“Summer 2013 Long weekend Pontresina” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Kronenhof

Grand Hotel Kronenhof
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Pontresina
London, United Kingdom
“Summer 2013 Long weekend Pontresina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

August 17 2013 a for nights stay at this wonderful Kronenhof hotel in Pontresina.
From the welcome of the GM of the hotel to the farewell everything was superbly orchestrated.
The Grand restaurant offered a fine dinning experience in the evening, as well a well stocked buffet for breakfast.
The bar was very welcoming with pleasant entertaining music and attentive saff.
The spa with stuning views over looking the glacier is a oasis of tranqulity.
And jus to top up, the jewel in the crown is the Kronenstubly restaurant with its Michelin stared food, service and cosy ambiance lead by the manager and her team.
Attention to detail was a paramount troughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the glacier
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brookline, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a ten night vacation in Switzerland (my fifth), including Wengen, Zermatt, and Pontresina. Our hotel choice for that final stop was the Kronenhof. I'll start by saying that I've traveled widely, and have stayed at many fine hotels. I am observant, and also somewhat critical. On this occasion I can honestly say that there was very little to criticize. From the moment that we were picked up at the train station in Samedan, until we were dropped off on the platform to catch our train back to the airport in Zurich, the Kronenhof pretty much met or exceeded all of our expectations. The public spaces, the facilities, the service, the food, all were outstanding. I'll supply a few examples. After arriving at the hotel we were quickly checked in and shown up to our room (a double in the "comfort" category). I realized right away that I was somewhat disappointed by it's smallish size and location. After a moment of hesitation we decided to take it up with the staff at the front desk. What happened next set the tone for the rest of our stay. They understood the situation and were immediately responsive. We were escorted to several different rooms by someone who was patient and helpful. We ultimately decided to upgrade to a corner junior suite (room #707) on the top floor for a very modest increase in price. We were extremely happy with both the room and the way that they handled the entire incident. It was apparent that our satisfaction was very important to the hotel and it's staff. This attitude seemed to permeate most of what happened for us at the Kronenhof over the course of the next 4 days. Pretty much without exception the staff was available and intent on delivering a very high standard of service in a way that was not overbearing.
We were also struck by the quality and consistency of the food in the main dining room (I highly recommend the half board option for value). On the night of the italian buffet, for example, all of the seafood dishes (served in heated pans) were cooked pretty much perfectly. They weren't overcooked, as is often the case at buffets. I was impressed by this, as it is not something that's easy to pull off in a hotel dining room. Everything else was pretty much the same. We had originally thought that we might dine one evening in the Kronenstubli, their specialty restaurant, but we ultimately passed on that option as we were enjoying the dining room so much.
I'll also say something about the overall value proposition here as well. This is not an inexpensive hotel, but compared to our other choices in Switzerland, it was the hands down winner in terms of delivering value for the money. This has become our new favorite hotel in Switzerland, and we are already looking forward to returning. My complements to both the management and the staff.

Room Tip: "room #707 is a perfectly situated junior suite on the top floor that is sunny as well as priva...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank medtraveler2013
Ko Phangan, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Real old-school 5 star in a good sense. Everybody was really nice, Elina at the reception is just a sunshine.. but I was a bit surprised with posh behavior of the barmen, who was asking if we missed the door or something) May be, they are not used to have young customers in the hotel - I don't know. In this case, just tell him to shut up and ask to get a drink NOW!))) - really helped a lot)
But generally it was ultra-fine and the spa is just the best ever

Room Tip: tell them before, if you need wi-fi in your room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RollsRoyce95
Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

The interior and style dates from the glamorous time of grand hotels: Huge lounge area room with mirros and red plush sofas, the main restaurant with paintings on the ceiling and heavy curtains, separate billiard room, reading room.... The atmosphere is quite formal from the dress code in the dining room, the piano player for dinner and in the bar and so are the guests.
The spa though is 100% new world, beautifully designed with a mixed sauna and a women area. We had sunny and warm weather, so everybody moved the sun lounger outside in the large park. Unfortunately no pool or whirlepool outside. Our deluxe corner room (nr. 154) was in the new wing with an large and sunny terrasse with great view over the valley and direct access to the spa. Fresh fruits every day, including 2 free mineral water. We asked for sun loungers for our patio and the staff brought them immediately. The room itself had a good size (38m2), wooden floor, large wardrobe and a sitting area. It was a sunny room with large windows on two sides and an airy feeling. The design was a bit traditional style too, but well-kept and looked clean and new. What was strange for a new room- no WIFI in the room. We asked for WIFI and they brought us a router- we were lucky they had one left, there are not enough for every room. There are only a few rooms with a patio or a balcony, I think the room in the new wing are a good choice for their view and contempory design. Breakfast has a good selection with cheese, meat, cereals and eggs cooked to your order. But not a wow factor. The pavillon for lunch looked nice, but when we tried to get a snack in the late afternoon, it was already closed even the weather was brilliant and warm. We missed a cozy, comfortable lounge to seat outside. Kronenhof has a huge park, so there would be plenty of space for a lounge where you can get a pre dinner apéro or a small snack. The staff was very helpful and friendly including the hotel manager. When we asked for a service, it was done immediately.
Over all, this is a wonderful hotel if you love the old world charme and traditions. For us, it was a bit too formal (jacket for dinner...) and the design too old style. We like grand hotel but with a more contempory design and more informal atmosphere like for example Jungfrau -Victoria in Interlaken.

Room Tip: deluxe corner room 154 with patio, new wing
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have visited the Kronenhof many times in the last wenty years and find it better each time. It is luxurious but not ostentatiously so. Service is impeccable, breakfast and dinner both generous and imaginative; and the building is a marvelous reminder of a bygone era, with painted ceilings, mirrors and chandeliers. By contrast the bedrooms have been modernized with excellent taste and provide every comfort. The Engadine in the summer is a joy, particularly early when the spring flowers are at their best;; I cannot imagine that there is a better base from which to explore the mountains than the Kronenhof

Room Tip: south facing rooms on the higher floors have wonderful views straight up to the mountains above the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I spent two weeks cycling from three different cities in Switzerland. My most wonderful stay was at the Grand Hotel Kronenhof. The staff always went out of their way to make me comfortable, to fulfill my needs and find avenues to do more so that I was comfortable. As an example I was late returning from riding the Maloja and Julier Passes on my bike. I wanted and needed to get to St. Moritz to watch the Tour De Suisse roll thru town, not a common thing for them to do but they made an exception and drove me St. Moritz. They do pickup and return you to the station in Samedan but not usually do they provide shuttle service. The food was exceptional and my favorite meal of the breakfast, I should have taken a picture because mere words would not do it justice. I would return and plan to do so! I booked the Engadin Spring Package with a comfort Suite and it was very roomy and comfortable.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Comfort Suite with a balcony to the South. Excellent view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Cuba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The hotel is very luxury and the rooms are ncreible. The service is good but the best is the food. The view of the rooms are very nice. The white water river beside is something you have to see.
I spent one week there with my partner and we had a real good time. I would like to come back one day.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, with amazing view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diego O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontresina
Kulm Hotel St. Moritz
Badrutt's Palace Hotel
Badrutt's Palace Hotel
#4 of 34 in St. Moritz
4.5 of 5 stars 310 reviews

Been to Grand Hotel Kronenhof? Share your experiences!