“ristorante eccellente servizio simpatico”
Review of Hotel Steinbock

Hotel Steinbock
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Pontresina
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We chose this Hotel's Restaurant while looking for true Engadine specialities during our stay in Engadine.
Dishes are excellent, great local ingredients wonderfully served: a true tipical Swiss restaurant (and hotel)
Although a certain elegance Steinbock Restaurant keeps its Alpine informal atmosphere, with smiling weitress in traditional dress, best wines and beers, quick and dedicated service. Prices absolutely affordable (compared to the hotel which is rather exclusive: we spent 63 CHF in 2: main course beer!!)
Excellent their fondue+raclette, which can be only eated in their ''gondolezza'', just opposite on the same road.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Hotel Steinbock is a cute little hotel near the edge of Pontresina. Overall it's not a bad place to stay. The rooms are on the small side, the beds were very average, and there is no elevator, but the hotel is clean and well-kept and the staff, many of whom wore traditional Swiss dress, were generally friendly and helpful. Free wi-fi was available in the rooms. The location, near the end of Pontresina's main street, is quiet. There are shops and restaurants just a couple of minutes down the street, but the hotel is a bit over a kilometer from the train station. The hotel's restaurant was all right, and we definitely appreciated that they had an area that served as a salad bar one night and a dessert bar the next. It was nice to have a little more choice over what ended up on your plate, even if only for one course.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Wow!!! Walked from the train station. We only had a back pack, but 10 minute walk. Would recommend eating there in the hotel. We were offer dinner at the hotel, it was late, and had been traveling all day. The five course dinner was awesome!!! Anti-pasta plate, soup, salad bar, main dish, (which was trout, but staff let us change to a veal dish), and then dessert!!! We had the room where we shared the bathroom, but there wasn't any one else the other room. Beds were comfortable. It rained during the night, and we slept better with the sound of rain fall. If ever in that part of the world again, would stop in again, in a heart beat.
Thank you to the stafff, both hotel and resturant!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ron O
Reviewed July 13, 2012

we visited this hotel in the summer. We received a warm welcome. The porter had to carry our heavy bags to the room as there is no lift. The room was a good size with an excellent view of the mountains. The hotel is at the end of town and is in a quite location although a large new building is going up across the road and this might result in some noise. The staff were very helpful. There was a spa which we didn't have time to use but it sounded to be very good.The meals were a highlight. We booked half board and this sometimes results in ordinary meals but these were fantastic. If you are travelling by train you will probably need a taxi to get to the hotel as there is a steep hill but the distance is less than a kilometre. I would recommend this hotel for for a short or long stay.Very comfortable and very friendly.

Room Tip: we had room 33 which was quite, had plenty of room, good bathroom and a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2012

On my drive from Frankfurt to Pontresina, my GPS led me across a pass that was closed.... Needless to say that my night drive over the winding little Alpine roads brought me to Pontresina very late. I called the hotel as soon as I realized that I would not be able to make it by 8pm.. They promised me to keep a staff member on duty until I would arrive. This was a big relief to me! When I got there, my suit case was brought upstairs into my room. As a single traveler, I am sometimes given a lesser room (for full price) - not so in the Hotel Steinbock. I had a quaint little room with bath and view to the mountains. I enjoyed the church bells wishing me a good night :) Internet access was included. On all my endeavors, the hotel staff was very helpful. After a long day's hike, I enjoyed a massage at the Hotel Walther's next door. The breakfast was excellent and the dinner was good too. Yes, there is no elevator, but the staff will bring your luggage to your room. All you have to be able is to take the stairs up one level. Next time I come to this area, I will stay at the Hotel Steinbock again! I have stayed in other hotels/Pension in Pontresina - but this was the best!

Room Tip: Call and make reservations over the phone.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sigrid R
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed 3 nights and were more or less happy. The hotel is very small and has no elevator. The good thing is that the guests can use the wellness-facilities of the Hotel Walther. You just have to walk through the snow in your flip-flops and swim-suit!
The food was ok, but not more. We had a package including dinner sucht that we had to have dinner there and it did not always fully convince us.
Staff is friendly but not always helpful. We had a snowstorm and roads were blocked which made me quite nervous. They do not inform proactively but said they would print out the publich news as soon as they get them. The result was a 3 1/2 hour waiting time at the Vereina car-train.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2010

We stayed for one night while on a Swiss hiking tour. The room we had was large, clean, and comfortable with high ceilings and lots of closet space. The room safe worked as well. The hotel dining for dinner and breakfast was fine, but my wife didn't think that the dinner of goulash was that well prepared. Breakfasts were above average for most Swiss hotels, with lots of fresh breads, pastries, and cold cuts. There were also hard boiled eggs and the cheese selection was above average. We thought the hotel was quite nice and the staff very good. As some have noted, this hotel is located on the edge of Pontresina, a bit away from the main drag but its not that far of a walk to the main bus stops and train station.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple