“Bait and Switch”

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Pontresina
Dallas
“Bait and Switch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

Our guidebook showed that this hotel offered free internet. When we arrived, the hotel staff confirmed the internet would be free if we had our own computer, which we did. During our stay, we used the internet for email etc. At check-out, the staff insisted on charging us for internet use. When I told them we had been assured internet would be free by hotel staff, they scoffed at us and said pay anyway. They tried to justify this by saying internet used to be free. Also, the complimentary breakfast the next day was limited at best. I would not stay there again.

Stayed July 2009
5 Thank swisspass36

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

This is the best hotel I had in my whole life. It is located on the main road going to the village, 5-10mn from train station (street going up). In Pontresina almost everyhting is on the same street, which is only 1mn from the hotel (next curve at one block). Coop nearby, convenient for last-minute shopping before to go on a walk-tour.

The room were big, modern, and well designed. Cleanness is perfect, room equipment excellent with fridge, TV and 2 windows with nice view on the garden. The bathroom is huged and modern. The room was only for couple as you have a window in the shower, through which your mate can watch you taking your shower from the bed. Breakfast giant with everything you can expect if not more. It has a sauna in basement (not tried).

With a stay of min 3 nights you get possibility to enter for free a swimming-pool of another hotel, and get a train pass for the whole state.

It is a family-owned hotel (they live on the top floor), the staff was really nice and helpful. I got great walking informations from them.

Possibility to park car in garage from hotel, but tricky for big car as places are small.

• Liked — Room big and modern with full equipment, staff really nice
  • Disliked — ... nothing...
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Ishpeming, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2007

The best thing about the Hotel Garni Chesa Mulin is the staff. Throughout our nine day stay, staff went out of their way to help us. Eight of us travelled there for the Engadine Marathon; six of us stayed here.

My first impression set the tone. My travel plans were delayed by a blizzard in the United States. I arrived late, after 11 pm, and they stayed open late for me, assisted with my bags, and made sure I got oriented and settled in. The breakfast buffet is classic European with fresh fruit, many fresh-baked breads, cheeses, thin-sliced meat, cereal, yogurt, etc. The coffee is served strong and hot, a great way to start the day. The building seems to have been designed with mountain views in mind. Nearly every window has a great view.

The hotel is very close to the nordic ski trail, not more than a two minute walk. The walk from the train station is five minutes, and only about a block from the main bus station at the post office. There are many nearby restaurants and shops, and lots of places to buy and rent alpine skis. The grocery store is immediately next door, which was helpful given the prices of restaurant meals in Switzerland.

The sauna is the type I've found more commonly in Scandanavia ... hot, dry, and definitely not to be missed. It's hours are a little brief for my tastes, 4-8 pm, I believe. Scented water to throw on the rocks is available from a tap as well as a high-flow shower that completes a very relaxing day.

There's nothing particularly luxurious at Hotel Garni Chesa Mulin, but for a tidy, comfortable, centrally located hotel with a great staff and breakfast buffet, I recommend it heartily.

• Liked — Friendly, helpful staff
  • Disliked — Clean and comfortable, but nothing too fancy. I like that, though.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank New_Yooper