenic and characterful a town as you could wish for.

Our corner room was huge, extremely light with several windows along two sides, and with simple but flawless furnishing that remained true to the hotel's alpine setting. The bed was large and comfortable, there were many convenient power points, and the (charged for) WiFi was reliable if slow.

We didn't take breakfast, but we did have an enjoyable dinner of traditional swiss dishes - with some twists - plated at the table by the friendly and efficient waiter. We didn't go for the flambéed options but I can imagine they would add further to the theatre. We enjoyed a locally brewed beer which I'm sure must benefit from the quality of the water in the region. Dinner was expensive for the relatively simple dishes on offer, but that goes with the region.

There were no public parking spaces available when we arrived so we opted to pay to park in the hotel's small garage. The staff were welcoming and attentive, in fact no element of the service we received can be faulted. From previous research we knew we wanted to visit the nearby Spa in Samedan, and it was a nice surprise to find that entry was free for Donatz guests. We strongly recommend that guests take advantage of this - the spa is magnificent.

This is not an inexpensive hotel (especially if you dine there), but compared with many of the neighbouring options it does offer superb value for money. We very much hope to return.

Room Tip: Our corner room (33) was large and very light. Even the bathroom has a large window. We would ask fo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I are very experienced travellers in more or less all parts of the world and we have backpacked and stayed in five-star hotels and everything in between. Our stay at Hotel Donatz was the worst so far in our lives. The hotel is nice and tidy, but watch out for the owner! I'm polished enough not to use the words I'm thinking, but his behavior towards us was very very very bad. The worst treatment we actually ever had from a hotel staff.

We had brought our three months old baby and quite obviously she was sleeping together with us. We believe all parents have experienced that the diapers do not always cover up for all occasions. Unfotunately there was a minor accident during our stay. In the morning we informed the cleaners who said they were going to take care of it. Later in the day we checked out and left the hotel, but stayed in the village. After a while the waitress at the restaurant asked us to contact the hotel manager who had called them. We went back and was immediately dragged in to a discussion with a furious hotel manager who took us to the room to show a stain on the matress, caused by our three months baby. The cover to protect the matress was obviously not Swiss quality. Nor was the behavior of the hotel manager. He entered an argument that we had to pay for the bed! After a discussion that went worse with serious insults, I said I was going to take no more dirt from him and leave the room and hotel. Then he screamed that he was going to make us pay, physically tried to stop us from leaving the room and threatened to call the police!

What can we say? First of all, never go to Hotel Donatz in Samedan. You don't know what you'll end up paying for. He by the way made us pay for two rooms when we had to cancel the second room eight days in advance of the arrival due to the grandmother who should have joined got hospitalised. A month earlier we stayed at Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang in Penang, Malaysia. In comparison, Hotel Donatz has light-years to go to come even close to the hospitality they show....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank J B
ely
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

A friendly hotel. A lovely clean room with a mountain view from the bed and four windows in the room. Samedan is a charming place-especailly so if you go down all the side roads and enjoy the charm. When hotels offer a spa down the road you are in for a trek. Not here. The price include the Samedan spa which is simply mind blowing! The hotel also offered free cable car funicular bus and rail tickets for the duration of the stay (potentially worth more than the stay !!!). Breakfast superb with a vast variety of tasty breads. Restaurant looked nice but one would need to rob a (swiss) bank to use it at UK exchange rates!!!. Only slight snag was the lack of frosted glass on the upper side of the bathroom window. Girlfriend stopped a few buses I expect !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charlesnfergus
Bergen, Hordaland, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

very nice little hotel in Samedan.
Family-run.
friendly staff.
very nice rooms with everything you need.
the restaurant is small and intimate, the food is so good that I get hungry just thinking about it.

Room Tip: I had room 31, corner with many windows, large and bright, I loved that room. corner room facing on...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sebastian N
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Used Samedan as a hiking base and stayed here. Good hotel at a reasonable price with a great breakfast and wi-fi access (not free, but most places in this area don't have any access). Especially liked that the Engandine Card was included in the price. Gives you free access to all transportation in the area which saves an appreciable amount of money. Samedan makes a great base if you don't like the glitz (and expense) of St. Moritz and Pontressina. Also has better transportation connections and a friendly tourist office. A good guide book is the Cicerone guide to Walks in the Engandine.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank steve r
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

My husband and I have just spent the weekend in Samedan at this delightful hotel. Rooms were big, clean and quiet. Breakfast was very good (buffet) and included in room price. They also provide you with a free travel card to use during your stay. This was handy to get back and forth from St Moritz, which is only 10 mins away by bus. On the Sunday night, we had dinner in the hotel. This is a must. The service, food and wine was impeccable. Highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

This hotel is within five minutes' walk of the train station, and from here you can go to anywhere in the area. The hotel gave me a discount transport card for staying a minimum of two nights, which was great. Of course, I lost it, and my sfr 10 deposit, but they issued me another.

The staff are kind and all speak English. There is a lift, and the large rooms were very clean and comfortable, and well insulated against the cold nights. I do agree with Blondii on the somewhat odd choice of colours (grey) in the rooms, but this is no biggie because it is a good hotel in every other way. There was no mini bar in the room, but if I wanted cold water, I just put a bottle on the window sill outside and shut it out there overnight!

Switzerland is expensive, and although the rooms were a reasonable price, I found the meals in the restaurant a little pricey, although the food was good. There were a couple of other places open in the town itself (which is worth a walk around, it is lovely), but my German is next to non-existent, and I like to know what I'm eating, and what kinds are on offer, before I go in. I could have gone on the train to another town, but sometimes you just can't be bothered going out and want to go somewhere within a few minutes, especially if you've been on the go all day.

The breakfast is excellent, wide variety of tasty foods and hot/cold beverages.

Samedan is a great base for seeing all the sights in this area, and Hotel Donatz is a pleasant, comfortable, welcoming base in Samedan.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank lightwork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Samedan
Hotel Bernina 1865
#7 of 33 in St. Moritz
Kulm Hotel St. Moritz
Kulm Hotel St. Moritz
#3 of 33 in St. Moritz

Been to Hotel Donatz? Share your experiences!