“Great hotel in the middle of nowhere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Station

Hotel Station
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Pontresina
California
“Great hotel in the middle of nowhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

We were forced to stay in Pontresina one night because it was a handy overnight point between back-to-back days of the Glacier and Bernina Express trains. The location could not be beat for a one-night stay...it was about 50m from the train station. I had seen pictures of the hotel on the website and was able to spot it right away as we walked out of the train station. It was the most expensive hotel I had paid for in Switzerland (200SF, yikes) but was immaculately clean and provided the amenities needed after a LOOONG day on the Glacier Express. The floors in both the room and bathroom were heated, which triggered excitement in me, since all the other hotels we stayed at so far were homely B&B's. Two free bottles of water were provided free of charge, which my husband and I were grateful for, because there were no markets in proximity, and enjoyed the little chocolates left on our pillows.

The next morning, we had slept in due to taking the later Bernina Express train. As I paid for the hotel room, the receptionist asked if we had breakfast yet as we were 5 minutes past the close of breakfast (10:00). When I had replied no, he insisted that my husband and I grab some breakfast before they start cleaning up. I thought this was very thoughtful of them; he could have cared less and not even mentioned breakfast, but showed genuine concern for us. Then, I hurriedly fetched my husband upstairs, ate breakfast (then 10:15) and were able to eat quickly and depart by the required 11:00 check-out time. Thank you so much for your hospitality!

Regarding the distance to the downtown area, it's a short 10 minute walk uphill to the resort area. My guidebook warned that it is a steep hike, but it was really no big deal. The views walking up and down are beautiful, but that's pretty much all to see in the town. The resort area was also pretty dead around 18:00, so the only activity we partook in up there was eating dinner.

Room Tip: You really get what you pay for.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

I came here to the Hotel Station for 1 night stay I arrived and i wanted some hot boiled water after a long argument I was told they had some but it costed 4chf i asked why and they said it cost them money so they must charge me. I agreed and then I was told that I couldn’t have it in the end even with paying because the chef was not there anymore.
The rooms are nice but staff are cheap and no idea about what they’re doing and I think this hotel can’t live up what it promises the sauna it offers was closed when we arrived and the next day I was told I was no longer able to use it with a feeble excuse if I had checked out after paying 250chf I expect some flexibility and not this constant battle for every little thing I don’t recommend this hotel if you want hassle free stay because it won’t be. I hope the service improves or it will be having allot more unhappy customers like the others in front of us in the queue in the hotel
Beware of these points

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sam A
Advance,NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Station on a 14 day trip to Switzerland. We found it to be the newest and nicest accommodation of our trip and by far the best value for the money. In contrast to Zermatt and Lauterbrunnen where we also traveled, Hotel Station offerred free transporation passes with stays of three days. We estimate that the passes ,which covered train,funiculars, chair lifts, gondolas,etc. in the area, saved us at least $400 during our 3 day stay and enabled us to see much more. The hotel is new, clean, bright and cheerful. The staff were extremely helpful. They even made a call and translated for us when we encountered a problem with our rental car. The hotel resturant was also excellent and reasonably priced.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Navan, Co. Meath
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

Spent 3 nights in this hotel and we found the room comfortable. We were staying on a ski/hotel package. The ski part didn't work out and the hotel were not particularly helpful in this area. As we'd never been to the area before we were unfamiliar with how the package was to work. I found the hotel quite expensive seen as it was out of season and the hotel was fairly basic. The restaurant (pizzeria) adjoining the hotel was ok, we ate in it one night. I did however find the breakfast quite poor wiht little choice. This hotel is ok if you're on a budget and you can get it at budget prices. It is right next to the station which was handy when we were catching trains around the area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KCNavan
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

Hotel choices in Pontresina in May are very limited as most are closed for the month. The Station Hotel is located across the street from the train station and a 10-15 minute walk from downtown. It is a fairly new hotel although I believe the adjacent restaurant has been in business for a number of years. It is very clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. We spent one night there and enjoyed our view of the mountains and the sound of the river passing outside out window. Breakfast was included - fairly ordinary European hotel buffet - and we also enjoyed a very good dinner in the restaurant. We were taking the Glacier Express the day we left and wanted to take a "picnic" along rather than the more formal meal on the train. We ordered "lunches to go" from the restaurant when we checked in. They were ready for us when we checked out in the morning and were delightful. There is no free computer to use but I believe we were told there was WiFi on the lounge area if you had your own laptop.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
BXL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

We are really happy to choose this hotel. Center of Pontresina was not far anyway. Most importantly – the hotel is right at the gateway to activities in the area.

It is situated next to the train station. Our worries of potential noise were unwarranted. When you open the window the only noise you here is one of the mountain river just next to it. The hotel is totally new, elegant, and clean. There is free parking but only for a dozen of cars or so, otherwise one would have to pay. The staff was professional and polite

The restaurant is really good, tasty meals. They make some of the best pizzas I’ve ever had. Every evening the restaurant was full. We were little bit disappointed with the food quality of restaurants in Switzerland in general. That said, the hotel’s restaurant is really good. However, we would highly recommend restaurant in the hotel Albris. We loved their food and the service was great.

Rooms were clean, nicely furnished. I did not like the floor tiles that much, it was really cold. And the beds were quite narrow – not more than 70cm/27inches wide. But I “manage” for 4 nights.

There are many great hiking and walking trails starting next to the hotel. Another top attraction – the railroad is few steps next to it. In one direction the train will take you to St. Moritz in 10 minutes and in other direction to Italy through Bernina pass. It’s a must – take the train at least to Alp Grum. You can get off the train at any station, hang around and take the next train. St. Moritz was a disappointment for us. We are really happy not to stay there as originally planned.

Hikers should hike Val Roseg valley to either Coaz Hut or Tschierva Hut. The trail starts at the hotel. The second really nice hike I would recommend is to Boval Hut above Morteratsch Glacier. You can start either at the hotel or take a train to Morteratsch Station and hike form there. From Monteratsch station there is a nice lazy walk to the head of the glacier.

The only real disappointment came when paying. Swiss have a habit to charge for everything and whenever there is an opportunity – it seems. Most hotels provide a cot (baby bed) for free only up to 2 years of child’s age. Afterwards they charge anything from 20-70 CHF per night. Since it seems ridiculous to pay almost the full price of a cot for one night we brought our own travel cot. At our final bill they charged us 5 CHF/night explaining that it was for the daughter’s breakfasts. We have never experienced anything like that before. Moreover, they do not offer (as quite often in Switzerland) Kids menu. Even when we asked small spaghetti for her they brought and charged adults meal. 5 CHF is not a big deal but as a matter of principle we do not like it.

We have no problem to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)